Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaamann

PAULD123 Point I am trying to make is Benny and Danny are in management they haven't exactly set the world on fire to date with the results that the team they prepare have got.I don't think its helpful for 2 senior county players who haven't long left the squad to get involved in publicly slating players managers officials it smells of sour grapes and they should not use the newspapers they work for to wash their dirty linen.I have huge respect for both men as footballers but its unhelpful and disrespectful to go down the path they are going.Yes they are entitled to their opinion but just because you have a chance to stick the boot in doesn't mean you should.

general_lee

Quote from: gaamann on July 07, 2015, 11:14:20 PM
Hows Benny and Danny get on in their coaching job with Cruppen? For two men with so much advice on all that's wrong in Down football you would think all that knowledge would be reaping better results.
you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear

PAULD123

Quote from: general_lee on July 08, 2015, 10:18:33 AM
Hows Benny and Danny get on in their coaching job with Cruppen? For two men with so much advice on all that's wrong in Down football you would think all that knowledge would be reaping better results.

Even more difficult when you choose to reject the silkier sow's ears that you were offered, because they couldn't commit to training from mid-December!

superblues

Does anybody on here think jim done a good job this season and we can look forward to next season with any real hope

SamFever

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 08, 2015, 02:25:33 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 08, 2015, 10:18:33 AM

Even more difficult when you choose to reject the silkier sow's ears that you were offered, because they couldn't commit to training from mid-December!
There had to be some rules and deadlines but Dec was a bit early.

Gaa for life

Jim done ok with the players he had. we over achieved IMO in getting promoted, the derry result wasn't the end of the world and could have went either way but the wexford game was ridiculous. we would have been better positioned for next year if we didn't get promoted as we would be playing teams of our own ability and would go some way to helping the rebuilding process. really think we will struggle next year. over all id give him a 5/10

snoopdog

Quote from: superblues on July 08, 2015, 06:39:04 PM
Does anybody on here think jim done a good job this season and we can look forward to next season with any real hope

If you analyse it.
great to get promotion to Div 1 but i think we got there by being a lot fitter than some of the other teams in the league. We robbed Kildare at the death with 2 late goals, Galway tore us to shreads but we got the points at the end looking a fitter side. the big teams Roscommon and Meath brushed us a side. westmeath we demolished, Laois we struggled for large parts to pull away from them.
League final we never looked like winning.
Championship, Derry very poor 1st half, only played when we were reduced to 14 and could have won the game
Qualifier Wexford, a disgrace.
We will prob get destroyed in most of our league games next year, unless McCorry has some ultra defensive strategy planned, to be honest id rather get relegated than that sh1te.
We should not be losing to a team like Wexford and ive said it before about Down, are  they mentally prpared for games that they believe they only have to turn up for. Down can be beat by anybody, you only need to look at the qualifiers to work that out. McCorry chose to go without the experienced players and its bit him in the ass, be interesting to see what he goes with for next year. Personally i dont see any glimmer of hope but that comes from following Down for 30 odd years.
Still sickened by that result, laughing stock.

PAULD123

Quote from: superblues on July 08, 2015, 06:39:04 PM

No, it was a bad first season. not because of results nor because of the choice not to accommodate the mature players. It was a bad season because we did improve as a footballing product. Results are less important than a clear improvement of the team's overall play:

• We did not have a definitive playing style
  • We did not develop a playing style
  • We did not develop any sort of a system for the players to work with.
  • There was no apparent improvement in team cohesion.
  • We did not control games, we relied on out lasting opponents fitness wise
  • We never learned to deal with physically larger teams
  • Problem areas were not improved at all (midfield, a short fullback, a weak half-back line, a reluctance to shoot, a failure to attack space to get into scoring positions, high balls into a short two-man forward line)
  • And finally we made no progress in establishing a settled position for many of our newer players - Devlin, Mooney, Boyle, Madine.

I would judge early tenure success by improvement in general play, rather than winning a few games by good luck. In short, after a season in charge, we were not a better team than before. We are not in a better position.

imagine

T O Hare

Any word on the proposals for age changes??
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

SHEEDY

Quote from: T O Hare on July 10, 2015, 02:17:02 PM
the proposals for age changes were voted through. not sure what difference if any they will make. must have been promised a few quid from croke park to be part of the pilot scheme. ;)
nil satis nisi optimum

johnneycool

Quote from: SHEEDY on July 11, 2015, 10:02:12 AM
Quote from: T O Hare on July 10, 2015, 02:17:02 PM
the proposals for age changes were voted through. not sure what difference if any they will make. must have been promised a few quid from croke park to be part of the pilot scheme. ;)

Thought the same myself when I heard about them!

How do these new age groups operate come inter provincial club tournaments such as feile and minor club championships??

What is the issue they're meant to be solving?

spirit0f91and94

Quote from: PAULD123 on September 19, 2014, 06:44:30 AM
Quote from: Pangurban on September 19, 2014, 02:18:46 AM
Wish the new Manager every success and support. However i cannot understand the enthusiasm for his appointment. His CV is not that impressive.Won County championships with teams that would probably have won under any Manager. No success in the wider arena of the Ulster Club Championship.No experience of County management. Hopefully he  may prove to be an excellent appointment, though i say that more in hope than expectation

I think you should get a copy of his CV and re-asses your statements.

His achievement in turning Kilcoo from rural also-rans into Ulster finalists is remarkable. And as for no success in Ulster - His team has beaten St Galls and Crossmaglen, both recent All-Ireland champions (and before last year, the only teams to win Ulster in a decade). How many mangers have beaten Cross in Ulster in the last 8 years. Two, and yep, McCorry is one of them.

Now that's not to mention getting Armagh to a National Football Laegue final (no county management experience!!!)

snoopdog

Well done to Pete Mcgrath.  Delighted for him and Fermanagh. After the disgraceful way the Down county board treated pete he has proved he still has the know how for inter county management.

T O Hare

An unreal job with limited resources. He should be working within our county!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"