Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

OgraAnDun

I think you're right about bringing players in and having to adapt to the system in two weeks but I think something needed to be done after the Monaghan game. Sure look at the last few pages of posts, people were crying out for other players to be brought in.

Smurfy123

Fair point
Have not heard who the 5 lads are only know of Davidson?
Anyone know ?

snoopdog

Passing against the wind. If these guys were not deemed good enough earlier then why now all of  a sudden.

Lecale Gael

if 4 quit panel then surely 4 need brought in . its a no brainer.
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Smurfy123

Madine Mooney McConville Cunningham all left a few months ago and no replacements so what's the difference now?

wobbller

Quote from: snoopdog on June 15, 2016, 11:06:06 AM
Passing against the wind. If these guys were not deemed good enough earlier then why now all of  a sudden.
Is that passing wind or pissing against the wind?

supersub

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 15, 2016, 09:55:18 AM
Does anyone else think the circus surrounding Davidson is an embarrassment or is it just me?
10 days before our championship game we are bringing in 5 new players and one that had joined Antrim last week until Down blocked the moved now we have brought him in
Do the 5 lads that have been brought in just now slot into the system that we have been apparently working on so much since the league ended?This Davison story now is going to hit the papers for the next few days
When have you ever seen Mickey Harte bringing in 5 new players after a defeat?Never
Things just seem to be done on a week to week basis with Down whereas all the big teams have a plan set in stone from Jan 1st
I hope the Davidson move is worth it for Eamons sake and that he can hit his 2-4 against Longford and not in a game behind closed doors
I hope the 5 new lads brought in prove me wrong
Opinions???

It's not really a circus, he is a player in form for his club and so has been given the chance to train with the County. The media, twitter and GAABoard make it more of a 'circus' than it really is. It's a straightforward issue. The majority of people, as normal, go on hearsay and don't really know what has happened long term with players - i.e. people speculate all year that Marty Clarke 'opted out' but then he turns round and says he wasn't asked. Few knew that. People make more out of situations than is needed as they don't know the full story.

Anyway, there were crys for 'better' players etc to be brought in to the squad after Monaghan game, now we have at least one addition which is positive. It's not easy for the management and team, it was always going to be a tough year, but certainly isn't made any easier by fickle fans.

Smurfy123

So you don't think it's a circus that the player came out in the Irish News only last week saying he would have loved a game for Down and then saying and I quote 'I can't wait to make my debut for Antrim and love my first training with the lads'
2 days later the county secretary blocks any such move
2 days on he is now involved and scored 2-4 in a behind the scenes game and is now likely to start against Longford next week
Now are you trying to say that it wasn't a circus
If he had not of joined the Antrim squad would we even have tried him out???
I hope he proves me wrong but the point in trying to make was this man probably should have been in 6 months ago

SamFever

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 15, 2016, 01:33:59 PM
So you don't think it's a circus that the player came out in the Irish News only last week saying he would have loved a game for Down and then saying and I quote 'I can't wait to make my debut for Antrim and love my first training with the lads'
2 days on he is now involved and scored 2-4 in a behind the scenes game and is now likely to start against Longford next week
I hope he proves me wrong but the point in trying to make was this man probably should have been in 6 months ago
Smurfy,your inside man in the camp must now have his nose out of joint now that there a few more players brought into the panel.

supersub

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 15, 2016, 01:33:59 PM

No I don't, I think I made that clear in my previous post. Let him at it. Let the papers and social media and fickle fans make what they want of it. If it improves the team, good on them. And on the contrary if he had gone and played for Antrim no doubt there would have been a string of 'why didn't we do anything to keep him' type comments.

snoopdog

Quote from: wobbller on June 15, 2016, 11:42:42 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on June 15, 2016, 11:06:06 AM
Is that passing wind or pissing against the wind?
Ha. Was rushing for a flight. Pissing.

cut the crap

Sam it's probably too far for you to travel and I am not proposing putting anyone out of football, but it would take a few south down guys willing to travel to training in much the same way we in east down have done for decades, Ballykinlar should be upgraded , expanded and used to develope our teams, but it will not happen because of its location.

speculative

Centre of Excellence in Castlewellan- problem solved!! ;)

OgraAnDun

Quote from: cut the crap on June 15, 2016, 11:46:26 PM
Sam it's probably too far for you to travel and I am not proposing putting anyone out of football, but it would take a few south down guys willing to travel to training in much the same way we in east down have done for decades, Ballykinlar should be upgraded , expanded and used to develope our teams, but it will not happen because of its location.

And rightly so, Ballykinlar is in a shocking location to get to from South Down. If a centre of excellence or something similar was ever to be built, it should be more or less equidistant for the majority of players. Castlewellan is probably the best bet in this regards, as Speculative says.