2020/21 All Ireland Football Championship

Started by Angelo, June 06, 2020, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: Angelo on June 06, 2020, 01:48:40 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 06, 2020, 01:46:21 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 06, 2020, 01:26:42 PM
From journalist Colm Keys whom is normal accurate.

QuoteThe format of inter-county competitions will not be revealed until close to phase three, in about three weeks time.
But it looks certain that it will be knock-out, using the existing provincial championship draws and will run through November and into December, if required.

Is it Connacht v Munster in the semi's this year?

Galway will enter the last 8 the All Ireland series via winning a game against a Div 4 side.

It's an absolute farce if it goes ahead as it looks like.
True but that's no different to what could have happened prior to the backdoor being introduced anyway. I would personally favour an open draw.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: J70 on June 06, 2020, 02:12:09 PM
What about splitting the 32 teams into eight groups of four, using seedings? Then everyone is guaranteed at least three championship games. Go knockout from last 16. It would only add two weeks anyway.

And yeah, I know there'd be dead rubbers and drubbings, but you're going to get that anyway.

Put it this way, is whoever is drawn against Dublin or Kerry really going to put in a couple of months hard training for a one-game-and-that's-your-season hammering?

Those extra few weeks should be used to finished off the NFL IMO. 

Angelo

Put it this way, is whoever is drawn against Dublin or Kerry really going to put in a couple of months hard training for a one-game-and-that's-your-season hammering?

Would the best way around this be do a seeded draw for the round of 32, Div 1 and 2 sides seeded, div 3 and 4 unseeded.

Then the winners go onto the round of 16 and the losers go into a round of 16 for a B Championship.

I'd imagine there will be uproar from a few of the Ulster counties if they are going to play out the Championship straight knockout as it was drawn.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

J70

Quote from: Angelo on June 06, 2020, 04:46:25 PM

Would the best way around this be do a seeded draw for the round of 32, Div 1 and 2 sides seeded, div 3 and 4 unseeded.

Then the winners go onto the round of 16 and the losers go into a round of 16 for a B Championship.

I'd imagine there will be uproar from a few of the Ulster counties if they are going to play out the Championship straight knockout as it was drawn.

Might be a good opportunity to give a B championship a try-out after all the talk about it.

Ballybofey will not be a place for the faint-hearted if Donegal v Tyrone gets the go ahead with no second chance for the losers. :)

Rossfan

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 06, 2020, 03:29:14 PM
What about splitting the 32 teams into eight groups of four, using seedings? Then everyone is guaranteed at least three championship games. Go knockout from last 16. It would only add two weeks anyway.

And yeah, I know there'd be dead rubbers and drubbings, but you're going to get that anyway.

Those extra few weeks should be used to finished off the NFL IMO.
At least then Sligo and Leitrim would have something to play for fighting to get promotion and avoid relegation.
Drawn against Galway and Mayowestros without Qualifiers will hardly entice them to take it very seriously having just had a Club campaign and the 2021 League only 10 ir 12 weeks away.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eire90

best way is 32 team knockout no seeds it will be great but gaa wont do it  if they go with the provincial system then id love to see donegal v tyrone game on a saturday night under lights

Eire90

I know it cant happen because gaa is amautuer and players need to work but imagine a world cup style knockout tournament of 32 teams played over 2 or 3 weeks with games throwing in at like 5pm and 8pm every day so we could see tyrone v down at 5pm on a wednesday

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on June 10, 2020, 05:22:55 AM
I know it cant happen because gaa is amautuer and players need to work but imagine a world cup style knockout tournament of 32 teams played over 2 or 3 weeks with games throwing in at like 5pm and 8pm every day so we could see tyrone v down at 5pm on a wednesday

Words fail me!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

Correct

BennyCake

Aye, driving from killybegs to Newry on a week night. Sure we'll all be off school for the summer holidays so it won't be a problem  ;D

Rossfan

Good to see they plan finishing the 2 Rounds of NFL anyway.
Would I be right in thinking they'll have a backdoor in Hurling but only knock out in football

Ros County Board have issued their draft fixtures for the various Football Championships and the Hurling one.
I expect the Clubs will run with it?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Watcher

It should be an open draw and straight knock out. Forget about provincial championships for once!!!

Eire90

provincials are unbalanced go 32 team ko

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 13, 2020, 07:50:12 PM
Good to see they plan finishing the 2 Rounds of NFL anyway.
Would I be right in thinking they'll have a backdoor in Hurling but only knock out in football

Ros County Board have issued their draft fixtures for the various Football Championships and the Hurling one.
I expect the Clubs will run with it?

What if the CCCC push forward the county competitions? That would mean wholesale changes for club fixtures. Not saying they will, but with nearly every other thing brought forward it wouldn't surprise me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.