Roscommon v Armagh AI Round 1 Quailifer

Started by Syferus, June 18, 2012, 02:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

The clash of gaaboard.com titans, a game for the ages.

Beforehand I'd have said Armagh would be the toughest draw we could get but on recent form there isn't a big gap between the teams. The home draw for us is almost as important as the opponents this time as our home record in the qualifiers is far superior to our away form and after a big loss the last thing we'd need is being dragged off to Armagh.

What'll attendence be like? It has the potential to be the best of the bunch in Round 1.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on June 18, 2012, 02:26:00 PM
on recent form there isn't a big gap between the teams.

Please stop talking rot . >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Son, Armagh had a bad league campaign, were regelated and were quite similarly dispatched from last year's championship by Tyrone as we were. Like us they've not really made much noise in the championship out of their province in recent years, we're not exactly staring down Big Joe, McGeeney and Stevie Mc.

If this tie had happened in Round 4 last year it would have been close to a dead heat; if we're in the right state of mind it still will be on June 30th in the Hyde.

Orior

Someone please tell Jones Road that I've tickets for the Irish Open on 30th June.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Orior on June 18, 2012, 03:42:54 PM
Someone please tell Jones Road that I've tickets for the Irish Open on 30th June.

Done, will let you know what they say!

Onion Bag

Quote from: Orior on June 18, 2012, 03:42:54 PM

They have came back Orior asking when would suit you best?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2012, 03:29:54 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 18, 2012, 02:26:00 PM
on recent form there isn't a big gap between the teams.

Please stop talking rot . >:(
Considerably gap mate one that Roscommon will fall into. It's not will Armagh win but by how much.

regal

Any word on the armagh injuries? I would imagine the team will look something like....

1 - mcevoy
2 - amallon
3 - donaghy
4 - morgan (if fit) or moriarty
5 - I presume AK is injured. So Dyas in here
6 - McKeever
7 - PDuffy
8 - Toner
9 - hanratty
10 - Forker (if fit) or mackin
11 - bmallon
12 - ADuffy
13 - jamie
14 - mcparland
15 - rafferty

Hopefully mckeever will revert to 6. Donaghy to mark donie shine who is a class footballer and gave tyrone plenty of bother in croker last year.

Farrandeelin

If Ros players took to the pitch the same way syf does to the keyboard it'd be Galway v Armagh. But they didn't.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on June 18, 2012, 03:39:11 PM
Son, Armagh had a bad league campaign, were regelated and were quite similarly dispatched from last year's championship by Tyrone as we were. Like us they've not really made much noise in the championship out of their province in recent years, we're not exactly staring down Big Joe, McGeeney and Stevie Mc.

If this tie had happened in Round 4 last year it would have been close to a dead heat; if we're in the right state of mind it still will be on June 30th in the Hyde.
Your original post talked about recent form.
To me that's 2012 Provinvial Championship where Armagh showed they are in much the same place as they were last year i.e give Tyrone a game but fall short.
Meanwhile we lost by 14 points to a Galway team which subsequently lost by 5 to Sligo.
Sligo with a lot of the team we ( under Fergal  ;) ) bet in 2010.
We've gone back 20 points ( not under Fergal  ;) ;) ;)) since that heady day in Castlebar.
Factor in drop outs from the panel and rumours....
We'll be lucky to keep the ball kicked out to effin Armagh. :'( :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Armagh looked likely winners v Tyrone until they made that daft and unnecessary substitution near the end.

They only lost Div 1 status the last day of the league in a close battle with Donegal after playing the whole league without jamie Clarke and Aaron Kernan or any Crossmaglen player.

How Syferus can be optimistic under the circumstances is beyond me but hats off to his upbeat nature. What are the rumours Rossfan?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on June 18, 2012, 04:41:41 PM
Armagh looked likely winners v Tyrone until they made that daft and unnecessary substitution near the end.

They only lost Div 1 status the last day of the league in a close battle with Donegal after playing the whole league without jamie Clarke and Aaron Kernan or any Crossmaglen player.

How Syferus can be optimistic under the circumstances is beyond me but hats off to his upbeat nature. What are the rumours Rossfan?
Is Syferus,Mayo Mick related?

Syferus

Armagh are a D2 team; we're a D3 team that was nearly promoted with a horrid list of absentees thanks to club, Sigerson, u21 and injuries. There is no great chasm between the teams if we don't come out with the defeatist attitude some supporters always (and I mean always) espouse.

I'm not going to play the poor mouth when there's nothing to be gained from it. There's no point coming to a discussion board and acting like a politician running for office.

The 'rumours' he's talking about aren't even rumours, a few of the 2006 minors have went off to the States on J1s for the summer, visas that had to be booked weeks, if not months, in advance. Rosfan will try to play up the angle that they somehow hated Des Newton and did it to shaft him but the reality is much less exciting.

The most important thing to happen since Galway is that we've started to seriously blood our stand-out u21s (Cathal Shine, Colin Compton and Donie Smith) and they've done well against decent opposition. A solid midfield is the key ingredient we've been missing all year and if Cathal Shine proves to be the answer there we've every chance of winning.

ziggy90

Quote from: Syferus on June 18, 2012, 05:03:28 PM
Armagh are a D2 team; we're a D3 team that was nearly promoted with a horrid list of absentees thanks to club, Sigerson, u21 and injuries. There is no great chasm between the teams if we don't come out with the defeatist attitude some supporters always (and I mean [ialways][/i]) espouse.

I'm not going to play the poor mouth when there's nothing to be gained from it. There's no point coming to a discussion board and acting like a politician running for office.

The 'rumours' he's talking about aren't even rumours, a few of the 2006 minors have went off to the States on J1s for the summer, visas that had to be booked weeks, if not months, in advance. Rosfan will try to play up the angle that they somehow hated Des Newton and did it to shaft him but the reality is much less exciting.

The most important thing to happen since Galway is that we've started to seriously blood our stand-out u21s (Cathal Shine, Colin Compton and Donie Smith) and they've done well against decent opposition. A solid midfield is the key ingredient we've been missing all year and if Cathal Shine proves to be the answer there we've every chance of winning.

Good lad Syferus, fcuk the begrudgers.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

JP

How are Roscommon going to stop Jamie Clarke?