Quinn Insurance in Administration

Started by An Gaeilgoir, March 30, 2010, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: WT4E on December 01, 2022, 10:06:16 AM
Don't know who to blame in this one however the attack on Kevin Lunney is strange.

Surely Quinns would have known this was a step too far and would not benefit them? And as the programme confirms Dublin Jimmy could only have done this for money.

So who paid him? People assume Quinns but who did this attack benefit? It put an end to Quinn support so would there not be a theory that the attack could have been organised by someone on Lunney etc als side?

The priest speech at mass also was a bit much IMO hanging a man who had not been been proved guilty.... a bit unchristian

Ps I'm not a quinn supporter

The show played the video of the lunney attack in the petrol station. Seems strange considering that was nothing to do with Quinn's. That was a personal fued between the lunneys and the McGoverns that has been running a long time. Screams of grasping at straws to try and connect the two. It wasn't just the Quinn's who disliked the lunneys in Fermanagh.

I see Dukes is getting a bad touch on twitter for his comments.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

armaghniac

Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 01, 2022, 10:41:53 AM

Dukes on RTÉ radio now, getting a hard time.for his comments.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

manfromdelmonte

The priest had a garda armed support unit on patrol in the area for a long time after that sermon

upmonaghansayswe

I got lost on the shares and CFDs.

Was he buying CFDs and shares at the same time? I thought the programme said it was cfds and that's why he called in on the marginal thingy.. and as opposed to just losing value he had to pay up as the price fell as it was a bet/gamble. Who were the brokers for actually buying shares then?.

Main Street

Don't know who to blame in this one however the attack on Kevin Lunney is strange.

Surely Quinns would have known this was a step too far and would not benefit them? And as the programme confirms Dublin Jimmy could only have done this for money.

So who paid him? People assume Quinns but who did this attack benefit? It put an end to Quinn support so would there not be a theory that the attack could have been organised by someone on Lunney etc als side?

The priest speech at mass also was a bit much IMO hanging a man who had not been been proved guilty.... a bit unchristian

The show played the video of the lunney attack in the petrol station. Seems strange considering that was nothing to do with Quinn's. That was a personal fued between the lunneys and the McGoverns that has been running a long time. Screams of grasping at straws to try and connect the two. It wasn't just the Quinn's who disliked the lunneys in Fermanagh.

Why do you claim its 'grasping at straws' to connect Quinn to Lunney?  Just because someone else allegedly did not like Quinn, does not mean they would be more motivated, both financially  and vindictively  to do in Lunney .  Quinn is the outstanding character according to the  Occam's razor principle and on the sidelines,  the priest is the privilege holder of a million secrets :)

Quinns quoted comments about Lunney are bizzare.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Main Street on December 01, 2022, 10:11:41 PM

Why do you claim its 'grasping at straws' to connect Quinn to Lunney?  Just because someone else allegedly did not like Quinn, does not mean they would be more motivated, both financially  and vindictively  to do in Lunney .  Quinn is the outstanding character according to the  Occam's razor principle and on the sidelines,  the priest is the privilege holder of a million secrets :)

Quinns quoted comments about Lunney are bizzare.

Because the fight in the petrol station had zero to do with the rest of programme. It wasn't about intimidation or the Quinns. So its inclusion was an irrelevance. That incident was about a family feud in Kinawley. So it smacked of trying to add more in to suit an agenda.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Itchy

Maybe the auld priest should tell us who the paymaster is. Sure he knows and I presume he got that direct from God. And isn't it great to see a priest throwing out the accusations from the pulpit, just like old times

A few on here know for certain who it is too and be God 12 months ago the paymaster arrest was only days away. Assume this was held off to wait for the show.

Anyway, it seems we are only violent thugs in the border area too. So I suppose civilised people like Alan Dukes and the suits were right never to invest in our area and leave it to crazy murderous thugs like Sean Quinn to do it for us.

haranguerer

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 01, 2022, 07:15:44 PM
The priest had a garda armed support unit on patrol in the area for a long time after that sermon

The priest is a complete arsehole. The threat he mentioned was a friendly 'watch yourself' in closing an amicable phone call with a respected journalist who was astounded when he realised the priest had relayed it to other media as a threat.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on December 01, 2022, 10:35:42 PM
Maybe the auld priest should tell us who the paymaster is. Sure he knows and I presume he got that direct from God. And isn't it great to see a priest throwing out the accusations from the pulpit, just like old times

A few on here know for certain who it is too and be God 12 months ago the paymaster arrest was only days away. Assume this was held off to wait for the show.

Anyway, it seems we are only violent thugs in the border area too. So I suppose civilised people like Alan Dukes and the suits were right never to invest in our area and leave it to crazy murderous thugs like Sean Quinn to do it for us.
Says a lot more about Dukes than it does about border people. Ironic too that the attack was actually organised and carried out by 4 persons not from the border area. Few people on the programme seemed intent on painting people from the border regions as paranoid with chips on their shoulders about neglect, then Dukes turns around and confirms that prejudice with his comments. Ironic and laughable.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 02, 2022, 02:04:11 PM

Says a lot more about Dukes than it does about border people. Ironic too that the attack was actually organised and carried out by 4 persons not from the border area. Few people on the programme seemed intent on painting people from the border regions as paranoid with chips on their shoulders about neglect, then Dukes turns around and confirms that prejudice with his comments. Ironic and laughable.

Well apart from Cyril McGuinness who actually orchestrated the whole thing!!

Look-Up!

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on December 02, 2022, 02:27:53 PM

Who? Dublin Jimmy?

Franko

Quote from: Look-Up! on December 02, 2022, 02:37:18 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on December 02, 2022, 02:27:53 PM

Who? Dublin Jimmy?

;D

smelmoth

Quote from: Itchy on November 30, 2022, 03:10:44 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 30, 2022, 02:00:03 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 30, 2022, 01:28:19 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 30, 2022, 01:11:04 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 30, 2022, 09:28:56 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on November 30, 2022, 09:24:34 AM
The 1.65bn is what they are saying it 'could' rise to - which Noonan himself thought that was dodgy going by that article - I meant though what 2% on each insurance premium comes to over 10 years. I would have thought even those estimates would be rightly covered by now

Yeah I agree with you. The 2% levy is bound to have covered the loss at this point.

Any numbers?

June 21

However, since 2010 the amount collected under these specific stamp duties is c.€1.6 billion
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-06-02/98/#pq-answers-98

If I was you I would read that article again.It differentiates between the levy and the stamp duty. You appear to be extracting an answer about the stamp duty to provide information about the levy.

Quinn's lasting gift to Irish society is the levy. The stamp duty is a separate debate

He also left another gift, 1000s of jobs still in place in the Cavan/Fermanagh area, 100's of families able to put bread on the table and put their kids through school and not have to emigrate or move away to cities. I accept he made a massive mistake and we must all pay for it now but you also need to accept the good that he did too in an area all but abandoned by governments north and south.

This is partially true. The jobs in insurance and the hotel were brought to the area. The gravel/sand jobs were always going to be where sand and gravel where. And the glass jobs where always going to be where the raw material was. Someone was always going to extract it and create those jobs. Quinn had head start but I absolutely give him credit for growing it.

I wouldn't have a misty eyed view of how workers where treated. Some treated very well. Others not so.

smelmoth

Quote from: trailer on November 30, 2022, 03:43:35 PM
The 1.65bn is what they are saying it 'could' rise to - which Noonan himself thought that was dodgy going by that article - I meant though what 2% on each insurance premium comes to over 10 years. I would have thought even those estimates would be rightly covered by now

Yeah I agree with you. The 2% levy is bound to have covered the loss at this point.

Any numbers?

June 21

However, since 2010 the amount collected under these specific stamp duties is c.€1.6 billion

If I was you I would read that article again.It differentiates between the levy and the stamp duty. You appear to be extracting an answer about the stamp duty to provide information about the levy.

Quinn's lasting gift to Irish society is the levy. The stamp duty is a separate debate

Even if this is the case why would the levy have to cover his losses. The economy has recovered beyond expectations and money could easily be taken from a greater tax take to cover this. It is the Irish peoples money after all. The government just chose to burden the people with this levy.

There is no "even if this is the case" about it. Just reread the article you quote and you will see it is the case.

As for the wider point it's just democracy. Rather than taking the Sean Quinn levy from Irish people depending on whether they need insurance it would be better to take the Sean Quinn levy from Irish people via general taxation based on their ability to pay. Either way the money will continue to have to be raised.

smelmoth

Quote from: Franko on November 30, 2022, 04:24:28 PM

Any numbers?

June 21

Usual debate here - evidenced by ridiculous lines such as that in bold

We have the great chattering masses who have aligned themselves firmly in 2 camps

They either believe that:

a. Sean Quinn was a criminal mastermind and a thief
b. Sean Quinn was akin to God himself

The truth, as ever, is somewhere in between

This is genuinely hilarious.

The line that you label "ridiculous" happens to be true.

But the really hilarious bit is the accusation that contributors fall into your categories a) or b). Surely you are a spectacular example of the debate suffering from ridiculous lines.

I don't I think I have every seen a contribution that so rapidly commits the offence they have just called out.

Hilarious stuff