Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

I expect us to win in clones also.We have improved a lot from the second game of the league where we should have beaten Monaghan and they have not improved IMO
We are a totally different animal now with Eamons on team now on the pitch
Down by 4
Watch the space

wobbller

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 12, 2016, 06:06:10 PM
I expect us to win in clones also.We have improved a lot from the second game of the league where we should have beaten Monaghan and they have not improved IMO
We are a totally different animal now with Eamons on team now on the pitch
Down by 4
Watch the space
Just keeping your prediction on the record here.

Line Ball

I too expect us to get close to Monaghan . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . actually close to Clones before we realise that we are going to get a hiding.  We'll be lucky if it doesn't get into double figures.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Line Ball on May 12, 2016, 08:35:29 PM
I too expect us to get close to Monaghan . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . actually close to Clones before we realise that we are going to get a hiding.  We'll be lucky if it doesn't get into double figures.

Unfortunately I think that you mightn't be too far from the truth here. I think the fact that 'a performance' would be cited as a positive really shows where things are in the county. Hoping for a win obviously but I don't think it's going to happen.

Gaffer

Quote from: charlieTully on May 12, 2016, 11:36:03 AM
Quote from: rosskarr on May 11, 2016, 11:39:16 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on May 11, 2016, 09:52:44 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on May 11, 2016, 06:38:20 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on May 11, 2016, 04:25:35 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on May 11, 2016, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: downup on May 11, 2016, 10:26:38 AM
Clubs got official notification last night. Apparently a few clubs were giving out about the starred games even though it was in the fixture list from the start. So they have pulled games this Friday and starred next Friday's games as county are playing a challenge game.
Absolute joke that these fixtures were to be starred without talking to the Clubs.

The clubs were spoken to at length about fixtures!
You are wrong on this point. It's only in the last few weeks that Clubs have realized the Fixtures
were to be starred this Friday.

If some clubs had bothered to turn up at the arranged meeting at beginning of April they would have been better informed!
i think you're on the wrong County message board here.

maybe the gaffer has moved to our beloved county?

Moved there 20 years ago. Wasn't on the wrong county message board !
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

rosskarr

Quote from: Gaffer on May 13, 2016, 07:13:18 AM
Clubs got official notification last night. Apparently a few clubs were giving out about the starred games even though it was in the fixture list from the start. So they have pulled games this Friday and starred next Friday's games as county are playing a challenge game.
Absolute joke that these fixtures were to be starred without talking to the Clubs.

You are wrong on this point. It's only in the last few weeks that Clubs have realized the Fixtures

If some clubs had bothered to turn up at the arranged meeting at beginning of April they would have been better informed!

You're living in Tyrone according to post you made in Feb this year about RTE coverage.Stay there.

SamFever

Quote from: Line Ball on May 12, 2016, 08:35:29 PM
Which would suit your total negativity to all things Down.

ardtole

I dont think any Down supporter would argue that Monaghan are clear favourites for the game next month. We had a difficult campaign in a tough league, were we had to blood a lot of young players for one reason or another.
We shipped a few heavy losses but as the campaign went on there were definitly signs of improvement. Im looking forward to the game, i love going to clones, i think we will give it a good rattle and stranger things have happened than us coming away with a victory. Its time to get behind the players that are there and give them some support instead of constant yapping.

SamFever

Quote from: ardtole on May 13, 2016, 03:14:16 PM
I dont think any Down supporter would argue that Monaghan are clear favourites for the game next month. We had a difficult campaign in a tough league, were we had to blood a lot of young players for one reason or another.
We shipped a few heavy losses but as the campaign went on there were definitly signs of improvement. Im looking forward to the game, i love going to clones, i think we will give it a good rattle and stranger things have happened than us coming away with a victory. Its time to get behind the players that are there and give them some support instead of constant yapping.
Correct.

Gaffer

Quote from: rosskarr on May 13, 2016, 08:58:00 AM

You're living in Tyrone according to post you made in Feb this year about RTE coverage.Stay there.

Down man now hi!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

SamFever

Quote from: Gaffer on May 13, 2016, 04:06:19 PM
Quote from: rosskarr on May 13, 2016, 08:58:00 AM

Down man now hi!
Welcome. What Club are you with now?

cut the crap

Firstly downup , you mentioned the clubs sack managers at a whim, last manager Jim McCorry left after clubs voted to keep him on a vote of 22 to 13 , the county executive voted to sack him on a vote of 8 in favour and 5 abstentions , so the clubs don't sack on a whim, next the clubs agreed to starred games from next week, Eamonn Burns obviously thought it was necessary for an additional round of games to be starred, so be it, if it helps get a result I'm all for it.I will going to Clones more in hope than expectation, but isn't that what sport is all about, we may get beat, perhaps even badly but it shouldn't stop us from getting behind our team, look what happened with Leicester , they were 5000/1 underdogs, last time I looked Down are no were near than price, so never say never An Dun Abu

wobbller

Quote from: cut the crap on May 14, 2016, 12:21:09 AM
Firstly downup , you mentioned the clubs sack managers at a whim, last manager Jim McCorry left after clubs voted to keep him on a vote of 22 to 13 , the county executive voted to sack him on a vote of 8 in favour and 5 abstentions , so the clubs don't sack on a whim, next the clubs agreed to starred games from next week, Eamonn Burns obviously thought it was necessary for an additional round of games to be starred, so be it, if it helps get a result I'm all for it.I will going to Clones more in hope than expectation, but isn't that what sport is all about, we may get beat, perhaps even badly but it shouldn't stop us from getting behind our team, look what happened with Leicester , they were 5000/1 underdogs, last time I looked Down are no were near than price, so never say never An Dun Abu
Cut the crap,You're in better form these days!😀

Line Ball

It's wonderful to be optimistic about the Monaghan game but I just can't get it.  Many of us travel in hope more than anything else and will some here are confident that we will do well I just cannot comprehend that it is good enough to accept a decent performance as a successful outcome.  We are a proud county and many of us have been brought up basking in success with regular Ulster finals at minor, U.21 and senior with many great days in Clones. They seem like a distant memory now and all of a sudden we are told we should expect that playing well and maybe keeping the score down can be seen as a positive, I tell you what we have dropped a long we if that is the case. We can blame the unavailability of players, the change of management, the county board, the underage structures, the list goes on.  We are simply not good enough at the minute, we do not have the players or an effective system of play which can win us a game in Ulster, I would love to be proved wrong though.  Someone told me the other day that we have not had any U21 players on the senior squad never mind team for the last two years, that is a sad state of affairs and shows how far our structures are way behind other counties in Ulster.  I cannot remember us being as low but putting up a good show in Clones will not be seen as success in my book, I'm sorry if some of you don't agree.

Smurfy123

I for one think we will beat Monaghan on June 6th
To say we just don't have the players is just wrong
All these players playing outstanding for there clubs at present
Mooney (10points against Bredagh?
Madine (tore burren to pieces)
Clarke (superb last night v rostrevor)
Laverty(consistent all year)
Millar(destroyed ford last night)
Arthur(unmarkable v kilcoo)
J Boyle (MOM display v bridge on Friday)
McArdle (assured full back for Castlewellan )

Down to beat Monaghan by 4

I expect to see a few of the above names play for Down this season