Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 08, 2016, 09:41:45 PM
Just wondering...do any of you lads giving out about our County Board have any experience of scheduling fixtures or juggling multiple requests from awkward club secretaries and even more awkward club managers. I have worked with 4 fixtures secretaries in Down over the last 15 years or so and everyone of them have been nothing but obliging and decent. Sometimes they'll tell you to wise up and take a run and jump if you request something unrealistic....which is fair enough. Mistakes can be made ...no problem with that but in my experience the Down lads looking after fixtures get things right most of the time and do their best to accommodate sensible fixture changes where possible. No need to run them down on here....

Excellent post Paddy.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

oileain blues

Castlewellan awarded game, interesting to see Kilcoo s next move, trip to Ulster GAA for an appeal I think.
What a mess, this perennial problem has to be sorted , how is the question, I've sympathy for Kilcoo,best of luck in semi .

TheClutch

Quote from: oileain blues on November 09, 2016, 05:42:41 AM
Castlewellan awarded game, interesting to see Kilcoo s next move, trip to Ulster GAA for an appeal I think.
What a mess, this perennial problem has to be sorted , how is the question, I've sympathy for Kilcoo,best of luck in semi .

Has this been formally announced?
It is fair to say that the organising of fixtures is a nigh impossible task; with all clubs being guilty of trying to rearrange games for one reason or another throughout the season, which inevitably leaves a back log of fixtures to get fulfilled. As some one mentioned above a clear set of rules and procedures for postponing a fixture should be available on the website and enforced with absolutely no exceptions. With regards to clubs who go on to represent Down in Ulster, there should be a proposal made at the next convention to deal with this issue and an agreement among all clubs on how the completion of league fixtures will go ahead when still in Ulster.
However it is inexcusable for the county board to fix an U21 game for Kilcoo and then schedule the senior league final for the same night. Also had a look at the Down website there and the U21 game between Kilcoo & Carryduff is still scheduled for 12pm this Sunday, 2 and a half hours before the Ulster semi final in Newry; no matter how hard it is to arrange fixtures, things like this should not be happening.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

snoopdog

Down supporters hoping to see Marty Clarke back in the fold next year are set to be disappointed after his brother John admitted that a return is unlikely.

Clarke, who interrupted his AFL career to return home and inspire Down to an All-Ireland final appearance in 2010, was surprisingly overlooked by manager Eamonn Burns last year as the Mourne County endured a torrid season which saw them fail to win a competitive game. The 29-year-old was diagnosed with Addison's Disease in 2014, prompting him to return from Australia for good, but this hasn't stopped him from showing terrific form for his club.

"He's playing away with Queen's and he had a fantastic year with An Ríocht last year," John Clarke - who played alongside him in the 2010 All-Ireland final - told the Irish News.

"He almost single-handedly got them promotion to Division 1 and they lost out in the intermediate championship final. He's happy playing Sigerson for Queen's and he just feels that he can't give the level of commitment required at county level due to time constraints and also due to his Addison's Disease.

"That's where he is, but it could change if he was approached by Eamonn and maybe asked in the right manner. If he was asked to work with him in a more flexible manner he might consider it, but at the minute I can't see Marty playing for Down next year."

snoopdog

Quote from: snoopdog on November 11, 2016, 06:11:50 PM
Down supporters hoping to see Marty Clarke back in the fold next year are set to be disappointed after his brother John admitted that a return is unlikely.

Clarke, who interrupted his AFL career to return home and inspire Down to an All-Ireland final appearance in 2010, was surprisingly overlooked by manager Eamonn Burns last year as the Mourne County endured a torrid season which saw them fail to win a competitive game. The 29-year-old was diagnosed with Addison's Disease in 2014, prompting him to return from Australia for good, but this hasn't stopped him from showing terrific form for his club.

"He's playing away with Queen's and he had a fantastic year with An Ríocht last year," John Clarke - who played alongside him in the 2010 All-Ireland final - told the Irish News.

"He almost single-handedly got them promotion to Division 1 and they lost out in the intermediate championship final. He's happy playing Sigerson for Queen's and he just feels that he can't give the level of commitment required at county level due to time constraints and also due to his Addison's Disease.

"That's where he is, but it could change if he was approached by Eamonn and maybe asked in the right manner. If he was asked to work with him in a more flexible manner he might consider it, but at the minute I can't see Marty playing for Down next year."
d
Depressing and  shameful that we can't allow senior players some leeway. Especially Marty with his health issues.  Best player we developed in a long time and it's a shame a lot of kids won't see him play for the county. Few others in same bracket.

east down gael

'Almost single handedly got them promotion' is it?

5 Sams

Unfortunately the Irish News used quite a bit of poetic licence when using the quotes they got from John. The article doesnt reflect the interview apparently...typical press trying to make a story out of nothing. Disappointing...no need to embellish lads....otherwise good GAA coverage..
The Aristocrat Years

Square Ball

All, due to the success we, Bredagh, have had this season we have been nominated for an Aisling award. It's awarded on a public vote so can I ask you to vote for us please http://belfastmediagroup.com/sean-graham-sport-award16/
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Maurice Moss

Quote from: Square Ball on November 12, 2016, 02:37:53 PM
All, due to the success we, Bredagh, have had this season we have been nominated for an Aisling award. It's awarded on a public vote so can I ask you to vote for us please http://belfastmediagroup.com/sean-graham-sport-award16/

Just voted, all the best SquareBall

oileain blues

Good luck Bredagh, hope you win,and to Kilcoo I extend best wishes from the Island , hope you go on and win today and Ulster .
A recent post on another site quoted the Pro from Kilcoo talking about an agaenda against his club, he may have a point , we thought the same about how we were treated, my view is that the chairman of the ccc is an arrogant sod who only has one view of things HIS,I sincerely hope Kilcoo win today and win their appeal as the team who finish top of the league are in my eyes the league winners and there should be no need for league finals, time for change!!!!!

SHEEDY

nil satis nisi optimum

washed_up

Hope Kilcoo can continue today and record another win in  Ulster - hopefully a good Down crowd to cheer the magpies on-UTM!! Also good luck to Bredagh with their award nomination.

Maurice Moss

Cheers folks, hopefully we give Maghery a good go of her today! Regardless of what happens, the lads have done the parish proud!

#UTM

thebar

Square Ball

Thanks to all who voted for us, if you haven't please do so. Pity were not there for the game prior to the Kilcoo one, and best of luck to them
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid