County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Red eye on August 20, 2015, 04:20:08 PM
Quote from: SamFever on August 20, 2015, 02:18:29 PM
From Gaelic Life Twitter;;;;
GAELIC Life understands that Jim McCorry is to consider his position as manager of the Down senior football team.

The county executive met with the Mourne boss this week, and McCorry had hoped that a number of his doubts would be allayed. It seems, however, that issues still remain in place.

It is believed that McCorry requested the meeting four weeks ago, and the delay in scheduling it has not helped the siutation.

He is now likely to discuss the matter with his management team and advisors. It is understood that the Down players are very keen on him to remain in charge.

Despite a disappointing championship campaign, including a qualifier defeat to Wexford, McCorry appeared to be on solid ground due to it being his first year in charge, and also, due to the fact that he guided the team into division one.

That belief, however, fell apart when the county management recommended that he be removed from his post last month on a 7-6 score after they held a vote.

In the subsequent county board meeting, the clubs and board voted 23-13 in his favour. The seven who voted against him in the management committee then cast another seven votes against him to bring it to an overall 22-20 figure, ensuring he was retained as manager.

As for now, McCorry remains in charge and he was present at a number of club championship matches in recent weeks as he tries to spot new talent. Dan Gordon and Martin Clarke are expected to return to the county scene for the 2016 season.

Related Posts:

Saw that - know his comments after qualifier defeat didn't endear him among the Down support, and am still unsure. Claiming promotion to Div 1 was unexpected but they'll be under pressure to stay there, even with Dan and Marty back on board.
Am sure supporters are looking at Fermanagh and thinking there's a Down manager with a good record and yet he's in Fermanagh. Dunno what the County Board have against Pete but Down's loss looks like Fermanagh's gain.
If Sean Ward continues with the good work at Burren might be an option in another year or two but he would need to carry on with good work being done at present.
Can't see Armagh not reappointing Geezer.
What's the craic in Derry - Baker not considered? Barton? Or are they def looking outside the county - think last non Derry manager was Mullins?

Baker... God no!

Barton... Has a terrible record and there's probably not enough money in it for him!

BennyCake

McCorry did the right thing, and walked away.

moysider

Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2015, 02:03:55 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 20, 2015, 01:36:19 PM
I see Banty is linking himself with the Derry job. Any thoughts Derry folk?

Hard to know. In some ways he's the brash no nonsense character we need to get everyone pulling together. He'll be able to get the funding needed and he's cute enough to get all the players he needs/wants to play for the County. Also he's a strong enough character to lay down the law to the County Board when it's needed as well. Along with that he seems to be a players man a bit like Coleman maybe.

Managerially though does he have it at the top level in terms of preparation/tactics etc?? I just don't know.

A lot depends on who he can get to come along with him. Will it still be McElkennon? I'd rather see someone else come in I think. My own preference for the Derry job was Tony McEntee. I'd love to see him pull McEntee in along with him if it were possible.

Would you really even contemplate Banty?

regal

Screenexile, you're in dreamland to think t mcentee would join Banty as derry's assistant manager!!!! The Derry job doesn't look too appealing, although Banty is clearly disparate to get back involved. Perhaps he could persuade (dungiven's) Gregory mcgonigle (I think he works for Banty) to join him? Will the downey's ever through their hat into the ring?

T mcentee will probably get the down job, although considering how McCorry has been treated, he might be wiser to give it a wide berth. I've no doubt Pete mcgrath would jump at the chance to manage down again but will he get the chance?

Personally, I would like to see mcentee or McCorry as mcgeeney's assistant next year in Armagh, but not sure how likely that is

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2015, 11:15:01 PM

Hard to know. In some ways he's the brash no nonsense character we need to get everyone pulling together. He'll be able to get the funding needed and he's cute enough to get all the players he needs/wants to play for the County. Also he's a strong enough character to lay down the law to the County Board when it's needed as well. Along with that he seems to be a players man a bit like Coleman maybe.

Managerially though does he have it at the top level in terms of preparation/tactics etc?? I just don't know.

A lot depends on who he can get to come along with him. Will it still be McElkennon? I'd rather see someone else come in I think. My own preference for the Derry job was Tony McEntee. I'd love to see him pull McEntee in along with him if it were possible.

You getting a bit worried Ballina's finest will be plotting Mayo's downfall next season, Moy? Bit telling he hasn't ruled himself out..

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 20, 2015, 11:46:49 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2015, 11:15:01 PM

You getting a bit worried Ballina's finest will be plotting Mayo's downfall next season, Moy? Bit telling he hasn't ruled himself out..

Ballina's finest is interested in managing Derry?

ck

Are Derry really taking this Banty actor seriously? To me Banty is an out and out con man. I can't believe he's still being linked to county jobs. He's DESPERATE to get back into the limelight and raises his hand for every county job going. He'll be sniffing around Down now too.

AZOffaly

Jesus. Tommy, Tom, Carr has expressed an interest in the Tipperary job. In the name of God, no. I know Declan hurled for Tipp, but that's no excuse!

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 21, 2015, 03:14:54 PM
Jesus. Tommy, Tom, Carr has expressed an interest in the Tipperary job. In the name of God, no. I know Declan hurled for Tipp, but that's no excuse!

He took one primrose and blue team to the AIQFs, why not another?

moysider

Sure he's a Tipp man. Played for them before Dublin.

Remember the time he was rude to journalists after a Dublin game when he was trying to get info back from a Tipp hurling match on the phone.

Gael85

Tipp would want to stay well clear. if he took Tipp job would he be the first manager to manage in all 4 provinces as previously managed Dublin,Roscommon and Cavan??

Gael85

Quote from: regal on August 20, 2015, 11:24:11 PM
Screenexile, you're in dreamland to think t mcentee would join Banty as derry's assistant manager!!!! The Derry job doesn't look too appealing, although Banty is clearly disparate to get back involved. Perhaps he could persuade (dungiven's) Gregory mcgonigle (I think he works for Banty) to join him? Will the downey's ever through their hat into the ring?

T mcentee will probably get the down job, although considering how McCorry has been treated, he might be wiser to give it a wide berth. I've no doubt Pete mcgrath would jump at the chance to manage down again but will he get the chance?

Is McEntee still involved with St Brigids in Dublin? he managed them last year but they didn't do great
Is
Personally, I would like to see mcentee or McCorry as mcgeeney's assistant next year in Armagh, but not sure how likely that is

moysider

Quote from: Gael85 on August 22, 2015, 01:36:04 AM

Tipp would want to stay well clear. if he took Tipp job would he be the first manager to manage in all 4 provinces as previously managed Dublin,Roscommon and Cavan??

Great CV! What more could you ask for ;D. Appoint him before somebody else snares him.

Wildweasel74

T McEntee woudl be my preferred choice for the Derry Job, Derry need to look outside the county for an outside manager this time round,

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere