2016 Summer Olympics Rio

Started by DrinkingHarp, May 24, 2016, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

moysider

And his missus got bronze in the heptathlon.

They could do a nice business with embryo transplants! I m sure there would be lots of interested nations, lol.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

moysider

Aaron Boone

I see Russia have 12 gold, 15 silver & 17 bronze. An impressive haul for half-a-team.

Dinny Breen

Couple of interesting links

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

Ireland 34th on population, and if our boxers hadn't under-performed/cheated out of we probably would been top 20. Very respectable. Would like to see one on money spent on elite athletes, would expect the UK to be near the bottom. By the way as you can see with Dublin, money buys success, just read soccernomics or watch with your own eyes Team GBs success.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/08/17/lift-the-ban-on-athlete-doping/

An argument to lift the ban on doping, seeing myself swing this way...
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Australia aren't happy, delighted for them  :D

http://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/is-australias-disastrous-olympic-campaign-really-340-million-well-spent/news-story/b6d9d7211136bbc8309939e42ec6e471

However this paragraph struck home for me
Compared with other nations, the money Australia has thrown at the Games starts to look less crazy. Great Britain, for example, has spent $600 million on this Olympic cycle, in contrast to Australia's $340 million. That's $10.9 million per medal at the time of writing.

High Performance Sport NZ spent $163 million on this cycle — $11.6 million per medal.

The US spent $1.042 billion on the 2012 Games cycle. If they've spent the same (and it's likely to be more) on Rio, their current figure would be $11 million per medal.
#newbridgeornowhere

bennydorano

Money buying success is a point I've made annually in the TDF thread in regards to Sky, but a lot of people prefer to run with doping - Team with most funding, best resources & most talent (bought in at big expense annually ) win stuff shocker.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: bennydorano on August 19, 2016, 12:48:15 PM
Money buying success is a point I've made annually in the TDF thread in regards to Sky, but a lot of people prefer to run with doping - Team with most funding, best resources & most talent (bought in at big expense annually ) win stuff shocker.

Where was Froome's talent for the first 25 years of his life. He's a doper, they all are in cycling.
#newbridgeornowhere

imtommygunn

Even basic things like is an athlete full time etc make a massive difference. Most of the gb athletes can be full time with the funding. How many in Ireland can be full time athletes? I know of one on the squad but the likes of Treacy and Pollock are doctors, Barr is a student etc etc. It's a massive battle.

That's before you go into their high performance institutes, access to coaches etc etc

This is only T&F. Obviously boxing etc differ but makes a massive difference etc.

If for example you were a gymnast in Ireland how would you get the funding to go full time? (Assuming you were good enough) I doubt you would. Also the max funding isn't superb either when you are funded.

Maroon Manc

I heard Cavendish on the radio yesterday claiming that the GB team don't have the same resources for the world championship as they do for the Olympics.

gallsman

He was on BBC breakfast this morning. Seemed to be a deliberate PR effort to paint a smiley, cheery happier portrait of him.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: gallsman on August 19, 2016, 01:04:35 PM
He was on BBC breakfast this morning. Seemed to be a deliberate PR effort to paint a smiley, cheery happier portrait of him.

Don't know a lot about him other then he comes across a bit thick anytime I've listened to him.

AZOffaly

Is Race Walking the stupidest sport ever? Does Rob Heffernan walk to the shops like that?

mrdeeds

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2016, 01:23:30 PM
Is Race Walking the stupidest sport ever? Does Rob Heffernan walk to the shops like that?

Supposedly one of the toughest.