Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 20, 2016, 06:15:48 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 20, 2016, 03:26:05 PM
Some mess in relation to the Down U14 hurling Feíle, cancelled, not cancelled, moved to May, maybe not, needs to be played before that, maybe next week...who to f**k knows!

seen on facebook it was going ahead as planned now. bit of confusion alright, was told last night it was off.

Not sure of the timelines, but there were issues with pitches (  :-X  )and then we may have been offered another place at the National Feíle necessitating a change in the whole format from two separate leagues with the winners of each going down to Tipp to a third place on offer and then running off all teams into two subsections and then top four in Div1 Semi-finals, next 4 in Div2 Semi-finals and the last 2 in the Div3 final.

There'll be mismatches and so forth, but all the youngsters will get plenty of hurling and something for everyone to play for till the end, so hopefully the weather continues as is and its more about the youngsters prepared to turn up and play than those who aren't there!

wobbller

Quote from: johnneycool on April 21, 2016, 10:54:49 AM
Quote from: SHEEDY on April 20, 2016, 06:15:48 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on April 20, 2016, 03:26:05 PM
Some mess in relation to the Down U14 hurling Feíle, cancelled, not cancelled, moved to May, maybe not, needs to be played before that, maybe next week...who to f**k knows!

seen on facebook it was going ahead as planned now. bit of confusion alright, was told last night it was off.

Not sure of the timelines, but there were issues with pitches (  :-X  )and then we may have been offered another place at the National Feíle necessitating a change in the whole format from two separate leagues with the winners of each going down to Tipp to a third place on offer and then running off all teams into two subsections and then top four in Div1 Semi-finals, next 4 in Div2 Semi-finals and the last 2 in the Div3 final.

There'll be mismatches and so forth, but all the youngsters will get plenty of hurling and something for everyone to play for till the end, so hopefully the weather continues as is and its more about the youngsters prepared to turn up and play than those who aren't there!
It's playing that matters at that age.

clowry13

Good game in Burren tonight .. McGrath from Burren was outstanding at linking the play up. Where'd he come from? Is he still at school?

Lecale Gael

Quote from: clowry13 on April 21, 2016, 09:15:26 PM
Good game in Burren tonight .. McGrath from Burren was outstanding at linking the play up. Where'd he come from? Is he still at school?

what level senior ?
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

whitegoodman

Burren were lucky to come away with a win last night even taking into account missing a few key individuals.  Mayobridge started better and led for the majority of the game.  The ref gave Burren a few soft frees but I think the two bridge sendings off were justified and Mayobridge might need to have a look at their discipline.

They have a decent young defence especially at FB and CB but miss a bit ruthlessness up front apart from O Rourke, Magee could help this if he is back.  Benny looked a shade of the pace but may be carrying an injury or gradually building hs fitness.

Both teams a fair bit behind the magpies.

T O Hare

Benny got an injection on Friday for an injury and in hindsight should not have played. A good game in which we played the better football and should have won. I thought Burren got more favourable decisions from the man in the middle😉 Kevin O'Rourke is playing some football for us at the minute, if Geezer does not want him then Eamon Burns should ask him to play for Down. Both teams were missing 5/6 championship starters but I agree that the  magpies are the early pace setters but it's early in the season .
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

whitegoodman

O Rourke is playing very good football and had two get feet.  Fond if the talk back to the management too though!!

Couple of dodgy linesmen about the other night too .......

T O Hare

You may have a word with McKernan 😉
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

SamFever

Quote from: FML on April 16, 2016, 09:04:04 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on April 16, 2016, 08:51:10 PM
Quote from: FML on April 16, 2016, 08:44:13 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on April 16, 2016, 08:04:06 PM
My wee girls name, sorry. I'd rather not give the name of her primary school.

Why not? If you're able to come on here making personal attacks on people why not identify yourself?

Why hide behind a pseudonym?

Unlike yourself obviously. 

Fermanagh 3-7 v Down 1-6  That superpower from the west too good today? No big pat on your own back from yourself today, unlike last week.

A. By name is not concealed, it's there to see.

B. I haven't made the personal attacks on others that you have.

C. I gave myself no pat on the back. I said the players produced a good result.

D. What was your contribution last week or today?
FML,
   How'd your squad do yesterday?

Line Ball

Quote from: whitegoodman on April 15, 2016, 01:50:44 PM
A couple of points;

- Balllyholland were leading 1-2 till 4 points when the sending off happened so yes they were well in control of the game at that point!!!

- Kevin McKernan, Dan McCartan, Conor Toner, Mark McKay, Shay McArdle all out last night with Jamie McGovern and Cathal Foy only fit for substitute appearances.  So if ya want to talk about injuries go for it....

- McKernan has ligament damage in his ankle I think so will be out for a while and would be doubtful for Down match I would imagine.  Interesting point by Toolongref all the same.

- It is my understanding that Wards "package" would be no more than the likes of Dawson or McIlvor are getting.  Besides why move the successful underage coaches away from there when they are being successful at what they are doing, rob Peter to pay Paul and all that.

- Murtagh still the class act on the pitch last night at 34.  Says it all about the current state of Down football.

- Going by last night Burren haven't learned much from last year, playing stupid football against defensive teams and leaving themselves open to counters time and time again. Poacher knows how to set up a team but is still an edjit, was going to jump over the wire at one stage last night from what I could see at the other end of the field.

Are you seriously telling us that a Burren clubman is being paid to manage Burren, never mind somewhere in the serious stakes league that the likes of Dawson has taken in many clubs previously? There are so many clubmen who want to give something back and the honour of taking them is enough reward but Ward taking a sizeable fee in expenses is very strange or selfish indeed or even worse for Burren for paying their own man so much.

I heard during the week that Poacher took some very serious abuse from a number of ex Burren players and people who should know better, they had placed themselves directly behind the Ballyholland dugout to wind him up so is it any wonder he wanted to jump the wire. Ward was also like a man possessed throughout the game I believe, like in all his games.

cut the crap

Naughty naughty Sam , you know how they did, they were beaten but it wasn't his first 15 out, leave the man alone , unless you wish to stand up and take his position.Lets not forget these coaches do the job for the love of the sport, maybe you should try it or are you one of these dis gruntled parents whose son just isn't good enough at the moment and is a key board warrior.

SamFever

Quote from: cut the crap on April 24, 2016, 06:55:26 PM
Naughty naughty Sam , you know how they did, they were beaten but it wasn't his first 15 out, leave the man alone , unless you wish to stand up and take his position.Lets not forget these coaches do the job for the love of the sport, maybe you should try it or are you one of these dis gruntled parents whose son just isn't good enough at the moment and is a key board warrior.
Lighten up here,I was genuinely asking.I only knew they were playing a game at the Abbey according to Twitter.

rosskarr

Good point for Longstone tonight.

Leftmidfield

Burren beat CPN 0.9 - 0.7
Who did The Stone draw with ?

rosskarr