Official Handball thread

Started by Handball Ace, January 16, 2007, 02:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handball Ace

I see there are a few handballers on here, so it's about time we got a thread of our own!

Details of the Ulster Open are being announced today lads, who's intending to go?

AbbeySider

Well done on starting this, I played loads of handball underage in Mayo and its something I wanted to take up again.

I had a killer serve...  :P

Orior

It doesnt get enough media coverage. How many people know that Belfast is the home of the Women's World Champion? Emmm.... but dont ask me her name  :-\
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

The Bottom Brick

There is a tournament on in Kingscourt Co Cavan on Feb 10-11, it will blow everyone away.

The coverage will be massive for handball.

There are five Americans flying over, which means the top ten players on the planet will be playing! For years the Irish champions couldn't even beat the low ranked Americans but at present we have 5 in the world top ten, icluding the undisputed number one Paul Brady.

Check gaa.ie (top story today) for the press release, or www.extremehandball.org for a taser of how the sport is growing on both sides of the Atlantic.

Abbey, what club did you play for?

If someone can tell me how to post a PDF file here I will post the flyer...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Handball Ace

Yeah the Ulster Open is going to be awesome. Brady would destroy Alvarado in Kingscourt, the only problem I can see is that Brady has a league match against Wicklow on that Saturday evening...

Rollout

The open is gonna be good. Can't wait to see some of the yanks play. Sean Lenning and  Allan garner.

Fiona shannon is the Womens world champ from Belfast.

Is Brady really playin that league match?
http://cavan.handball.gaa.ie

The Ulster Handball Open 2007

rolloutking

The UO is gonna rock people. There is a host hotel or castle...Cabra Castle. The event is so oversubscribed that there are qualifiers in some events. These are Boys 15&U, 17&U and Mens C and i think they are taking place on the friday night. I think they are gonna put locals into the qualifiers, similar to the Golden Gloves.

There was meant to be 3 women coming over as well but Jessie Gawley pulled out due to work committments and at the moment its just Lisa Fraiser-Gilmore and i think Courtney Peixoto(hot stuff!!!)

This tounry is gonna become as big as the worlds and US Open and luckily Jeff, Dave and all the guys at the WPHL are adding it to the ranking system so it in fact carries more significance than the All Irelands, as doing well will boost your ranking and possible future seedings.

Naty, Emmett, Sean, Allan and Dave all have to be commended for deciding to make the trip over but a part of me thinks that Naty is out for revenge after Brady scooping the US open and 20k in Natys home court. How ironic it would be that Naty took the inagural Ulster Open!

However i doubt that the statesiders will be in the later stages as they have probably never played with the Dunlop and even if they got a few sent over the Irish courts play slower and have a different bounce and Kingscourt is totally different to any other court i'v played in. As the walls are plaster instead of solid concrete there isnt an echo when you hit the ball and you cant really judge how hard you hitting it in the court. Its different outside though as the sound seems to travel out but there still the best courts in Ireland.

There are also other venues being used. I know Armagh is hosting some games and im sure that somewhere else will get a few, possibly Saval as nowhere else around Cavan can hold an international tourny. But, the Mens Open are all being held in KC.

Ulster is going on the handball map!

Rollout

I think St Pats college in cavan town may be hosting some games too. The deadline for entries is Friday tho.

You're right about this going to blow peoples minds. Its already been in several national papers, i see it was in the examiner today.

I wouldn't discount the yanks just yet because of the different ball, sure "any ball, any wall" Brady has to be favourite but healy, kennedy and Naty will all be pushing for the top homours.

I think Dave Vincent said it was counted for ranking points in the World Pro Handball rankings.

Rollout

The Ulster Open was mentioned in the Examiner and The Irish News yesterday.

Maybe things are on the up for handball.

Anyone else seen it being publicised?

Handball Ace

Rolloutking

I'm not sure about games in Armagh at this stage, although Saval is still a possibility...

It's great that the Americans are coming over, but don't worry Alvarado's not doing it for the good of his health if you know what I mean...

Wait till you see what is planned, it is going to be awesome...

rolloutking

i had a notion there was a bit of £££ on offer. I know that there is games in armagh because i have it from the horses mouth

Handball Ace

Sorry Rolloutking you're right actually

Looks like Saval, Armagh, St Pats Cavan, Carrickmacross, K'court, Cormeen, Corduff and Kells will be used

Possibility of Beragh, Carrickmore, Loughmacrory too

Rollout

Jesus it'll be some tournament. 170 players!!!!!

Any predictions?

I'll go Brady in the open, with a good showing from Finnegan

rolloutking

There are going to be qualifiers on the 9th in Mens C, boys 15s and 17s. The venues have not been set yet but they are likelt to start at 9am. In the C's there are over 32 entries and i think its only qualifier round. This is to save people travelling from all over the country twice. If they are unlucky to be put into the qualifiers they will only have to come one day earlier. The kids will also have the day off school which they will like. Entry deadline has now passed so if ur not in....