Mayo v Dublin - AISF - Saturday 5pm

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 04, 2019, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2019, 05:51:30 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 18, 2019, 05:21:33 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 18, 2019, 04:53:42 PM
Dublin would beat any other team of any era in my opinion.

We could only really judge that if some of the other good teams from other eras had the fitness S&C and preparation that Dublin currently do.

I thought Dublin were beatable in the 2013,2016 and 2017 AI finals and Kerry had the beating of Dublin in the 2016 semi final also but let it slip through their fingers.

When you say beatable? What games stood out where Dublin looked weak or vulnerable?

All the games i mentioned, not so much weak but the Dubs where there to beaten but little moments here and there made the difference.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2019, 04:59:06 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 18, 2019, 03:29:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2019, 03:17:12 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 18, 2019, 03:14:46 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 18, 2019, 02:55:47 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 17, 2019, 06:21:17 PM
Why would you want to be remembered as losers? Mayo fans should be hoping that everyone forgets about this team.
One of the best teams ever. Of course they'll be remembered, they went toe to toe with the best team ever to play the game and in any other era they'd have won multiple AI's

Debatable. They only had to beat Kerry and Donegal in 2012,2014 to win the All Ireland. If they had reached this years final would they have beaten Kerry? I doubt it.

They were to young in 2012 and Andy was injured! In 2014 they were stitched up!

And now too old and too many injuries? From OGs, sending offs, goalkeeping errors etc v Dublin the excuses are endless. The Dubs were desperate poor in the drawn 2016 All Ireland final scoring just 0-9. Mayo unable to take advantage as they themselves were in poor form and stumbled into that final.

They still stumbled into finals! No excuses, we always lost to the better team except for 2014. If a team is better than you, a team is better than you! Them's the breaks!

We'll possibly see Armagh reach the top table in the coming years and we'll see how their fair against this new era of Financial Doping.

Armagh's level for foreseeable future is reaching the last eight at best. A level that Mayo might have to accept in the years ahead as they go through a transition period.

'financial doping' aside how strong is Dublin's main competitors at the moment are they (Tyrone, Donegal, Mayo and Kerry) at the level they once were?

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 18, 2019, 06:03:03 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2019, 04:59:06 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 18, 2019, 03:29:41 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2019, 03:17:12 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 18, 2019, 03:14:46 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 18, 2019, 02:55:47 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 17, 2019, 06:21:17 PM
Why would you want to be remembered as losers? Mayo fans should be hoping that everyone forgets about this team.
One of the best teams ever. Of course they'll be remembered, they went toe to toe with the best team ever to play the game and in any other era they'd have won multiple AI's

Debatable. They only had to beat Kerry and Donegal in 2012,2014 to win the All Ireland. If they had reached this years final would they have beaten Kerry? I doubt it.

They were to young in 2012 and Andy was injured! In 2014 they were stitched up!

And now too old and too many injuries? From OGs, sending offs, goalkeeping errors etc v Dublin the excuses are endless. The Dubs were desperate poor in the drawn 2016 All Ireland final scoring just 0-9. Mayo unable to take advantage as they themselves were in poor form and stumbled into that final.

They still stumbled into finals! No excuses, we always lost to the better team except for 2014. If a team is better than you, a team is better than you! Them's the breaks!

We'll possibly see Armagh reach the top table in the coming years and we'll see how their fair against this new era of Financial Doping.

Armagh's level for foreseeable future is reaching the last eight at best. A level that Mayo might have to accept in the years ahead as they go through a transition period.

'financial doping' aside how strong is Dublin's main competitors at the moment are they (Tyrone, Donegal, Mayo and Kerry) at the level they once were?
None of them are anywhere near where they were when they were winning All Irelands but all bar Tyrone are going through transition and have plenty of good young players breaking through

Lar Naparka

I think in another time they would won 2 or 3 All-Irelands. Your judgI've seen enough of both and I don't imagine thayt th present team is better. g them against a team beat only 2 in 9yrs and once was to them. And Donegal were nearly blew outta the water if Dublin had taken 2 easy goal chances. Dublin would beat any other team of any era in my opinion.
That is something we will never know.Great fun discussing/rowing about such topics but there are too many variables involved . For instance, if, somehow, you could come up with a time machine and send the present Dubs back to the late 70s, would they beat Heffo's Heroes?
Better still, if the the present team hadn't the benefits of physiologists, nutritionists, personal trainers and individually tailored fitness and diet regimes, would they match up to John McCarthy and Jimmy Keaveney and the others ?
Heffo's training standards might have been revolutionary back then but a Div 4 side today would run around them in terms of conditioning and psychological fine tuning, for the want of a more appropriate term. If you took away the props that today's team enjoys and put them up against Heffo's side or , say, Micko's Kerry of the same era, I wouldn't honestly be prepared to bet on the outcome.
Still, I think I'd go with the teams of the 70s, purely because football back then was filthy.
Check this out!..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9VY7BKKCw
Them were men back then!
They'd knock the stuffing out of any one around today.
(That is, if you have a ref from that time also. Today's reffs would have the whole effin' 30 of them sidelined before half time.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 18, 2019, 05:57:52 PM

We could only really judge that if some of the other good teams from other eras had the fitness S&C and preparation that Dublin currently do.

I thought Dublin were beatable in the 2013,2016 and 2017 AI finals and Kerry had the beating of Dublin in the 2016 semi final also but let it slip through their fingers.

When you say beatable? What games stood out where Dublin looked weak or vulnerable?

All the games i mentioned, not so much weak but the Dubs where there to beaten but little moments here and there made the difference.

Little moments like having a decent bench to go to coming into the last 15 minutes?

Wildweasel74

Well the next team to them be still Kerry and of the late 70's early 80's

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2019, 08:04:13 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 18, 2019, 05:57:52 PM

Little moments like having a decent bench to go to coming into the last 15 minutes?
Moments like Donal Vaughan foolishly getting himself send off.

As for decent bench, I'm not going to go through each game but for the 2017 AI final Mayo brought on 3 minor and U21 All Ireland winners in Diarmuid O'Connor,Conor Loftus and Stephen Coen which would be the very definition of decent.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

dublin7

Or having a reliable cool headed goalkeeper and not missing free kicks in consecutive finals

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on August 18, 2019, 09:35:18 PM
Or having a reliable cool headed goalkeeper and not missing free kicks in consecutive finals
Absolutely!

There has never been a moment where Dublin were going to lose any of the games circa 2013-2017. There may have been the illusion. But it was only that. Full credit to the Dublin GAA and to headquarters for getting the full package and more out of their resources.

It will be a proud moment for GAA President John Horan next Sunday when he hands over the Sam!

Ball Hopper

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2019, 10:17:23 PM
Absolutely!

There has never been a moment where Dublin were going to lose any of the games circa 2013-2017. There may have been the illusion. But it was only that. Full credit to the Dublin GAA and to headquarters for getting the full package and more out of their resources.

It will be a proud moment for GAA President John Horan next Sunday when he hands over the Sam!

Have you the hotel booked Tony?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 18, 2019, 11:14:13 PM
Absolutely!

Have you the hotel booked Tony?

Ftb will probably cite his lack of interest in intercounty football as the reason for this slip. ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

dublin7

Absolutely!

Jimmy McGuinness and Donegal might disagree with about the dubs being unbeatable in 2014 and never looking like losing. Even with Dublin gone Mayo couldn't win the All Ireland, but I suppose that was to do with funding as well ::)

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on August 19, 2019, 08:17:24 AM
Absolutely!

Jimmy McGuinness and Donegal might disagree with about the dubs being unbeatable in 2014 and never looking like losing. Even with Dublin gone Mayo couldn't win the All Ireland, but I suppose that was to do with funding as well ::)

Mayo were knocked out of the 2014 championship before Dublin.

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 19, 2019, 10:05:46 AM
Absolutely!

My point is why didn't Mayo win the all Ireland without the Dubs in it?  You keep moaing about the dubs, but they were gone that year and Mayo still didn't win it.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on August 19, 2019, 12:54:08 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 19, 2019, 10:05:46 AM
Absolutely!

My point is why didn't Mayo win the all Ireland without the Dubs in it?  You keep moaing about the dubs, but they were gone that year and Mayo still didn't win it.
Because Mayo were still a developing side back in 2012.  Furthermore, they had lost their ace forward, Andy Moran in the quarter final against Down and he was the most valuable player on the team.. no question about that. Leading up to the final, Alan Dillon was reported doubtful because he had a dose of flu and was only passed fit to play just before the game. Aidan O'Shea was injured during training and it certainly affected his game.
To cap it all Mayo's kamikaze characteristics were there to be seen when they let in two of the softest goals you will ever see on AI day.
However, the following year with the added experience and a full side they knocked the stuffing out of Donegal.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi