Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

wanderer

Fermanagh had young full corner-back Marty O'Brien sent off in the 33rd minute as they fell to defeat in their league opener away to Offaly.

The Devenish debutant got a straight red for an off-the-ball incident.

Fermanagh, boosted by a Daryl Keenan goal on 14 minutes, were just 0-9 to 1-5 down at half-time.

But Offaly's Ciaran McManus burst through to score a goal with a shot which came off Fermanagh's Ryan Jones before looping into the net.

Fermanagh were left to reflect on their weaknesses up front.

Five of their front players had not featured in the 2009 Championship and the Ulster side hit eight shots into the Offaly keeper and had nine wides.

Fermanagh made a sluggish start and, although Matthew Keenan landed a wonderful strike from 50 metres, Offaly enjoyed a 0-4 to 0-1 lead.

But the Erne county levelled matters when Daryl Keenan found the net after Offaly keeper Alan Mulhall had parried out a shot.

Skipper James Sherry and another from Matthew Keenan added to Fermanagh's tally and the counties were level at 0-6 to 1-3.

Then came the red card before Jones and Sherry added points for Fermanagh before half-time.

bennylewis

Quote from: Caid on February 05, 2010, 04:10:21 PM
Quote from: bennylewis on February 03, 2010, 08:47:00 PM
The word is the bonding weekend in kildare was a disaster, players getting hosed with cold water as they shower, running about the place carrying logs, sleeping in sub standard accomodation, getting flogged the week before the start of the league, sounds like the pressure is on the management and panic is setting in already   >:(

Bullshit

Very intellectual reply Caid !!!!!!!!, hate to say it but todays defeat was waiting to happen. I travelled to Tullamore more in hope today, but again another let down in a match we should be winning. You questioned my synopsis of the 'bonding' weekend in Kildare in your eloquent post, I happen to have a family member on the current panel who is more than unhappy what went on last weekend and who considered leaving the panel only for the intervention of his father and other family members. We were very proud when the cub became the first member of the family to gain selection for fermanagh, but it so far has been a fairly shambolic experience,  players treated like school kids rather than inter county players, fear of speaking out prevent players from venting their displeasure as it results in them being dropped from the team.

FermPundit

Quote from: bennylewis on February 07, 2010, 08:17:03 PM
Quote from: Caid on February 05, 2010, 04:10:21 PM
Quote from: bennylewis on February 03, 2010, 08:47:00 PM
The word is the bonding weekend in kildare was a disaster, players getting hosed with cold water as they shower, running about the place carrying logs, sleeping in sub standard accomodation, getting flogged the week before the start of the league, sounds like the pressure is on the management and panic is setting in already   >:(

Bullshit

Very intellectual reply Caid !!!!!!!!, hate to say it but todays defeat was waiting to happen. I travelled to Tullamore more in hope today, but again another let down in a match we should be winning. You questioned my synopsis of the 'bonding' weekend in Kildare in your eloquent post, I happen to have a family member on the current panel who is more than unhappy what went on last weekend and who considered leaving the panel only for the intervention of his father and other family members. We were very proud when the cub became the first member of the family to gain selection for fermanagh, but it so far has been a fairly shambolic experience,  players treated like school kids rather than inter county players, fear of speaking out prevent players from venting their displeasure as it results in them being dropped from the team.

Benny, in fairness to Caid, I'm not sure if his response was in regard to whether the weekend took place or whether he doesn't agree with you that it is an indication that the current management are under pressure.

Today's result was disappointing but when we you go through the team that lined out, it wasn't a complete surprise we were beaten. Five of the forwards didn't even play in last year's championship. The lack of experience at this level means that results like today will happen. The current squad is talented but extremely young. In my opinion, unless we get some of the senior guys back, promotion will be a big ask.

We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

FermGael

Quote from: bennylewis on February 07, 2010, 08:17:03 PM

Benny I could  very nearly work out who the player is from your post.  I would say that he would not appreciate this being on the web.

As for the match, I was there on sunday.
R Jones is too light for midfield.  He is s good prospect but lacks the physicality for midfield at the moment.  Think he still still good enough to be on the team though.  Maybe wing half forward??
The positives were D and M Keenan.  Both looked really dangerous. Rory Gallagher showing glimpses of class(his pass for the fermanagh goal was unreal) but sometimes took too much out of the ball.  Seemed to be trying to hard at times.  The Offally full forward line played well and fermanagh could do with get Goan back as soon as. We missed him yesterday.  Mulrone did well at times bringing the ball out of defence but his man did a lot of damage.  Needs to get tighter but he will improve and learn.  Martin O'Brien was silly yesterday getting sent of but the Offally forward should have went as well.  How an umpire can see one and not the other is beyond belief.  Losing the man really hamstrung Fermanagh.  The Offally goal was the difference in the end and came as Fermanagh were getting on top in the second half.  After that Offally just sat back and protected there lead.  Too many balls kicked into the keepers hands in the first half and at the end, we missed 2 very kickable frees.  But considering the age of the team that was on and the players that were missing, it was not a bad performance.  James Sherry is playing the football of his life at the moment.  Carson was a late withdrawal yesterday and will be back for Saturday.  Need to win our next 3 if we are to have a chance of promotion
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

haranguerer

If hes just made the panel now Benny (and fair play to him for doing so), then how does he know how senior intercounty players should be treated?

You're not the only one who knows players, and while I heard about it being pretty brutal, anyone I was talking to certainly didnt see it as either a waste of time, nor a poor reflection on the management, as you imply.

Also, if your sibling only remains on the panel because he feels he has to due to pressure from family members, then he'd be a lot better leaving it - first and foremost you have to be there because you want to be there, not because anyone else wants you to be there.

bennylewis

Quote from: haranguerer on February 08, 2010, 11:14:48 AM
If hes just made the panel now Benny (and fair play to him for doing so), then how does he know how senior intercounty players should be treated?

You're not the only one who knows players, and while I heard about it being pretty brutal, anyone I was talking to certainly didnt see it as either a waste of time, nor a poor reflection on the management, as you imply.

Also, if your sibling only remains on the panel because he feels he has to due to pressure from family members, then he'd be a lot better leaving it - first and foremost you have to be there because you want to be there, not because anyone else wants you to be there.

Fair enough points....I think a wee bit of frustration had set in after yesterdays fruitless journey, still i will continue to back the men in the green and white, and hopefully we will get our league campaign off and running next sunday against the rossies.

haranguerer

Its easy to get frustrated following Fermanagh!  :D

I'm not overly surprised and thus not overly disappointed by the result in Tullamore.

We're still missing key players, and a lot of improvement will be made. However, a win this sat is vital.

AidyMac

Champioship draw made

Some interesting draws

SFC First Round
A Derrygonnelly v Newtownbutler
B Kinawley v Enniskillen
C Belcoo v Roslea
D Teemore v Tempo

SFC Quarter Finals
St.Joseph's v St.Patrick's
A v Devenish
Erne Gaels v B
D v C

FermGael

As a Gaels man, this is a hard draw.
A Fellow divison 2 team in the first round and then the winners play Erne Gaels from division 1 in the quarters.
Erne Gaels and Kinawley(reining intermediate champions) will be regarded as favourites, but we will give it a rattle

118cmal

Quote from: FermGael on February 09, 2010, 12:13:47 PM
A Fellow divison 2 team in the first round and then the winners play Erne Gaels from division 1 in the quarters.
Erne Gaels and Kinawley(reining intermediate champions) will be regarded as favourites, but we will give it a rattle

Haha nice one Ferm!

Enniskillen have a very good draw, should cruise to the semis.

Any way of getting odds on the Ferm championship?

sammymaguire

champions gone at the first hurdle  :o  :o
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

FermGael

Quote from: 118cmal on February 09, 2010, 12:30:43 PM
Quote from: FermGael on February 09, 2010, 12:13:47 PM

Haha nice one Ferm!

Enniskillen have a very good draw, should cruise to the semis.

Any way of getting odds on the Ferm championship?

Ah now Mal.
Sure the gaels are a spent force. 
All our players are too old.  Most in there late twenties and past it.
A soccer man taking the team this year.
No Chance  ;)

FermGael

Just looking at the other draws there now.
It seems that Tempo are entering a thirds team which is great to see along with Teemore and Derrygonnelly.

THERE IS NO JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP THIS YEAR WHICH IS A DISGRACE.
FERMANAGH WILL HAVE NO REPRESETNATATIVES IN THE JUNIOR ULSTER'S THIS YEAR.
The Junior championship used to be a very meaningful competition.
Surely the Fermanagh county board should be taking a motion to the Ulster Congress looking for
the possibility of Fermanagh having a reserve team represent them. 

Coa, Belanleck and Maguiresbridge are all in the intermediate.
Lisnaskea should win this at a canter.  Only real serious opposition is B'Boro

Caid

Ah now Mal.
Sure the gaels are a spent force. 
All our players are too old.  Most in there late twenties and past it.
A soccer man taking the team this year.
No Chance  ;)

Good to see reality setting in amongst the Gaels fans at last!  But sure when Kinawly beat youse you can always shout for the other Enniskillen men that will be togging out for Coa and Belnaleck in the Intermediate!
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermGael

Quote from: Caid on February 09, 2010, 09:52:45 PM

Good to see reality setting in amongst the Gaels fans at last!  But sure when Kinawly beat youse you can always shout for the other Enniskillen men that will be togging out for Coa and Belnaleck in the Intermediate!

True.  True.

At least we do ot delude ourselves every year by Saying
(1) that we have the best young team in fermanagh and its only a matter of time
(2) After being put out again in the first round, sure there is always next year  ;)

P.S Caid are there not a few Tempo men playing For Coa this weather too