Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

southdown

Inisceithleann, I see you's were beaten in the Championship, was that a suprise or was that expected?  Who will win it now then?

inisceithleann

Quote from: southdown on August 08, 2007, 02:09:29 PM
Inisceithleann, I see you's were beaten in the Championship, was that a suprise or was that expected?  Who will win it now then?

Newtownbutler to win the senior and Derrygonnelly to win the junior championships.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

SuperHans

Folks whats the craic with the Junior championships and Erne cups? is this for reserve or 3rds teams. can the weaker teams like Coa and all enter them aswell

tintin25

Quote from: SuperHans on August 08, 2007, 04:04:51 PM
Folks whats the craic with the Junior championships and Erne cups? is this for reserve or 3rds teams. can the weaker teams like Coa and all enter them aswell

The Junior Championship and Erne Cup are essentially for the reserve teams. At the start of each season teams participating in Senior league 1 and 2 must provide a first 13 list which prevents those named from participating in the Junior grade. Junior league has then 2 divisons. Junior Champ is slightly different in that your prevented from playing in it if you have already participated in the Senior champ. There are 2 junior clubs in fermanagh, Coa and Belanaleck. Coa won the junior champ last year so were enterd in the intermediate champ this year. I assume they will compete in this for the next few years. They also are involved in the Junior league division 1. They are making strides to become a senior club but I think it'll be a nother few years before this happens. Belanaleck play in Erne cup div 2.

inisceithleann

Quote from: tintin25 on August 08, 2007, 04:26:42 PM
Quote from: SuperHans on August 08, 2007, 04:04:51 PM

The Junior Championship and Erne Cup are essentially for the reserve teams. At the start of each season teams participating in Senior league 1 and 2 must provide a first 13 list which prevents those named from participating in the Junior grade. Junior league has then 2 divisons. Junior Champ is slightly different in that your prevented from playing in it if you have already participated in the Senior champ. There are 2 junior clubs in fermanagh, Coa and Belanaleck. Coa won the junior champ last year so were enterd in the intermediate champ this year. I assume they will compete in this for the next few years. They also are involved in the Junior league division 1. They are making strides to become a senior club but I think it'll be a nother few years before this happens. Belanaleck play in Erne cup div 2.

Calling it a junior championship is a complete misnomer as it's effectively a reserve championship with only belnaleck playing solely at junior level. I've always advocated that we should change the name of the competition as it causes confusion as evidented by SuperHans' post. Tintin25, I take it Belnaleck will represent Fermanagh in the Ulster junior club championship this year considering Coa played at intermediate level?

tintin25

Yeah, that's right. Belanaleck will represent Fermanagh in the provincial series. Good to see them getting some exposure but you'd think the winners of the Junior champ could play in it even though that would more than likely be a senior reserve team. Agree with you about renaming it the reserve champ as that's what it is.

inisceithleann

Quote from: tintin25 on August 08, 2007, 05:29:12 PM
Yeah, that's right. Belanaleck will represent Fermanagh in the provincial series. Good to see them getting some exposure but you'd think the winners of the Junior champ could play in it even though that would more than likely be a senior reserve team. Agree with you about renaming it the reserve champ as that's what it is.

Is letting Belanaleck or Coa represent Fermanagh only been happening for the last few years? In the past if a senior club's junior team won did Fermanagh not have a representative in Ulster?

FermPundit

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 08, 2007, 05:33:41 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on August 08, 2007, 05:29:12 PM

Is letting Belanaleck or Coa represent Fermanagh only been happening for the last few years? In the past if a senior club's junior team won did Fermanagh not have a representative in Ulster?
As far as I know it is quite a recent thing. I think the last non junior club to represent the county in the ulster junior championship was Derrygonnelly but I'm not a 100% sure on this.

We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

tintin25

Anyone know of the JFC QF Draw? Also, with regards the Fermanagh representatives in the Junior provincial series, I think this practice of only allowing junior clubs represent Fermanagh only started about 2/3 years ago. The Junior/Intermediate provincial series wasn't recognised by the Ulster Council a few years back. I think it was Clontibret or Scotstown maybe who organised a provincial series for these grades before it was officially recognised by the Ulster council or maybe Croke park as an all-ireland series similiar to the senior club.

inisceithleann

Tuesday 14th August 2007
Philip Swift (Super Valu) JFC Qtr-finals @ 7.30 pm

Teemore v Belnaleck/St.Patricks @Derrylin
Tempo v Newtownbutler @Brookeborough
Devenish v Lisnaskea @Irvinestown
Kinawley v Derrygonnelly/Roslea if D'gonnelly @Belcoo if Roslea @Maguiresbridge

tintin25

Lads, any reports on the Senior SF's at the wkend??

inisceithleann

Quote from: tintin25 on August 14, 2007, 02:45:21 PM

didn't get to either game tintin but just heard reports from friends. brookeboro very lucky against newtown. apparently kieran donnelly was flying for them again. fermanagh have really missed his ball carrying skills. the derrygonnelly and teemore game was destroyed by the weather i hear. teemore apparently dropped an extra man back all the time and ward and others were deprieved of any space to run at teemore's defence. you'd have to fancy newtown for their replay. ederney being beaten by kinawley. no real suprise there i don't think. what about the brian boru's chances in ulster? surely they'll have to improve. intermediate level in every other county is probably the equivalent to senior level in fermanagh in a lot of clubs cases.

tintin25

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 14, 2007, 02:52:12 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on August 14, 2007, 02:45:21 PM

didn't get to either game tintin but just heard reports from friends. brookeboro very lucky against newtown. apparently kieran donnelly was flying for them again. fermanagh have really missed his ball carrying skills. the derrygonnelly and teemore game was destroyed by the weather i hear. teemore apparently dropped an extra man back all the time and ward and others were deprieved of any space to run at teemore's defence. you'd have to fancy newtown for their replay. ederney being beaten by kinawley. no real suprise there i don't think. what about the brian boru's chances in ulster? surely they'll have to improve. intermediate level in every other county is probably the equivalent to senior level in fermanagh in a lot of clubs cases.

Yeah, would probably have to fancy NTB for the replay but it'd be great to see Brookboro win. I heard Donnelly is playing some stuff alright. Teemore are a very solid side and they don't give much away. Good win for Kinawley in the Intermediate Champ....been nearly 20 years since their last title at senior grade!! Hopefully they can give Ulster a good lash but they would seriousley have to improve. To be honest, this title win disguises what has been a poor couple of years for the club at senior grade. The priority was promotion and this hasn't been acheived after 2 campaigns. An Intermediate Championship medal is nothing to be sniffed at however and we defo have players capable of mounting an assault on Ulster. I agree the standard of Intermediate in some other counties would be greater to our own, specifically Tyrone, Derry and possibly Monaghan. Although, Belcoo were only beat by 3 pts by the eventual Ulster winners last year so who knows.

FermGael

well hello everyone.  Howse it going??
I see that the clubs have to put in there nonimations this weekend.  Any one heard anything??
Was not be the least bit surprised to hear Sean Maguire's name been linked with the job.  I hope that someone in the
county board remembers what he did to one of our best minor teams of the last 20 years.
Anyone know if Sean Donnelly is interested??  Seems to have done a good job with Teemore.
Would not be surprised to see Brookeborough beat NTB this weekend.   
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

inisceithleann

Quote from: FermGael on August 16, 2007, 08:34:34 AM
well hello everyone.  Howse it going??
I see that the clubs have to put in there nonimations this weekend.  Any one heard anything??
Was not be the least bit surprised to hear Sean Maguire's name been linked with the job.  I hope that someone in the
county board remembers what he did to one of our best minor teams of the last 20 years.
Anyone know if Sean Donnelly is interested??  Seems to have done a good job with Teemore.
Would not be surprised to see Brookeborough beat NTB this weekend.  

I haven't heard Sean Maguire linked with the job and I doubt he'd get it even if Donagh nominated him. The people choice seems to be Malachy O'Rourke but he may be happy in club football so I dunno what it would take to get him to take the job. I heard a rumour that Liam Donnelly from Trillick was in for the job. Dunno how true it i though.