Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 28, 2016, 12:21:07 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 28, 2016, 12:14:00 PM
Very true. Croker is virtually empty for the Junior and Intermediate A.I finals. That doesn't detract from how special it is to the players and clubs involved!

Yeah, players speak warmly of being able to hear their friends and family support from the stands in these virtually empty finals in Croker.

Playing and stepping out on Croke park for a club final with your friends and your family in the stand will always stay with everyone involved.... having witnessed it and been on the pitch i can certaianly say that it is truly a wonderful feeling.... until you get stuffed!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: theskull1 on October 28, 2016, 02:22:05 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 28, 2016, 01:48:03 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 28, 2016, 12:37:16 PM
To generate interest in our games Antrim should be looking for facilities that are capable of generating the right atmosphere for the crowd that we expect to be there. If not, then only the die hards will attend.   

Than let them build their own stadium with a 3000 capacity.

Any reason for your tone? Could you not agree that its a reasonable point being made and that it needs to be considered?

This is not an Antrim stadium. This is a stadium funded by the NI government on behalf of the Ulster council. Having a modern stadium in your midst should be a benefit, not a disadvantage. In Armagh, we have up to 15% of the relevant population attending games, the county final had about 7% of the population. Do something the same in Antrim and you have no problem.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Walter Cronc

Personally I think the 'park & ride' issue has been given a bit of a free reign by the press. Think the GAA could be pulling a fast one there! Norn Iron isn't exactly a place where such infrastructure and facilities are common!

armaghniac

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 28, 2016, 03:19:13 PM
Personally I think the 'park & ride' issue has been given a bit of a free reign by the press. Think the GAA could be pulling a fast one there! Norn Iron isn't exactly a place where such infrastructure and facilities are common!

Places like the Sprucefield P&R are well suited for transport to Casement, and the train is nearby.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

MoChara

Heard the fella from moorland and OwenFarrah residents group on radio Ulster earlier, he sounded like there was gonna be a problem with the new plans while also saying they hadn't fully investigated them.

His big problem seemed to be the safety aspect of the first review saying 18k Max but now it's still 35k, what exactly has that got to do with a residents group. It sounds to me like the GAA could build it in Offaly and they'd still have problems. 

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on October 28, 2016, 04:32:08 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 28, 2016, 03:19:13 PM

Places like the Sprucefield P&R are well suited for transport to Casement, and the train is nearby.

Probably some scope for somewhere like boucher playing fields.

JimStynes

Quote from: theskull1 on October 28, 2016, 12:37:16 PM
You're dancing around the question Gs Man .... I never said the old casement had a good atmosphere .... it didn't

Would you look forward to watching your favorite band (with say a 5 thousand following) in a 35K stadium? I know the answer is no. Both the band and fans know the venue is critical for atmosphere and both would know a cavernous venue (which dwarfs the crowd attending) is shite for atmosphere. People would get turned off attending. You know this is the truth yet you expect the GAA fanbase to remain 'pious' and attend (and enjoy it) regardless  :-\

To generate interest in our games Antrim should be looking for facilities that are capable of generating the right atmosphere for the crowd that we expect to be there. If not, then only the die hards will attend.   

You couldn't swing a cat round Dunsilly pitches .... there is zero space to develop. Shame there was no forward thinking in that regard

What would you like to see Skull? Genuinely interested. Taking into account the conditions on how the money should be spent.

How much of a walk is the nearest train station to Casement?

culchie11

Quote from: culchie11 on December 23, 2014, 01:53:44 PM
Jeez lads, stop pancaking about traffic. wudnt like to see u all in around the castlecourt today or tomorrow lol

there was talk at a stage that gaa would acquire ground off the boucher road & make a walkover from there to casement, crossing the motorway. not sure how true though?!

recently for the game for anto, there were shuttle buses from central station, surely something like this will be in service come match day.
u dont really expect to go to any event nowadays with some form of traffic congestion!

anyway these are merely the end of the process, i wud like to c a start happening first & foremost!!

My thoughts nearly 2 years ago & they r still the same today!! Get it approved and valid certificates and then worry about park and rides. It will work!!

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: MoChara on October 28, 2016, 06:57:06 PM
Heard the fella from moorland and OwenFarrah residents group on radio Ulster earlier, he sounded like there was gonna be a problem with the new plans while also saying they hadn't fully investigated them.

His big problem seemed to be the safety aspect of the first review saying 18k Max but now it's still 35k, what exactly has that got to do with a residents group. It sounds to me like the GAA could build it in Offaly and they'd still have problems.
I'd say they're still hoping to get a few quid from the GAA
Careful now

theskull1

Quote from: JimStynes on October 28, 2016, 09:48:20 PM
What would you like to see Skull? Genuinely interested. Taking into account the conditions on how the money should be spent.

How much of a walk is the nearest train station to Casement?

What I thought of when I read that  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkcKQmr7kRc

1.3 Miles
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Redhand Santa

So the residents main concern is about health and safety leaving the stadium? Seems like any excuse to complain. I don't think it's up to them to judge on the issue and would imagine the ones complaining aren't experts in the area.

JimStynes

Quote from: stiffler on October 29, 2016, 07:36:01 AM
Knock 10k off the capacity and stick a roof on it.

No way, sure the atmosphere will be crap with all the empty seats  ::)

Redhand Santa

Also why has health and safety concerns around capacity only become an issue for them in the new stadium? The old casement had over 25000 in it on a number of occasions in the last 25 years and it wasn't an issue for them then. I'm sure the new stadium will be safer than the old one too.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera