Great Donegal Players of the past two decades

Started by J70, November 24, 2006, 03:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

f**k it, everyone else is doing it! :-*

Best Donegal players of the past twenty years?

I've no idea how to do a poll, so I'll just list some possibilities. McHugh is obviously the standout, but no harm looking at some of the others.

Martin McHugh - far and away the most skillful and intelligent Donegal player, probably ever!

Manus Boyle - the ultimate big game player, who, scoring-wise, almost single-handedly won Senior and U-21 All Irelands for Donegal.

Tony Boyle - one of the best full forwards of the 90s. How great could he have been if not for the succession of injuries?

Anthony Molloy - We're still struggling to replace him in the middle of the field!

Adrian Sweeney - Seriously on the wane by now, but one of the top forwards in Ireland in the early years of this decade.

Kevin Cassidy - still early days for him, but he's been one of the best half-backs in the game since he announced his arrival against Cavan in '02 with that unbelievable point from way out on the wing with the outside of his boot.

Brendan Devenney - An extremely gifted if extremely frustrating player. Unmarkable on his good days (remember what he did to All Star Brian Lacey in Newbridge in '01?), but seems to have lost a bit of pace and confidence in recent years.

Barry McGowan - Classy and extremely composed forward who was converted into one of the best corner backs in the game. Tight marker, very good on the ball (Karl Lacey reminds me a bit of him). Strangely underrated outside of Donegal.

Martin Shovlin - Legend in the county. Tragically ruled out of the All Ireland final in 1992 just before the game with a neck injury.

Noel Hegarty - Very versatile strong player. Tight marker, great on the ball. Used to bomb up the field to get the odd vital score.

Others such as John Gildea, Damien Diver, Jim McGuinness (never the same player after the tragic car crash in 1998), Matt Gallagher and Declan Bonner probably all deserve a mention. No doubt I've overlooked some!

Blacksheep

Should you not organise it as a poll? I'd go for Martin McHugh.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

TORGAEL

hows she cutting

always thought Shovlin was a class act

but i suppose martin bug would have to get it

magpie seanie

Pity there's no poll.

Martin McHugh the best for me but Anthony Molloy the most valuable. Would not have won in '02 without the big Ardara man I feel though that could be said about a lot of them I suppose.

Bacon

Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Bogball XV

Where's the fecking poll??  Anyway, easily McHugh, Martin that is.

irunthev

What about the great mop-top of the 80s Tommy McDermott?

Lecale2

Do you not know how to organise a poll? My vote goes for Matt Gallagher. Best full back in Ireland (until he met Mickey Linden).

liihb

Molloy was the man for me, thought he was a class act, had most influence on the team in 92. Was my first all-ireland final, and Boyle was immense that day, but they all played well in fairness.
Always had good time for Joyce McMullan too, though maybe he wasn't in the same league as those boys
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.