Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBallWeeBall

Payment of management has always been a thorny issue for us Gaels. Here are my thoughts.

I would not be in favour of it but I know it goes on, a bit like the parish priest and adultery.. Lol, but over time people have looked the other way at this practice.
I grew up in Belfast and now live in my country mansion and I feel there's generally a different stance on this topic between Belfast & SW with country clubs being more Liberal IMO.  There could be many reasons for this, the traditional and historic over reliance on social clubs in Belfast (I benefited as a youth player from this income), greater parochial pull in the country and this is a possibly discussion for a different day.
However for me there's an easy way to show why we should not pay.
The rumours are annual amounts £10 - £30 K for coaches, if £15 k is taken then that's roughly 250 size 5 O'Neills f/balls foregone  or a new kit for every team in the club every year or a new minibus every few years... Etc. It could even pay insurance costs and fees each year or reduce the cost of membership in difficult times. Everyone benefits.
For clubs that use in house coaches how would they feel or react if paid managers come in. It's hardly a vote of confidence in their ability and if clubs insist on paying then could they pay their own ex players first....reward them for the years of self sacrifice and service.
Clubs in the SW have supposedly paid top dollar for a good number of years but this has not paid dividends  with silverware. I think that only Cargin from SW have won senior championship with St Galls/Johns/Pauls Rossa and L D all wining fromn1990 to 2020.  My fear is that the chase success at all costs culture could in the near future result in outside minor coaches being paid. This would be a fatal blow to our organisation. I know this idea can be scoffed at but 30 years ago were we paying outside managers?

Milltown Row2

30 years ago and more there was 'incentives' not just for managers but players also, especially in Belfast ffs..

Jobs, 'expenses' has been about for a long time, back when you had to make a call to arrange a game,  players notifications and the like, I'd have had those costs covered going back 20 years or more and that was for looking after the Southy team when I was player manager, so there was ones getting more than me for the senior teams.

Payments have been and will continue to be done.

Take the nolgastic glasses off, it happened

I definitely think the prices seem higher than the actual tbf
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Peter john on January 16, 2021, 01:16:06 PM
Milltown if memory serves me right,Fay Devlin and Gavin Mc Geehan were part of P Murray management last season,weren't driving for the loughshore for nothing

I think if you're driving any distance you won't use your own fuel, and why should they?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

so are  youse boys saying make manager payments part of the rules so its not cheating and secretive? At least that with some caps on the amounts paid and proper penalties for breaking trules would be better than the murky stuff we have now. still have My doubts it can be afforded in Long run

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 16, 2021, 06:18:42 PM
so are  youse boys saying make manager payments part of the rules so its not cheating and secretive? At least that with some caps on the amounts paid and proper penalties for breaking trules would be better than the murky stuff we have now. still have My doubts it can be afforded in Long run

Who's saying that?

If I've asked ( say I'm a manager) someone to travel 60 miles to coach or do strength conditioning, something I'm not skilled at I shouldn't pay him for coming up the road?

Very bizarre, and another thing if the players or an outside person pays for it then what's the issue?

BigBallWeeBall

MR2 Incoherent gobbledygook

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 07:02:11 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 16, 2021, 06:18:42 PM

Who's saying that?

If I've asked ( say I'm a manager) someone to travel 60 miles to coach or do strength conditioning, something I'm not skilled at I shouldn't pay him for coming up the road?

Very bizarre, and another thing if the players of an outside person pays for it then what's the issue?
The issue is that u Just cant have no rules about money or the richest just buy the championship with highly Paid coaches, managrs backrom teams, etc etc  - so you Want no rules on money???????? would like to ref a Match with no rules??????

Milltown Row2

I'm really surprised you 'two' came together straight after that.

Ok what's wrong with paying someone for traveling? But ok to pay a physio?

Answer me that you two or one I suspect

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 09:01:17 PM

Do You really have no worries about the richest clubs using ther money to buy their Way to success?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 16, 2021, 09:10:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 09:01:17 PM

Do You really have no worries about the richest clubs using ther money to buy their Way to success?

I'll ask one more time, if you don't want to answer it that's fine.

Do you expect to have someone drive 120 round trip for nothing? Do you think a physio should be doing it for nothing? And while I'm at it should referees get no expenses either?

Belfast GAA man

reasonable expenses is no big issuE for me.
Ill ask u again Rich clubS paying big money for coaches etc is fair? when not every Club has money to do it
YouU are a tad paranoid

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 16, 2021, 10:39:07 PM
Ill ask u again Rich clubS paying big money for coaches etc is fair? when not every Club has money to do it
YouU are a tad paranoid

Paranoid?

Listen if it's not in the rules it's wrong, there's ifs buts or maybes, what happens happens, it's up to Croke Park to stamp down on it..

By the same token expenses should be paid to all volunteers, no one should be out of pocket

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 10:44:55 PM
YouU are a tad paranoid

Paranoid?

Listen if it's not in the rules it's wrong, there's ifs buts or maybes, what happens happens, it's up to Croke Park to stamp down on it..

By the same token expenses should be paid to all volunteers, no one should be out of pocket
Let's cut to chase - u think it ok example for a Sean kelly or ciaran mcgourty to be paid by St Johns to manage St Johns against st galls and beat st galls? when they learnt all they know at st galls

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 16, 2021, 10:57:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2021, 10:44:55 PM
YouU are a tad paranoid

Paranoid?

Let's cut to chase - u think it ok example for a Sean kelly or ciaran mcgourty to be paid by St Johns to manage St Johns against st galls and beat st galls? when they learnt all they know at st galls

What chase? Those lads live in Belfast so no expenses would be given, and those lads wouldn't be accepted or go to the Johnnies

Dreen

I'm not a fan of paying coaches but when a club is left without options within, what do they do?
The workload involved with senior management is heavy and there aren't always people stepping up to do it.
It's ok for people to say about coaches working with underage teams but in truth how many are capable of managing a group of 30 adults?