The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Mourne Rover

Sadly, we blew it again. We didn't play particuarly well, and Millwall were strong at the back, but the missed penalty was a killer. It drained our confidence, and, even when we did score, we looked a bit vulnerable afterwards. Their goal duly arrived, but all our defenders seemed to freeze when the ball came across the face of the goal.

A  third season in the third division is hard to take, but we should have the right manager now and it must be automatic promotion the next time round. Onwards and upwards.

stew

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 14, 2009, 10:28:01 PM
Sadly, we blew it again. We didn't play particuarly well, and Millwall were strong at the back, but the missed penalty was a killer. It drained our confidence, and, even when we did score, we looked a bit vulnerable afterwards. Their goal duly arrived, but all our defenders seemed to freeze when the ball came across the face of the goal.

A  third season in the third division is hard to take, but we should have the right manager now and it must be automatic promotion the next time round. Onwards and upwards.

I was pulling for Leeds because of the like of Rufus and other Leeds supporters on here. I hope that next go round they get the job done, they are too big a club to be languishing in was in effect Division three.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

Cheers for that Stew!

As I wrote elsewhere, that's at least one more year in the wilderness and the dream of the Premiership is as far away as ever.   :'(

It will be at least 2011 before Leeds are back in the top flight - but in reality it could be a decade or more. Leeds are in danger of becoming an established third tier team.

Never felt comfortable with the match itself, even after going one up, and were caught by a sucker punch. Didn't do enough to be honest in the two legs to justify going through. Becchio has come on in leaps and bounds this year, but for all Beckford's goals, he still blows hot and cold.

I still reckon Grayson is a good manager, and with a full season at the helm, I'd be optimistic next year about automatic promotion, although that said, the thought of three relatively big clubs coming down would tend to dampen that optimism somewhat.

There does appear though to be a real need to bounce straight back after relegation, as Leicester showed - those 15 points last year, which cost that automatic second place, still weigh heavily - even now!

B@!!@cks!

longball

Cant see Beckford or Delph staying now thou.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Billys Boots

QuoteLeeds are in danger of becoming an established third tier team.

I feared that, having seen them a few times on the telly this year.  With the income they now have, a decent manager, and debts cleared, it shouldn't take a decade to get back Rufus (will it?).  Not convinced by Beckford either, and I'm not sure they'll get much for him.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 15, 2009, 09:32:41 AM

I feared that, having seen them a few times on the telly this year.  With the income they now have, a decent manager, and debts cleared, it shouldn't take a decade to get back Rufus (will it?).  Not convinced by Beckford either, and I'm not sure they'll get much for him.
In the 5th minute of injury time last night, Leeds needed a goal to force extra time and Beckford is engaging in handbags with a Millwall player in the middle of the park, stinking attitude.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 15, 2009, 09:32:41 AM

I feared that, having seen them a few times on the telly this year.  With the income they now have, a decent manager, and debts cleared, it shouldn't take a decade to get back Rufus (will it?). 

Grayson does seem to be a very good manager alright Billy, given his record at Blackpool and how he steadied the Leeds boat this season after coming in at Christmas. He is also a big Leeds fan - I assume he is a local lad, so there would be added incentive to stay and do well.

I could see him getting Leeds up in the next couple of seasons, but I'd be afraid that unless something else happens - new owners with fresh investment - then the Championship is going to be the height of their ambitions. Uncle Ken does not appear to have the resources needed to make a difference.

I don't think it is a coincidence that it seems to be the same group of teams that are bouncing back and forward between the Premiership and the Championship, and I reckon these 'parachute payments' simply put the Birmingham / WBAs / Watfords of this world on a different spending plane from, for example the Plymouth Argyles / Barnsleys / QPRs of this world.

SLIGONIAN

Disaster, absolutely gutted, just cant believe we didnt get up this yr and form we were in going into the play offs.

With Norwich, Southampton and Charlton coming down it will be even harder next yr.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

But Grayson is a good manager so were in good hands, some Leeds support the other night and gave millwall a clap aswell after the game. We deserve better than L1.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Billys Boots

QuoteI reckon these 'parachute payments' simply put the Birmingham / WBAs / Watfords

That would indeed appear to be the case Rufus, it means they have the big spending power in the division, and should be able to buy thier way back.  C'mon Burnley. 

town lad

Any off you guys venture to the Oval on Saturday?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: town lad on July 19, 2009, 11:08:48 PM
Any off you guys venture to the Oval on Saturday?

Had thought about going up, but was dependent on a few lads that I know through work going. That fell through and I didn't fancy venturing up on my own.

Heard they won 3-1 - any reports? I know they drew 2-2 with Shelbourne, and he played more or less two teams - Beckford got both those goals!

Have been disappointed to date at the lack of new names coming in! 

SLIGONIAN

Played 5 won 5, impressive start. Graysons a quality manager, did a great job at Blackpool , we got 8 million for Delph not bad for a player just out of our youth system, looks good player and should make it, hope we keep Beckford today....

we drew Liverpool at home in Carling cup, should get a big crowd..things looking up for us at last.

Stockport at home this weekend.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

WeAreBlueWeAreWhite

Things will only start looking up for Leeds when they are no longer playing teams like Stockport at the weekends
AND A BOTTLE OF RITZ FOR ME LAC