Dublin vs Monaghan, Saturday 5th August @ 6pm

Started by straightred, July 30, 2017, 08:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Dublin have had their fair share of injury problems so far this year and with Connolly out as well yet they can still afford to play Berno & McManoman as super subs.
Gavin has cleverly introduced a few young lads here and there over the past few seasons gaining vital experience to act as cover for their injured stars.
Philly McMahon and Cooper haven't played much as has MD Macauley. I just get the feeling Gavin knew from the start of the year that his team would be in a 1/4 final no matter what team he put out and so he was able to plan to have his best players at peak levels for August and Sept.

Monaghan having had the experience of meeting the Dubs before at this stage know they have nothing to lose and if they throw everything at them like they did in other years against Donegal and Tyrone in Ulster then they might not be as far away as people think. They have the momentum of beating Wexford, Carlow and now Down in recent weeks whereas the Dubs will feel like they've not played for ages so could be caught a little cold.

If Dublin had all their players fit and up to speed I think they would win handy enough but alas it has the makings of an interesting tie with McManus, McCarron and McCarthy all beginning to hit some form. If Monaghan can come flying out of the blocks at 100mph at take their scores it will get the Dublin fans a bit edgy and create a tense atmosphere. If the opposite happens it will be everyone in for a pint and half time and not come back out for the second half again.

armaghniac

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 01, 2017, 04:31:14 PM
If Dublin had all their players fit and up to speed I think they would win handy enough but alas it has the makings of an interesting tie with McManus, McCarron and McCarthy all beginning to hit some form. If Monaghan can come flying out of the blocks at 100mph at take their scores it will get the Dublin fans a bit edgy and create a tense atmosphere. If the opposite happens it will be everyone in for a pint and half time and not come back out for the second half again.

Especially as there will be a large volume of Armagh and Tyrone people, most of whom will cheer Monaghan on if they get any sort of a run going at all, drowning out the boo boys.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

How many tickets are reserved for the 4 county boards to sell on.

I see Ticketmaster's allocation is sold out.

macdanger2

straightred

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 01, 2017, 10:14:00 PM
9 point spread in this one

Naw - can't see it being that high. Kildare held them to 9 and their formline isn't great

macdanger2

Quote from: straightred on August 01, 2017, 10:31:32 PM

Naw - can't see it being that high. Kildare held them to 9 and their formline isn't great

Well, that's what pp have it as. I'd tend to agree that it'll be less than that though

Real Talk

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 01, 2017, 10:34:46 PM
Quote from: straightred on August 01, 2017, 10:31:32 PM

Well, that's what pp have it as. I'd tend to agree that it'll be less than that though

This will be a big win for Dublin ..... at least 12/15 pts .... the Monaghan defence will be in big trouble.  McCarron and McCarthy wont count and there will not be enough quality ball into McManus to have any impact

From the Bunker

This is the kind of game that will be brilliant next year when they meet in the Super 8 in Clones!  ;D

From the Bunker

Only joking, only joking it will be a home game for the Leinster Champions in Parnell Park!

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on August 01, 2017, 09:50:41 PM

Some more coming around again
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0801/894519-croke-park-sell-out/
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

manfromdelmonte

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on August 02, 2017, 01:23:48 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 01, 2017, 09:50:41 PM

Some more coming around again
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0801/894519-croke-park-sell-out/
i can't imagine many tickets being returned from the clubs of the counties involved on Super Saturday.

Schkite

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on August 03, 2017, 11:57:00 PM
Can't see this team startin but how and ever:

http://www.hoganstand.com/monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=273918

As far as I remember, the team that Monaghan normally release is just the team that actually started the previous game.

I'd expect a change or two, McCarron might come back in for Freeman while I reckon McCarthy will be kept in reserve again. If Jack could perform anything like he did against Dublin in the league then that would be very welcome!

straightred

Quote from: Schkite on August 04, 2017, 12:02:13 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on August 03, 2017, 11:57:00 PM
Can't see this team startin but how and ever:

http://www.hoganstand.com/monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=273918

As far as I remember, the team that Monaghan normally release is just the team that actually started the previous game.

I'd expect a change or two, McCarron might come back in for Freeman while I reckon McCarthy will be kept in reserve again. If Jack could perform anything like he did against Dublin in the league then that would be very welcome!

There are tickets on www.tickets.ie now