Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Benny i would agree myself that the club should be well before the county setups.

BC i take on board what you are saying lad and that is why i ask you about it because i wanted to get an insight into how someone from cross would feel about the issue. I also would agree with you when you raise the point about the clans. As a clans member there is no comparison from what i can see.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

aroundincircles

Would cross have won thirteen in a row in any other county in ulster i dont think so they are a super team but i think once in 70 odd club championship games with in any other county in ulster they would have been caught at least once!!!

The GAA

Quote from: AFS on November 23, 2008, 03:46:10 AM
Its worth remembering that every other time Cross have won the the Armagh championship they've gone on to conquer the rest of Ulster (with the possibility of that record extending beyond 50% next weekend), and that they've done this while arguable having a 'break' from the early to mid noughties while Armagh took centre stage.

what does this mean?

armaghniac

If they win next week,they will have 7 Ulsters from 13, hence > 50%.
It is reasonable to suggest that with many prominent Cross' players playing in AI county finals in 2002, 2003 that this may have affected their performance in the subsequent Ulster club championship, either through burnout or diminished hunger for reaching Croke Pk again.               
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

IVEDECIDED

How can you have diminished hunger for reaching Croke park for an all ireland final with your club? Dont be so stupid! And in my opinion if they were in Tyrone or Derry they would only have about 7 championships to their name as these are firecely contested championships with strong teams however I think they would have dominated all other counties almost as much with only Galls, Enniskillen and Castleblayney taking the odd one off them. People dont realise that the next three odd best teams in Armagh would prob have won multiple championships in most other Ulster counties over the past 13 years.

bennydorano

Quote from: aroundincircles on November 23, 2008, 02:42:20 AM
Would cross have won thirteen in a row in any other county in ulster i dont think so they are a super team but i think once in 70 odd club championship games with in any other county in ulster they would have been caught at least once!!!
They've rode their luck on a few occassions in Armagh too.  Ogs and Dromintee both could have won games against them.

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on November 23, 2008, 03:04:00 PM
People dont realise that the next three odd best teams in Armagh would prob have won multiple championships in most other Ulster counties over the past 13 years.
I've said it numerous times that Dromintee would have won at least an Ulster if they could've gotten past Cross.  I get the feeling that their time has probably passed, but they are arguably still the second best team in Armagh.

IVEDECIDED

I dont know about an Ulster Benny. If you havent got over Cross in 10 attempts why would you all of a sudden beat a Ballinderry, Bellaghy or Errigal Cairin? I think Dromintee, the Ogs and Clans would have a few champioships to thier names in most other counties and would prob have dominated in areas like down, Cavan, monaghan and Donegal. However this is an irrelevant argument, they are Armagh clubs so thats the one they have to win! Sorry!

bennydorano

It's all opinions, On occassion Cross have found it every bit as hard to beat Dromintee as any of those teams. 

fitzroyalty

North Armagh Town team beat North Armagh Country team 1-16 to 1-08

illdecide

Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 24, 2008, 12:07:00 AM
North Armagh Town team beat North Armagh Country team 1-16 to 1-08

C'mon the buckfast brigade... :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Over the Bar

QuoteIn Tyrone - Would've won at least 10 or 11

lol

winsamsoon

The game at Clann Eirean was dyer to. But i guess you could put it down to the poor underfoot conditions and the time of year. Plus you would have had a lot of players playing with each other for the first time which made it sort of like a trial game. Was disappointed with the turn out though. People yap and yap about getting more Gaelic going in North Armagh and then when we have something like this they all choose to sit at the fire or maybe they were watching the spurs game which wouldn't be out of place in Lurgan. Soccer heads all over the place the bars are like soccer magnets. You go into them and you hear ballbags in liverpool tops talking about "we" should have done this. I always ask them where they born in liverpool. That one really gets my goat.

On the Cross issue. I feel Cross would have dominated most of the counties that AFS mentioned but i think they would have found Derry and Tyrone football a different ball game. Now i am not saying they wouldn't have won any championships because clearly they would because they are a class act. But In tyrone and Derry you would have had teams that had more individually skiled footballers. Even if you look at the Derry and in particular Tyrone county team. Despite the dominance of Armagh in Ulster i always felt Tyrone were a better footballing team in terms of individual football ability. IMHO I think cross would have held their own with the Bellaghy's the Ballinderry's the Errigals and the rest but they certainly wouldn't have been so dominant.

I would also be of the opinion that there success in Armagh was partly due to the lack of opposition in Armagh. As the cross rein has continued to grow the opposition to cross has continued to dwindle. sure we have had a mix of clubs trying to challenge them but all in all they were never in any real danger. I am not going to get into that argument again about who is second best in Armagh because it doesn't really matter. Fact is that they were never really good enough to challenge the Cross who are on a different level from all in Armagh and most in Ulster.

It will interesting to see the cross game on Sunday. Some would say that this is a cross team that are getting on in years and are not as good as they once were. I don't buy into that either. Ballinderry are a team in transition as well. They have brought in a few younger lads so it should be a good game. It will also give us an indication of the standard of the Ulster club this year.

The Gs Man

Was at the game in Clann Eireann myself (even missed the Spurs match for it!).  Wasn't great but sure it was all for charity anyway.  Conditions were pretty bad right enough.  Slowed the game right down.  The helicopter flying overhead the whole time didn't help either....

Thought Ryan Henderson was the pick of the bunch even though he made a few dodgy decisions.  Scored a cracker goal though.  Danny Shanks also showed up well.  I thought the country team looked better on paper, but they didn't seem to try as hard.

Was there any county selectors or anything like that at the game? Not sure if they would have took much from it though.
Keep 'er lit

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteI would also be of the opinion that there success in Armagh was partly due to the lack of opposition in Armagh. As the cross rein has continued to grow the opposition to cross has continued to dwindle. sure we have had a mix of clubs trying to challenge them but all in all they were never in any real danger

That simply isn't true. You are "in real danger" when you're 2 points down heading into injury time or in any game when its level in the final minute and one point will send you out. There were years when Cross struggled as much, if not more, to get out of Armagh as they did to get out of Ulster.

As for Dromintee, I think at this stage they just don't have the belief that they can beat Cross. It'll probably be another side that eventually stops Rangers' dominance.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

winsamsoon

Yeah but you guys keep bringing up the two points in games but it doesn't really matter whether you are beaten by 2 or 20 they were still beaten. If the game would have went into the melting pot then cross would have scored another 4 if they needed. They are like Armagh only more ruthless. The cross always grinded out results in tighter games but they were always capable of more than the opposition. If Dromintee, Harps, Ogs, clans, Mullaghbawn or any other team would have went forward to ulster competition they would have lost out. They wouldn't have won what cross did they wouldn't have even got near it. Look at your own team the year Tac. A third division derry side (i don't mean that as a dig ) i am using it merely to highlight the difference.