Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: LeoMc on January 23, 2015, 01:02:07 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 23, 2015, 12:50:13 PM
Sinn Fein are complaining about being Classed as British but feel left out about a British debate with British political groups about a British election.

I'm lost here.

At least they don't need an actor to dub their voices anymore. That would have livened up the debate.

Told a few younger lads in their 20s about that over in England here, they couldn't believe it.

deiseach

Quote from: theticklemister on January 23, 2015, 01:04:45 PM
Told a few younger lads in their 20s about that over in England here, they couldn't believe it.

Not that it's possible, but it's an entertaining thought exercise to imagine yourself explaining to an 80/90's Shinner what they eventually came to accept. They wouldn't believe it either.

Minder

Unsurprisingly SF are in favour of the proposal in Belfast City Council to use revenue gathered by  rates to fund political parties, under the guise of having extra  "research" to do.......

Everyone should have to face cutbacks and do more with less, except SF
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

foxcommander

Quote from: deiseach on January 23, 2015, 01:09:54 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 23, 2015, 01:04:45 PM

Not that it's possible, but it's an entertaining thought exercise to imagine yourself explaining to an 80/90's Shinner what they eventually came to accept. They wouldn't believe it either.

Still funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6UhXivPyw4
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on January 23, 2015, 01:12:56 PM
Unsurprisingly SF are in favour of the proposal in Belfast City Council to use revenue gathered by  rates to fund political parties, under the guise of having extra  "research" to do.......

Everyone should have to face cutbacks and do more with less, except SF
The people's party.

Maguire01

Council plans to fund political parties from ratepayers' money

Belfast City Council is considering using ratepayers' money to directly fund political parties to the tune of £175,000 a year, the News Letter can reveal.

In what would be an unprecedented move for a Northern Ireland council, money collected via the rates — which most people assume is used to pay for services such as bin collections, leisure facilities and the upkeep of parks — would be paid directly into political parties.

Sinn Fein, which appears to be the strongest supporter of the proposal, linked the move to the additional powers being given to councils under the reorganisation of local government — despite the fact that that process was meant to save ratepayers money.

Over the four-year term of the council, political parties would collectively receive £700,000 under the plan, at a time when the public sector is apparently under unprecedented financial strain.

The Alliance Party has now come forward to condemn the proposal, something which it said would make City Hall more like a mini-Stormont, with the political money being used to employ the equivalent of 'special advisers (Spads)'.

Stormont has 19 Spads, who are each paid up to £90,000 a year.

The proposal is referred to in a report for the strategic policy and resources committee of the shadow council (which is about to take over running the enlarged council area) as it considers the level of the rates for next year.

The draft budget set out — which has yet to be approved by councillors — says: "The draft estimates include growth of £175k for political assistance. This will be used to the work of party groups and not individual members."

Alliance councillor Michael Long said that at a recent meeting where the issue was discussed he was the only councillor to argue against the proposal.

"Given the fact that the news has been full of budget cuts and potential job losses I assumed that this idea would have been dropped," he said.

"I am therefore amazed to see that when the council is trying to cut its cloth to meet the new economic circumstances, that £175,000 has been included in this year's budget for what many may describe as Spads for City Hall.

"Alliance will be opposing this proposal as we want to see ratepayers' money being focussed on providing frontline services for ratepayers and not on providing support for parties."

Sinn Fein's group leader on the council, Jim McVeigh, defended the proposal.

"We're in favour of it," he said, pointing out that with 19 councillors Sinn Fein "do need some research support to manage the team".

Councillor McVeigh highlighted that the new councils are taking on additional responsibilities such as control of planning applications (councillors' allowances have been increased as a result) and that he envisaged the money being used to pay for research, administrative support and policy advice.

When asked if he could understand why many members of the public may prefer to see funding for frontline services rather than political parties — particularly against a backdrop of austerity — Cllr McVeigh insisted that Belfast City Council is not making any budget cuts.

"We're not making any cuts — in fact the council intends to strike a zero rate for a second year in a row...we're not talking about cutting anything and have invested in front line services and employed more people.

"If the council was having to implement an austerity agenda, it probably would be inappropriate — but we're not."

Christopher Stalford, the DUP chairman of the committee, said: "There are a wide range of views in council on this issue.
"We will be pursuing options that are cost neutral, whereby the operation of council business can be improved at zero cost to the ratepayers.

"We are a low tax party, after all. The DUP in Belfast will continue to pursue efficiencies and savings at every level of the organisation."

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/council-plans-to-fund-political-parties-from-ratepayers-money-1-6538347

Will that be Research Services Ireland again then?

Tony Baloney

Researching new ways to fleece the taxpayer.

give her dixie

Sinn Fein have long ago realised that it doesn't matter what U turns they do, or no matter how much money they steal from us taxpayers, the sheep will follow them blindly to the election booths and keep them in power. Nothing they do surprises me and many others anymore. Sadly too many others havn't copped onto them yet.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Tony Baloney

Quote from: give her dixie on January 23, 2015, 09:36:42 PM
Sinn Fein have long ago realised that it doesn't matter what U turns they do, or no matter how much money they steal from us taxpayers, the sheep will follow them blindly to the election booths and keep them in power. Nothing they do surprises me and many others anymore. Sadly too many others havn't copped onto them yet.
That's about the size of it. A fella in work said their mask hasn't so much slipped as they have said "ah f**k it" and have chucked it in the gutter.

lynchbhoy

So what's the alternative?
Looks like there is even less choice in the six counties than there is down here!

IMO if sf are to counter the dup then sf will have to take their seats in Westminster - or at least say they will and go in for the big ticket votes.

Otherwise it will be back to the 80's and the unionist/ loyalist mp's will earn indulgences from the grateful Brit gov for propping up their vote.

I'd have been sickened at the thoughts of that before, but the name of the game now is to thwart the unionist/loyalist crew from clawing back power- and will be for next number of years, while treading water until the voting majority swings AND the Irish gov makes it attractive for voters north and south to vote in the reunification

trileacman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 24, 2015, 12:44:29 AM
So what's the alternative?
Looks like there is even less choice in the six counties than there is down here!

IMO if sf are to counter the dup then sf will have to take their seats in Westminster - or at least say they will and go in for the big ticket votes.

Otherwise it will be back to the 80's and the unionist/ loyalist mp's will earn indulgences from the grateful Brit gov for propping up their vote.

I'd have been sickened at the thoughts of that before, but the name of the game now is to thwart the unionist/loyalist crew from clawing back power- and will be for next number of years, while treading water until the voting majority swings AND the Irish gov makes it attractive for voters north and south to vote in the reunification

Sorry but where does fleecing the general public come into all of that?

I mean will we all be sitting around enjoying re-unification and reminiscing about the time Caral Ni Chuilin gave 11 grand to her brother in law for f**k all, whilst the executive passed one of the most cutting budgets in 20 years.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Gaffer

Brilliant post!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

seafoid

I think the news that there was child abuse going on between the armalite and ballot box would put me off voting for SF.
Anyway I don't think they are any different to any of the other shower when  it comes to power.

the big question for all politicians

who do you really serve, whose lines do you toe, whose instructions do you obey, what are your ulterior motives, what is your hidden agenda and what  will and will not you do, in whose name, for whose really vested interests if you ever get a sniff of power
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU