Hurling Championship 2019

Started by seafoid, May 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 18, 2019, 09:32:57 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 18, 2019, 08:37:49 PM
I don't pretend to be a hurling man but is that not a straight forward red card in any sport? I can't understand the debate on it.

Is there debate surrounding it? For me the strange thing is why he didn't even book the tipp lad who wrapped his hurl round Hogan's face

If you look on twitter (granted never a good place to look for sensible/reasonable points of view) its amazing the amount of former hurlers who are lashing the referee for the red card. Player safety and the fact he was hit in the head is irrelevant to them. All going along with the likes of Duignan who seem to think hits to the head are the same as a big shoulder

Rudi

I don't pretend to be a hurling man but is that not a straight forward red card in any sport? I can't understand the debate on it.

Now Jackie Tyrell on Sunday game spirit of All Ireland,  he nearly broke his F%ckin jaw.

Rudi

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 18, 2019, 05:03:43 PM
Liam Sheedy a unlikeable bollix. Jumping up and down on the sideline when they are more than 10pts clear.

Find that harsh, he is a highly passionate over achieving manager. As an analyst found him articulate and accurate. It's clear his players buy into him and he buys into them. Good luck to him. Jim Gavin is quiet on the line, that's the way he rolls,  good luck to him also, can't please everyone. Have went to a number of U10 blitzs over the years in Derry, can recall 2 particular teams who'd have 6 coaches roaring and shouting abuse at their own team and the opposition, jumping up and down like scalded hyenas if they won a game.

Main Street

It should have been Wexford's year.

Gael85

Well done to Tipp. Class forwards who were the difference.

manfromdelmonte

Almost every player in the minor game was using an altered faceguard

When are the GAA going to clamp down on this?

It's no wonder Richie got a hurley through the visor. Half the bars are missing

Milltown Row2

We all want the full 15 players on both teams playing out an end to end thriller but it was a red, ref the match not the occasion is what they say. There should have been a penalty in the first half, actually that was the easiest of calls. The elbow in face yes a red card by the book, different ref may have given a free and moved on, problem arises from what's being said into his headset! He's (in my book) giving a decision based on another persons call.

Hogan was due to be replaced I thought leading up to that.

On the game I thought Tipp would have won but they'd not have won by as many as they did in fairness.

Great occasion and fair play Sheedy, as hungry and as passionate a hurling man you'll get
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

t_mac

Great day out, rain was a disaster when it came down it was torrential. Never thought it was a red until watched Sunday game but don't think there was any malice in it. Well done Tipp blew them away in second half.

seafoid

Ní uasal agus íseal ach thuas seal agus thíos seal

Kilkenny won a very handy replay in 2012 v Galway
after Cyril Donnellan was sent off. It ruined the game
as a spectacle but Shefflin didn't complain .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Is there debate surrounding it? For me the strange thing is why he didn't even book the tipp lad who wrapped his hurl round Hogan's face

There clearly is, even in the studio at half time sheflin said no Red. John Mullane on radio said it was very harsh and there are a lot of people of Facebook and Twitter blaming the ref for ruining the final.

imtommygunn

IMO that's because so much is let go in hurling. It pretty much has to be a red though as David said no consistency.

hurling refs this year have shot themselves in the foot a bit by letting loads go and then picking up on somethings but not all so then they lack consistency.

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 19, 2019, 08:48:49 AM
IMO that's because so much is let go in hurling. It pretty much has to be a red though as David said no consistency.

hurling refs this year have shot themselves in the foot a bit by letting loads go and then picking up on somethings but not all so then they lack consistency.

True. Cilian Buckley had a similar one in semi-final iirc - an elbow V Limerick but did he get a card???

As someone else stated, wild swing to head by Tipp lad when KK lad was on the ground near the sideline.It was mistimed and  not deliberate  but not even a card. 

What was didderent between that and Richie Hogan's?

imtommygunn

Yeah in isolation Hogan's tackle is a red card but when looking at consistency compared to other decisions that is when it becomes more controversial.

I think eventually Tipp would have taken control anyway. Feel a bit for Hoga although I do think there was some red mist from previous incidents.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on August 19, 2019, 08:32:33 AM

There clearly is, even in the studio at half time sheflin said no Red. John Mullane on radio said it was very harsh and there are a lot of people of Facebook and Twitter blaming the ref for ruining the final.

2012 Final replay

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/pivotal-moments-1.546072

Kilkenny 1-11 Galway 2-4

49 mins

A critical minute.

Canning appears from the left and is picked out. His shot whips across the goalmouth with David Herity beaten but hits the far post and rebounds into play.

Within seconds Buckley hits a point at the other end and Donnellan flicks out at JJ Delaney after the ball has gone and is red carded.

Kilkenny 1-14 Galway 2-7

56 mins

Killkenny's improvement at centrefield has turned around an area which Galway have dominated in both previous games. With the match won the effort goes on and Michael Fennelly tracks a run by Andy Smith and, judging his intervention perfectly, flicks the ball away from his Galway opponent.

Kilkenny 1-18 Galway 2-7

58 mins

After the sending-off, the outcome has become inevitable and any notions that adversity would inspire Galway are debunked in a 15-minute period that sees them out-scored 2-7 to 0-1. The first of the goals comes with Walter Walsh capping a fantasy debut by following in to net the rebound from Fergal Flannery's save from TJ Reid.

Kilkenny 2-19 Galway 2-8
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 19, 2019, 09:11:19 AM
Yeah in isolation Hogan's tackle is a red card but when looking at consistency compared to other decisions that is when it becomes more controversial.

I think eventually Tipp would have taken control anyway. Feel a bit for Hoga although I do think there was some red mist from previous incidents.

Barratt and Hogan was flaking each other just before Barratt broke out to the wing to collect that ball.

Hogan had the mist on and was about to bury Barratt but was undone by Barratts neat set back, throwing the elbow up was just too tempting in that situation.
Hogan probably wasn't helped by his lack of remorse but IMO the referee was right to send him off and as Barry Kelly said on the Sunday Game, if that wasn't a sending off offence then what is?