Meath v Sligo, Sat July 1st - Pairc Tailteann, Navan, 6pm

Started by ck, June 20, 2017, 01:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

We could make up for a lack of talent to some extent if we had enough players with the necessary athletic ability, but we're still physically miles off the top teams.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman on July 02, 2017, 09:08:07 AM
That was a game we really left behind yesterday. Can't fault the commitment of the players who gave it their all but the game plan we had yesterday was just clueless.

I could understand Carew maybe wanting to show faith in the side that beat New York for the Mayo game but I can't for the life of me understand how McDonnell was then left on the bench for the next two matches.

Devaney being the no. 1 keeper throughout his tenure is gone past a joke at the minute.

Yesterday was there for the taking for us as Meath were really that bad and we should have got that goal right at the end.

I would imagine that's the end of the road for Carew. Who are the likeliest candidates?

An ex player like O'Hara or Taylor?
Tommy Breheny back?
Or another outside manager?

If Pete McGrath was available I'd be happy for him to come in. We have some very promising players coming in now, O'Kelly Lynch had a brilliant game yesterday and with the likes of Cawley, O'Connor, Cummins, Breheny, McDonnell, Murphy etc there are some reasons to be a bit more optimistic in the future.

I'm glad you've finally seen what lots of us have seen for a long, long time now. Good for you.

You whole post was excellent. It has just got so depressing and predictable. Meath were awful and we should have been able to beat them which would be something for us to build on. Hopefully Carew is jettisoned but I've said that at this time the last few years and he has been retained. He's not the only problem but I dare say he's the easiest and most cost effective to fix. The annoyance is in that like all the other Sligo voters I think we're getting the makings of a decent side together and underperforming.

I'd be awful tempted to put in O'Hara or Taylor. Don't think either would be worried about making the hard decisions required and could mix the hard disciplinarian with the oft required hand around the shoulder. They're not managing long but I really think we need a Sligo man back at the helm, taking responsibility.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on July 03, 2017, 01:31:26 PM
I dont understand Sligo
They turned on Kevin Walsh in the name of excellence ,including a rant for the ages by Eamon O Hara. And replaced him withCarew. Who is mediocre at best. Would O'Hara take over now for the excellence?

Do ye think Walsh is the messiah down there in Galway. I wouldn't be so sure. After all he was at the helm when Tipp blasted ye last year. I've a suspicion Ros will win at the weekend.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Itchy on July 03, 2017, 10:41:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 03, 2017, 01:31:26 PM
I dont understand Sligo
They turned on Kevin Walsh in the name of excellence ,including a rant for the ages by Eamon O Hara. And replaced him withCarew. Who is mediocre at best. Would O'Hara take over now for the excellence?

Do ye think Walsh is the messiah down there in Galway. I wouldn't be so sure. After all he was at the helm when Tipp blasted ye last year. I've a suspicion Ros will win at the weekend.

Yeah. Mayo were woeful and Galway struggled to get by them. Walsh is not a good manager. I was proud of O'Hara for calling out the shite that was going on.

Seafoid - should we not aspire to great things because we haven't won lots in the past? Walsh was a great, great player but he was not doing a good job at that time in Sligo.....in fact for most of his time.