The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: tiempo on September 03, 2019, 12:24:02 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 02, 2019, 11:36:01 PM
Learn from last world cups.

Ireland will make the quarter finals this year even if they try their best not to. There is no obstacle.

The only way to win a World Cup is to put your most serious competition to bed. Ireland can only do that if firing on all cylinders.

If I was Schmidt i would play my B team throughout the group stage and hit the quarter finals with a completely fresh first team. If that's New Zealand, then so be it. We have a better chance of beating NZ with a fresh XV than we do of beating SA with a rolled up mess of a team. And then we would have momentum.

1000% on the money.
And they failed to recognise this at the last world cup too throwing the kitchen sink at France only for circumstances to ruin them and go down in flames v Argentina when they could have been unloading both barrels fresh at NZ

Scotland first, whilst a sticky enough game aren't big ignorant crash ball merchants, so you'd hope to put out the strongest team to get the job done and pick up no injuries. Win this a Schmidt can pick and chose who plays what in the next few games.

Japan next, you'd hope to give squad members game time and maybe try to run in a few trys with expansive game.

Then Russia, really empty the bench and wrap delicate members in cotton wool.

Finally Samoa who depending on other games vrs Scotland may still be in the mix and may be physical enough if let be.

If the first game was a win then its really a decision whether to go at NZ fresh or SA with a team coming off the back of a must win game against Samoa if Scotland get the better of that first game.

SA and NZ play first and then its plain sailing for both of them till the quarter finals. They'll both be fresh

England have their two hardest pool games at the end of the pool with Argentina and France. Here's hoping that bolloxes them  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on September 03, 2019, 12:23:26 PM

Ireland will make the quarter finals this year even if they try their best not to. There is no obstacle.

The only way to win a World Cup is to put your most serious competition to bed. Ireland can only do that if firing on all cylinders.

If I was Schmidt i would play my B team throughout the group stage and hit the quarter finals with a completely fresh first team. If that's New Zealand, then so be it. We have a better chance of beating NZ with a fresh XV than we do of beating SA with a rolled up mess of a team. And then we would have momentum.

1000% on the money.
And they failed to recognise this at the last world cup too throwing the kitchen sink at France only for circumstances to ruin them and go down in flames v Argentina when they could have been unloading both barrels fresh at NZ

Scotland first, whilst a sticky enough game aren't big ignorant crash ball merchants, so you'd hope to put out the strongest team to get the job done and pick up no injuries. Win this a Schmidt can pick and chose who plays what in the next few games.

Japan next, you'd hope to give squad members game time and maybe try to run in a few trys with expansive game.

Finally Samoa who depending on other games vrs Scotland may still be in the mix and may be physical enough if let be.

If the first game was a win then its really a decision whether to go at NZ fresh or SA with a team coming off the back of a must win game against Samoa if Scotland get the better of that first game.

SA and NZ play first and then its plain sailing for both of them till the quarter finals. They'll both be fresh

England have their two hardest pool games at the end of the pool with Argentina and France. Here's hoping that bolloxes them  ;D
Japan are at home and beat South Africa in 2015 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Capt Pat

I think in relation to Kleyn and Aki they are not much better than the second rows and centres we have. There is not much point in them being on the team, i would prefer to see Irish players like Toner getting in the squad and Henshaw and Ringrose starting in the centre.

In relation to Stander at number 8, I am happy enough to see him there as when he started out he was by far the best we had at the position. Conan might be a challenger now but there is really nobody else there.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 03, 2019, 03:37:40 PM
I think in relation to Kleyn and Aki they are not much better than the second rows and centres we have. There is not much point in them being on the team, i would prefer to see Irish players like Toner getting in the squad and Henshaw and Ringrose starting in the centre.

In relation to Stander at number 8, I am happy enough to see him there as when he started out he was by far the best we had at the position. Conan might be a challenger now but there is really nobody else there.

Stander is very much second best at 8.  His best days for Ireland are behind him, he is now so predictable if he can get his hands on the ball that the opposition have his number and sort him out. Conan must be a starter.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on September 03, 2019, 03:10:37 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 03, 2019, 12:23:26 PM

1000% on the money.

Japan are at home and beat South Africa in 2015

I know they are and they did, but if you've aspirations of playing beyond a quarter final then playing Japan in Japan with a Japanese referee shouldn't bother you.

Hound

I'd be very wary of Japan. I think they'll run both ourselves and the Scots close, and might even sneak a win.

I think CJ's a busted flush. The amount of penalties he gives away and turnovers he gives away always seem to be ignored and the very odd (these days) 10 metre carry gets praised to high heaven.

I see Thornley in the Times today reckons the omission of Addison means Carberry must be pencilled in for some game time at 15 in the world cup.  Not sure I'd draw that conclusion, but Larmour a bit lucky to hold on to his place.

Still can't get over Dev. It does not seem to be injury related judging by the reports I've read. Drico and Darcy expressing surprise but still not criticising Schmidt. Matt Williams on the other hand not afraid to criticise him at all (seems to be history there) - says he heard that since January they've been on a plan to get rid of Toner from the squad!
You could kind of, maybe, understand it if Kleyn was a superstar, but there's be no sign of that!

Dinny, what's your take on it?

seafoid

Other punters are saying that Toner's form hasn't recovered since he was injured and that they want more power . They have to get past the quarterfinals this time.
Is Best finished ?

https://youtu.be/EuuD5M61IFE

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: seafoid on September 04, 2019, 04:26:21 PM
Other punters are saying that Toner's form hasn't recovered since he was injured and that they want more power . They have to get past the quarterfinals this time.
Is Best finished ?

https://youtu.be/EuuD5M61IFE

Not finished....but becoming dangerously inconsistent

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Hound on September 04, 2019, 08:53:30 AM

I think CJ's a busted flush. The amount of penalties he gives away and turnovers he gives away always seem to be ignored and the very odd (these days) 10 metre carry gets praised to high heaven.

I see Thornley in the Times today reckons the omission of Addison means Carberry must be pencilled in for some game time at 15 in the world cup.  Not sure I'd draw that conclusion, but Larmour a bit lucky to hold on to his place.

Still can't get over Dev.

Conan must become the first choice 8, CJ has little new to offer, he can't do more than a couple of metres at best.

Larmour should have been left at home awaiting an injury call up. Addison has so much more to offer at 15, in the centre and as another place kicker when Sexton's and Carberry's turn out to be worse than thought as they fail in Japan. Larmour too often goes awol.

Not many can get over the lack of loyalty to Toner.

Gmac

The forwards in particular have had a big dip in form with Ryan the only one keeping his play up to previous standards and he's not there long ,wonder is the wear and tear of Ireland's game plan and the provinces in general having an affect on them and how many teeth rattling collisions can u have before the body and mind starts to deteriorate

Wildweasel74

Toner very strong at line out, at 6ft 11in anybody be handy at that height. With Best throwing average on a good day, I keep Toner there for line out, though he offers nothing else. The blow in, I know little about but if u playing All-blacks or S Africa in the last 8 the scrummaging in the pack must be top rate and he often this.

johnnycool

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on September 04, 2019, 08:35:11 PM

Conan must become the first choice 8, CJ has little new to offer, he can't do more than a couple of metres at best.

Larmour should have been left at home awaiting an injury call up. Addison has so much more to offer at 15, in the centre and as another place kicker when Sexton's and Carberry's turn out to be worse than thought as they fail in Japan. Larmour too often goes awol.

There is no loyalty in professional sport.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on September 05, 2019, 12:39:37 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on September 04, 2019, 08:35:11 PM

There is no loyalty in professional sport.
The printer at work still believes in him.
There is a message on it now that says "Reorder Toner"

seafoid

Injuries banjaxed the squad in 2015
Toner could still make it

https://youtu.be/38upQjuTMQA

BarryBreensBandage

A good send off for Schmidt and Best today. But its hard to believe Ireland are no.1 in the world.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".