Best/Most Disappointing Places You Have Visited

Started by Canalman, June 20, 2008, 12:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Best - Dingle Peninsula, Aran islands, Achill

Worst - can't say  I've been really disappointed anywhere on holiday  although  giants causeway is very underwhelming

Taylor

Best - LA, Vegas, Florida, Newcastle (geordies), Dallas, Adeje

Worst - Dublin, Belfast, Boston, San Fran, Strangford Aquarium, Dundalk

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on September 30, 2022, 04:11:57 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on September 30, 2022, 03:59:46 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 30, 2022, 02:58:17 PM
Best :
Kyoto, Japan
Beirut, Lebanon
Gougane Barra

Worst :
Portadown
Strabane
Delhi, India

I'll see your Portadown and raise you Kilkeel

Who goes out of their way to visit Portadown or Kilkeel?

That's like me saying to the wife, "lets take the kids to Larne for the day"....
You are missing out on Carnfunnock.

tbrick18

Best - Brussels, Copenhagen, Prague, Vegas, Chicago, Achill, Galway (though havent been in years), Lisbon, Derry

Worst - Westport, Donegal (I just dont get it), Portadown, Moygashel, Paris, Hamburg, Salou, Giant's Causeway

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on September 30, 2022, 04:11:57 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on September 30, 2022, 03:59:46 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 30, 2022, 02:58:17 PM
Best :
Kyoto, Japan
Beirut, Lebanon
Gougane Barra

Worst :
Portadown
Strabane
Delhi, India

I'll see your Portadown and raise you Kilkeel

Who goes out of their way to visit Portadown or Kilkeel?

That's like me saying to the wife, "lets take the kids to Larne for the day"....
I wanted to see the Garvaghy Road. It was late 90s.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thewobbler

For golf trips:

Best: Downings, Sligo town, Quinta Do Lago.

Worst: em, no. Maybe Druids Glen as the hotel is in the middle of nowhere and it's v expensive for booze. But it's still better than being at home! Maybe Ayr as it's a shithole but the courses are good.

J70

Best: Canadian Rockies (Banff, Yoho etc. - most spectacular scenery I've ever seen), Liverpool, Glacier National Park, Kauai, Adirondacks, Hudson Valley, Columbia River Gorge

Worst: Blarney (what a waste of time!), town of Lake George NY (like a MAGA version of Bundoran), Ellis Island (years ago, but I just found the whole lay out and presentation underwhelming).

gawa316

Best - Achill, Rossnowlagh, Morro Bay, San Diego, Kauai

Worst - LA on the whole isn't a great place but lots great stuff still to do. Went to a USC Notre Dame game which was unbelievable. Brought the kids to Universal in July and had a great day. San Fran I would say the same..lots of great things to like the zoo and the academy of science but so much homelessness and activities that go with that, puts you off bringing the kids

Eamonnca1

Best:
Paris. Could not get enough of the place.
Manhattan
Vancouver
Chicago
Santa Cruz, California
Capitola, California (we go there regularly with the children. Very handy little beach with everything you need close at hand)
St Petersburg (it was called Leningrad then)
Moscow

Worst:
Orlando, Florida
Rural Texas

Underwhelming:
Glencar Waterfall. A short walk from the road and there it is, a miniature waterfall. I though, "is that it?!"

AustinPowers

@Eamonnca1

Glencar is a  great wee spot.  Always make a point of  stopping there  when down that way  .  Good cafe and good spot to stretch the legs

There's another taller  waterfall nearby too , but haven't been to it yet . Will do that next  time we stop

gawa316

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 30, 2022, 06:16:23 PM
Best:
Manhattan
Vancouver
Chicago
Santa Cruz, California
Capitola, California (we go there regularly with the children. Very handy little beach with everything you need close at hand)
Moscow

Worst:
Orlando, Florida
Rural Texas

Underwhelming:
Glencar Waterfall. A short walk from the road and there it is, a miniature waterfall. I though, "is that it?!"

Great spot...ever go to the Shadowbrook restaurant?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: gawa316 on September 30, 2022, 06:31:26 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 30, 2022, 06:16:23 PM
Best:
Manhattan
Vancouver
Chicago
Santa Cruz, California
Moscow

Worst:
Orlando, Florida
Rural Texas

Underwhelming:

Great spot...ever go to the Shadowbrook restaurant?

No but it looks good. Must try it out, thanks for the tip. We tend to get fish n chips at the Britannia Arms which is right there at the beach, or tacos from one of the Mexican eating houses nearby.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: gawa316 on September 30, 2022, 05:49:49 PM
Best - Achill, Rossnowlagh, Morro Bay, San Diego, Kauai

Worst - LA on the whole isn't a great place but lots great stuff still to do. Went to a USC Notre Dame game which was unbelievable. Brought the kids to Universal in July and had a great day. San Fran I would say the same..lots of great things to like the zoo and the academy of science but so much homelessness and activities that go with that, puts you off bringing the kids

Ever go to Long Beach? I quite liked it. The Queen Mary is worth visiting if you're into old art deco and history stuff. Santa Monica's another nice spot, I quite liked that.

Substandard

Best: Paris, Munich- loads to see and do, beautiful architecture and so much history.  The school tours are great that way- left to my own devices, I wouldn't either find or be organised enough to see a fraction of the itinerary.  Honorable mention to Salzburg- a beautiful city with a statue of a Laois man outside the cathedral as one of the founders.
Worst: the Mona Lisa.  Was expecting something the size of the gable of the house, instead an A4 page with about 10 million Japanese tourists in front of me.
Such a letdown!!!

imtommygunn

I thought LA was a letdown too.

Best in terms of expectations I ever visited was a place called kotor in Montenegro. No expectations but as beautiful a place as you'd see. Spectacular. I know it's hyped but Rome is phenomenal to visit.