Roscommon v Armagh AI Round 1 Quailifer

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2012, 02:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Given the players Armagh have access to, are they not the most under performing county in Ireland??

moysider

Quote from: JP on June 18, 2012, 05:18:33 PM
How are Roscommon going to stop Jamie Clarke?

By bringing back Harry Keegan or Pat Doorey ;D They d stop him by making sure he didn t start ;D

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on June 18, 2012, 05:03:28 PM
Armagh are a D2 team; we're a D3 team that was nearly promoted with a horrid list of absentees thanks to club, Sigerson, u21 and injuries. There is no great chasm between the teams if we don't come out with the defeatist attitude some supporters always (and I mean always) espouse.

I'm not going to play the poor mouth when there's nothing to be gained from it. There's no point coming to a discussion board and acting like a politician running for office.

The 'rumours' he's talking about aren't even rumours, a few of the 2006 minors have went off to the States on J1s for the summer, visas that had to be booked weeks, if not months, in advance. Rosfan will try to play up the angle that they somehow hated Des Newton and did it to shaft him but the reality is much less exciting.

The most important thing to happen since Galway is that we've started to seriously blood our stand-out u21s (Cathal Shine, Colin Compton and Donie Smith) and they've done well against decent opposition. A solid midfield is the key ingredient we've been missing all year and if Cathal Shine proves to be the answer there we've every chance of winning.

It's all well & good talking us up but can we deliver after our last shocking performance? Since the Galway game we have lost 4 players not just any players but All Ireland winners. The guys that came in to replace them are average club players & few U-21s with little or no senior championship experience. It doesn't look like our best midfielder Finneran will make this game & that will be key i feel.

No poor mouthing Syferus Armagh are currently a level ahead they are also better than Galway IMO, best we can hope for is a decent performance on the day & if our best isn't good enough so be it. Through all optimism sometimes you just have to be realistic.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

By putting Seanie Mc on him, presumably.

Seanie knows how to deal with tricky under-sized corner forwards - helped by the fact he's a tricky under-sized corner-back - which is typified by how he took David Kelly out of the 2010 Connacht final almost completely. If he hadn't Sligo would have walked that match.

It'll be the most important duel of the day outside the middle.

adevvabr

Armagh are a D2 team; we're a D3 team that was nearly promoted with a horrid list of absentees thanks to club, Sigerson, u21 and injuries. There is no great chasm between the teams if we don't come out with the defeatist attitude some supporters always (and I mean always) espouse.

I'm not going to play the poor mouth when there's nothing to be gained from it. There's no point coming to a discussion board and acting like a politician running for office.

The 'rumours' he's talking about aren't even rumours, a few of the 2006 minors have went off to the States on J1s for the summer, visas that had to be booked weeks, if not months, in advance. Rosfan will try to play up the angle that they somehow hated Des Newton and did it to shaft him but the reality is much less exciting.

The most important thing to happen since Galway is that we've started to seriously blood our stand-out u21s (Cathal Shine, Colin Compton and Donie Smith) and they've done well against decent opposition. A solid midfield is the key ingredient we've been missing all year and if Cathal Shine proves to be the answer there we've every chance of winning.

You obviously dont know anybody on the panel or close to the set up so, as a lot of the players are supposed to be very disappointed with Des Newtons set up which is well short of inter county standard. This will be more than likely be his only year in charge. Things are obviously in a very bad way when a lad as committed as David Keenan decides to pack it in for the year.

Agent Orange

Any time/date set for this yet? I assume it is in Hyde Park.

Syferus

Definitely the Hyde, unless it's fixed for the Sunday (we may be playing Galway at minor that Saturday) it'll be June 30th.

Rossfan

Quote from: adevvabr on June 18, 2012, 05:54:14 PM

You obviously dont know anybody on the panel or close to the set up so, as a lot of the players are supposed to be very disappointed with Des Newtons set up which is well short of inter county standard. This will be more than likely be his only year in charge. Things are obviously in a very bad way when a lad as committed as David Keenan decides to pack it in for the year.

Syferus has been described as "Delusional" and "Comical Ali" on the Ros forum stolensheep :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Quote from: Agent Orange on June 18, 2012, 05:58:06 PM
Any time/date set for this yet? I assume it is in Hyde Park.
We might have it in Kiltoom  :)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2012, 06:03:28 PM
Quote from: adevvabr on June 18, 2012, 05:54:14 PM

Syferus has been described as "Delusional" and "Comical Ali" on the Ros forum stolensheep :D

Sadly I can't repeat what you've been called for fear of being banned ;)

Captain Obvious

Even if they did other forwards like Mallon and Rafferty will step up. Roscommon won't be able to match Armagh fitness or high level intensity.

armaghniac

Roscommon should not be written off. Armagh have a poor enough record after losing Ulster games.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

emmetryan

If Armagh go man-to-man like they did against Tyrone then Roscommon will have a shot, if they drop some cover back to the full backs like Galway did then it's hard to see Roscommon coming out on top.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

seafoid

Quote from: ck on June 18, 2012, 05:20:41 PM
Given the players Armagh have access to, are they not the most under performing county in Ireland??
they have to join the end of the queue I'm afraid. Mayo are first and they have been very patient. 

ross4life

11 years of quailifers & this will only be our 4th home tie.

2003 Roscommon 0-14 Cork 1-10
2007 Roscommon 1-13 Kildare 2-13
2009 Roscommon 0-11 Wexford 0-8 *replay.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open