Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Seany on April 10, 2018, 11:46:53 AM
I heard that he had taken the homeless man in.  I was just interested to know how long it was going to be before he told everybody about it.  Same as the giving of the kidney.  People do that every day.  He wrote about it, did about fifteen newspaper and TV interviews about it, and three documentaries.  OK Joe - you have a charitable side.  We all know about it now.  Just leave us alone.

I find lines like this absolutely astounding, lives are being saved, and I'm sure the many people who have benefited (and their family and friends) from the campaigns and the promotion of the campaigns would disagree

seafoid

In fairness to Joe it is very hard to be consistently original about GAA. Tom humphries was probably the best GAA journalist 20 years ago and even  he gave up after a while.  The plodders like Sean Moran and Breheny rely on statistics but never rise above mediocrity. 

As Eugene McGee told Kimmage in 2015

"A lot of the matches are shite, but the worst of all is having to write the column in wintertime. I sit down every Saturday night and say, 'What am I going to write here?'. I'm 30 years writing columns now, for God's sake! And some of the stuff I write on Monday is pure shite."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

longballin

Houlihan was the best and he covered all sports

JimStynes

Keep her going lads, we are near the 300 pages mark. Joe was telling me he would love to get to the 300 page mark.

Jinxy

"Would you believe I have an entire thread dedicated to me on gaaboard?"
"Do you, Joe?"
"Oh aye, it's true. 700 PAGES long."
"Hang on, I'm just looking at it here and it's only 300 pages long, Joe."
"Did I ever tell you about the time myself and big Geoffrey McGonigle went on safari and he tried to smuggle a giraffe onto the plane home?"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

I have 50 replies per page so it's only on 87 for me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on April 10, 2018, 03:18:52 PM
"Do you, Joe?"
"Did I ever tell you about the time myself and big Geoffrey McGonigle went on safari and he tried to smuggle a giraffe onto the plane home?"

;D ;D ;D ;D
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Owen Brannigan

I heard that he had taken the homeless man in.  I was just interested to know how long it was going to be before he told everybody about it.  Same as the giving of the kidney.  People do that every day.  He wrote about it, did about fifteen newspaper and TV interviews about it, and three documentaries.  OK Joe - you have a charitable side.  We all know about it now.  Just leave us alone.

By doing the PR on his transplant Brolly did major work in raising the profile of organ donation, like him or loathe him he has made a step that few of us would consider.  But you have probably done much more without recognition.

longballin

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 10, 2018, 05:31:01 PM

By doing the PR on his transplant Brolly did major work in raising the profile of organ donation, like him or loathe him he has made a step that few of us would consider.  But you have probably done much more without recognition.

He publishes it to promote it and encourage others to save lives. Fair play to him but you can do nothing in this country without begrudgers taking away from it

trueblue1234

Quote from: longballin on April 10, 2018, 05:58:21 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 10, 2018, 05:31:01 PM

He publishes it to promote it and encourage others to save lives. Fair play to him but you can do nothing in this country without begrudgers taking away from it

The Joe Brolly Debate.

Poster #1 - Brolly is a boll!x
Poster #2 - You just don't like him cause he honest
Poster #1 - No he's actually full of Sh!te
Poster #2 Yeah but look what he's done for charity
Poster #1 That was great, but he's still a boll!x
Poster #2 Your just a begrudger

Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on April 10, 2018, 01:23:40 PM
In fairness to Joe it is very hard to be consistently original about GAA. Tom humphries was probably the best GAA journalist 20 years ago and even  he gave up after a while.  The plodders like Sean Moran and Breheny rely on statistics but never rise above mediocrity. 

As Eugene McGee told Kimmage in 2015

"A lot of the matches are shite, but the worst of all is having to write the column in wintertime. I sit down every Saturday night and say, 'What am I going to write here?'. I'm 30 years writing columns now, for God's sake! And some all  of the stuff I write on Monday is pure shite."
just corrected that
they just cant be arsed to look for Real stories that's whay journalist should shut up and journal
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Avondhu star

Quote from: Jinxy on April 10, 2018, 03:18:52 PM
"Do you, Joe?"

FFS! It wasnt a giraffe, it was an elephant. Dungiven use it now for bringing young lads to matches and the elephants obeys instructions given in Irish
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Jinxy

Joe Brolly: If youngsters can't get regular games, they will turn to soccer, or PlayStation, or alcohol, or drugs

'A few days earlier, our minors had played against one of the west Belfast clubs in an official cup fixture. Their club is in a very underprivileged area of the city and they do tremendous work with their young people. But by the time they reach 16 the kids are abandoning the games.

Belfast has a population of 700,000 (2011 census), compared to Dublin's 1.3 million. But like every other club in the city, there is no full-time coaching in the feeder schools, no strategy linking the schools and club, no regular matches, and no resources. The result is that a densely populated area that could be a powerhouse for Gaelic games with a strong sense of community is instead a wasteland. As the minor game unfolded, their subs ate pizza that had been delivered to the sideline, smoked cigarettes and poked fun at their team-mates. The referee abandoned the match with 10 minutes to go after a melee broke out. One of their club stalwarts texted me afterwards to say, "My heart is broken after watching that today, mo chara." This year, for the first time in living memory, the fabled Rossa club on the Shaws Road are unable to field a minor football team. In the second biggest city on the island, the real GAA is collapsing.'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-if-youngsters-cant-get-regular-games-they-will-turn-to-soccer-or-playstation-or-alcohol-or-drugs-36808029.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

:o

The article in full is well worth a read tbf.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Texting Joe is a sure fire way to get a mention in the Independent.
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

Heard about this match today!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea