Connacht SFC 2019

Started by Rossfan, April 23, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

In fairness NY sounded like a junior club team. Still, you can only beat what's in front of you I suppose. I hope you're right Cunny.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

19 fookin wides against a defence whom some were born and bred in Murcia. Not good enough , rossies waiting in the long grass and will give nothing away next week v Leitrim .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on May 05, 2019, 10:43:34 PM
19 fookin wides against a defence whom some were born and bred in Murcia. Not good enough , rossies waiting in the long grass and will give nothing away next week v Leitrim .

There is no long grass any more larry. Everybody knows everything about everybody. Ros. have to be well up to speed for Leitrim as well.

greatpoint

It only took Kildare to beat them last year. Galway too.

larryin89

Quote from: greatpoint on May 06, 2019, 04:30:12 AM

Yes and what's the point you're making exactly . Mayo are no longer the second best team in Ireland , we all know that.

Mayo seem to be building for the future from what we hear , this year is not a realistic chance of glory . 2021 you'd guess is the aim to have this squad primed , new facilities will be built, the whole "brand Mayo " thing is really taking off .

Horan will win Sam Maguire IMO ,just not yet ,hence his four year term also .

Rossfan

The Connacht Championship proper starts next Sunday in the Hyde.
Curtain raiser is a U20 League game Ros v Donegal.
It was to be a JFC game v Leitrim but we decided not to enter as we could only use Junior or Inter Club players because we had been in Div 1.
The Neighbours will be well up for this one and should bring a big crowd of hopefuls with them.
The scoreline at Ruislip should be a timely warning for our bucks but really anything other than a Ros win is unthinkable.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

greatpoint

Quote from: larryin89 on May 06, 2019, 08:40:38 AM

Yes and what's the point you're making exactly . Mayo are no longer the second best team in Ireland , we all know that.

Mayo seem to be building for the future from what we hear , this year is not a realistic chance of glory . 2021 you'd guess is the aim to have this squad primed , new facilities will be built, the whole "brand Mayo " thing is really taking off .

My point is that I don't agree with the poster who said that it will take a very good team to beat them this year. They were beaten by two less than good teams last year and for me beating New York isn't evidence that anything will be different this Championship.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: greatpoint on May 06, 2019, 02:48:10 PM

My point is that I don't agree with the poster who said that it will take a very good team to beat them this year. They were beaten by two less than good teams last year and for me beating New York isn't evidence that anything will be different this Championship.
I said when in full flow. Since last year Rochford is gone and Horan has returned. He has brought a new freshness to the team with a few new players and even the older players have spring in their step again. the only teams that beat Horan's Mayo in 2011-2014 was Dublin,Kerry and Donegal and everyone of them won the All Ireland. (very good teams that beat them)

The early championship exit last summer for a team that was on the go since 2011 could well be blessing in disguise and don't see them making unexpected championship exit this summer or conceding 21 scores in many if any game this summer. Winning well against New York is little evidence but winning a national title in Croke park against Kerry is serious momentum for this championship.

larryin89

I'd agree with ya there mostly .Ros will beat Leitrim , mayo will scrape by Ros and Galway will beat both Sligo and then Mayo in the final . We might get by the qualifier to get into super 8 but I'd expect both Kerry and Tyrone to beat us in super 8, which would leave us with a third or fourth place finish in group . I expect Galway to be the surprise package this year making an all Ireland final , Kerry v Galway one semi and tyrone v Dublin the other

Blowitupref

Quote from: larryin89 on May 06, 2019, 04:16:55 PM

I'd agree with ya there mostly .Ros will beat Leitrim , mayo will scrape by Ros and Galway will beat both Sligo and then Mayo in the final . We might get by the qualifier to get into super 8 but I'd expect both Kerry and Tyrone to beat us in super 8, which would leave us with a third or fourth place finish in group . I expect Galway to be the surprise package this year making an all Ireland final , Kerry v Galway one semi and tyrone v Dublin the other
I'd like to see your prediction for Mayo if they took a trimming off Tyrone in their final league game and stumbled over the line against London yesterday who finished bottom of Div 4. 

I'll be very surprised if this fully tuned in Mayo team don't at least reach the AI semi final this summer and unless Kerry improve in midfield and defensively they won't be reaching the last 4 again.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: larryin89 on May 06, 2019, 04:16:55 PM

Mayo might be there in the endgame. They are as good as Kerry, Galway and tyrone
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lar Naparka

Hon Larry, keep the faith! :D
Sure, they were beaten by two less than good teams last year and didn't seem to know their arses fro their elbows at the beginning of this year's league also.  But they comprehensively defeated Kerry twice afterwards, once in lousy weather in Tralee and again in good weather in Croke Park.
Kerry, btw, was the popular choice as favourites to face Dublin in the AI.
Mayo have another manager since the defeat to Newbridge and he is one with a record of excellence and have a load of new additions to the panel as well.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Baile Brigín 2

Job done, easy win in second gear, means nothing.

Would love a chance to head over there with the Dubs. But still not convinced of the merits. Would last years US, British and Europen champions in the championship proper not be a better idea?

Tubberman

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 06, 2019, 07:58:05 PM

Would love a chance to head over there with the Dubs. But still not convinced of the merits. Would last years US, British and Europen champions in the championship proper not be a better idea?

In the club championship you mean? British clubs already are. If you mean intercounty, how could they do any better than London or NY?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Tubberman on May 06, 2019, 08:06:31 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 06, 2019, 07:58:05 PM

In the club championship you mean? British clubs already are. If you mean intercounty, how could they do any better than London or NY?

But why London and NY every year? Warwickshire are just as good. Let the international winners take their places.