Avoiding rates on new house- NI

Started by giveherlong, April 09, 2018, 11:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

Anybody any advice on how to put off paying the rates on a new house? Appealed their completion date saying house won't be finished etc and now they want to arrange an inspection. They'll land out to find us living in the house as most of work done. I've no doorstep or wheelchair ramp access which someone mentioned could be an exemption? Anyone know of any other exemptions?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: giveherlong on April 09, 2018, 11:29:45 PM
Anybody any advice on how to put off paying the rates on a new house? Appealed their completion date saying house won't be finished etc and now they want to arrange an inspection. They'll land out to find us living in the house as most of work done. I've no doorstep or wheelchair ramp access which someone mentioned could be an exemption? Anyone know of any other exemptions?

Buy a caravan? Rates is rates, I just got my bill in yesterday, £1385!! Be interested to hear how I can pay less or none at all!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Ya can't smuggle a house into Louth. :D
My LPT is €90 per annum.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2018, 08:52:11 AM

Buy a caravan? Rates is rates, I just got my bill in yesterday, £1385!! Be interested to hear how I can pay less or none at all!

Can you apply for a rates review?

My rates are £2100 per year and I'm thinking about applying for one.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 10, 2018, 11:40:45 AM

Thats a serious bill!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2018, 11:41:56 AM

Thats a serious bill!

Scary! For a house up a lane with no streetlights, our own water & we've to take the bins 500 yards to the end of the lane!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 10, 2018, 11:53:25 AM

Thats a serious bill!

Scary! For a house up a lane with no streetlights, our own water & we've to take the bins 500 yards to the end of the lane!

So the rates are for what lol??!!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2018, 11:54:15 AM

Thats a serious bill!

That's what I'd like to find out lol..

David McKeown

They sent me a letter in my last house as soon as I moved in in 2007 saying my apartment was rate exempt and they would get back to me when the exemption ended. Long story short the letter was issued in error and they came looking ten years of rates but we settled on 5 as they accepted it was their error and the letter should have gone to the builder.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2018, 11:54:15 AM

Thats a serious bill!

Nothing. An excuse to take money from you.

RedHand88

Thats insane!

balladmaker

Rates has to be one of the most corrupt taxes in the north i.e. based on value of house, not on what you actually receive for it.  The higher the house value, the higher the rates, with a ceiling of 5k.  Because a house has a higher value doesnt mean you have more cash in the bank to pay for the extra rates.  All houses get the same services, same bin collection, street lighting (in some cases there's none), same leisure centre facilities etc etc.  And it's the direct reason why a couple I know, both now 80, have decided to sell up, can no longer afford the yearly rates of £1800.  None of the political parties are going to want the system changed either.

paddyjohn

Quote from: balladmaker on April 10, 2018, 12:36:00 PM
Rates has to be one of the most corrupt taxes in the north i.e. based on value of house, not on what you actually receive for it.  The higher the house value, the higher the rates, with a ceiling of 5k.  Because a house has a higher value doesnt mean you have more cash in the bank to pay for the extra rates.  All houses get the same services, same bin collection, street lighting (in some cases there's none), same leisure centre facilities etc etc.  And it's the direct reason why a couple I know, both now 80, have decided to sell up, can no longer afford the yearly rates of £1800.  None of the political parties are going to want the system changed either.

When our house was built 12/13 year ago is was worth £240k, we bought it 2 years ago and it was worth £185k. Rates have stayed the same and we tried last year to get the rates looked at but were advised not to incase they bumped them up, which happened to a family in the lane. They are saying our view comes into the decision.

BennyCake

Quote from: balladmaker on April 10, 2018, 12:36:00 PM

Rates is bollix. If rates is paying for leisure centres, why am I charged again when using the gym or swimming?

The way I look at it is: build a big house, you obviously have more money, so we want more of that money. Load of balls.

Minder

Quote from: David McKeown on April 10, 2018, 12:06:35 PM
They sent me a letter in my last house as soon as I moved in in 2007 saying my apartment was rate exempt and they would get back to me when the exemption ended. Long story short the letter was issued in error and they came looking ten years of rates but we settled on 5 as they accepted it was their error and the letter should have gone to the builder.

I didn't think they could go back that far David
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"