Who will win the Nestor Cup In Connacht?

Started by From the Bunker, February 07, 2007, 03:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win the Nestor Cup In Connacht?

Galway
3 (5.4%)
Mayo
27 (48.2%)
Roscommon
10 (17.9%)
Sligo
5 (8.9%)
Leitrim
4 (7.1%)
New York
4 (7.1%)
London
3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Mayo Mick

Connacht should be handy enough for us. The first round draw versus Galway and we should take them. Galway have made little progress under Forde, are weak in many positions and do not have our overall balance and power. Though we only won last years  CF by a point in reality we were way the better team even on a day when we did not play well. Galway's struggles to beat Sligo and Ros and defeat by Westmeath shows them at best as an average outfit depending on a big game from Meehan or Joyce. I don't think it will be enough and even allowing that the game is in Galway I expect we will win. Leitrim will be feisty but on the open spaces of Castlebar they will struggle and cannot be expected to give too much of a  test. So then it will be a CF versus Sligo who are not too bad and will be hoping to bridge the long gap back to "75. They were a bit unlucky in 2006 and have a few players back which will help. Still they are quite a bit behind us in terms of quality and unless we seriously under perform we should win comfortably.

Think if you look at the overall quality we have, strength in depth plus management team we are a fair bit ahead of any other team in Connacht. Pity really as a more competitive provincial championship would be good for the bigger games in August and September

If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

GalwayBayBoy

QuotePity really as a more competitive provincial championship would be good for the bigger games in August and September

Careful there Mick you're starting to sound a tad arrogant there.

Mayo aren't Brazil you know. ;D

stephenite

Whenever Mayo are dead certs, can't lose Connacht I get very nervous. Anyone who thinks that Galway will be beaten in the championship at this stage of the year is deluded I feel, ask me in May

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: stephenite on February 08, 2007, 09:52:15 PM
Whenever Mayo are dead certs, can't lose Connacht I get very nervous. Anyone who thinks that Galway will be beaten in the championship at this stage of the year is deluded I feel, ask me in May

To be honest right now I wouldn't even back us with your money Stephenite but you know on the day it'll be a Galway v Mayo game and Mayo haven't won many of those on Galway soil.

That said I'm sure ye'll start warm favourites. We might be already doomed to division 3 football come May. :(

stephenite

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 08, 2007, 10:35:20 PM
but you know on the day it'll be a Galway v Mayo game and Mayo haven't won many of those on Galway soil.

Exactly, the last time Mayo went to Pearse as favourites in '05, ye boys were giving it the beal bocht all year.

From the Bunker

Looks like there are plenty of takers for Mayo! Nothing wors than Mayo Holding the favourites tag heading into Pearse Stadium.......Tail legs between are words that come to mind!