Author Topic: The Many Faces of US Politics...  (Read 1909347 times)

whitey

• View Profile
Re: The Many Faces of US Politics...
« Reply #23400 on: September 22, 2022, 04:26:34 PM »
Did the actual AG not complete a fairly exhaustive look into the Clinton Foundation only to find nothing?

Surely the State AG has found something on Trump and is bringing it to court??

Is there a huge difference?

So following that logic a local state (Republican) AG should now reopen that investigation and pursue civil charges (interesting)

Why would the investigation be reopened if it didn't find anything?

From my reading of it James has been investigating this for 3 years and is bringing charges based on what has been found?

My understanding is that the ďactualĒ AG conducted a criminal investigation and found nothing

A civil case has a much lower threshold

Itís all very complicated

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:28:30 PM by whitey »

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #23401 on: September 22, 2022, 05:13:24 PM »
One question I have is how did he pull this off?

Banks have governance boards, outside auditors, state regulators and a plethora of other entities that review and assess their lending activities

So either they were all in cahoots with him, they were outrageously incompetent or Trump is the biggest genius if the history of the world

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #23402 on: September 22, 2022, 05:37:11 PM »

Banks have governance boards, outside auditors, state regulators and a plethora of other entities that review and assess their lending activities

So either they were all in cahoots with him, they were outrageously incompetent or Trump is the biggest genius if the history of the world

He has been corrupt all his life. Heís used to not paying people or his taxes. These things usually catch up with people if you wait long enough. He should have been in jail decades ago but itíll be good to see him held to account eventually.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #23403 on: September 22, 2022, 05:44:30 PM »

He has been corrupt all his life. Heís used to not paying people or his taxes. These things usually catch up with people if you wait long enough. He should have been in jail decades ago but itíll be good to see him held to account eventually.

Thatís not what Iím asking

Letís say you go to trade in a car and you tell the dealer, itís a 2018 model with 25K miles on the clock when in fact itís a 2008 with 250K miles on the clock.

How many times could you pull off that scam? Maybe once if you had someone working with you on the inside

Theyíre essentially alleging that he pulled this off repeatedly, over several decades at numerous financial institutions (that are subject to all types of regulatory scrutiny by a plethora of federal and state agencies and auditors)

Doesnít make any sense (to me)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 05:48:02 PM by whitey »

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #23404 on: September 22, 2022, 06:39:12 PM »
white collar crime is a new one on me too  ;D

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #23405 on: September 22, 2022, 06:59:48 PM »
white collar crime is a new one on me too  ;D

Itís a civil case not a criminal case so that makes sense

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #23406 on: September 22, 2022, 07:02:01 PM »
I would think that if there is legitimate cause to investigate as there is with Trump, then it should be done, regardless of who it is.

Correct

But did she target him because he did wrong or did she target him because of who he is

He is far from the biggest real estate developer in NY

Has she investigated others for similar fraud or is this a one off

Is this is a one off, that should terrify everyone-R or D, that an attorney general can weaponize their office to target political foes

Weaponize??

Again, youíre ignoring the fact that all of the info leading to this was being highly publicized due to inner circle/fixer testimony before Congress and the disavowal of years of finance information by his accountants. Are the authorities in NY just supposed to ignore it? Were any of these other real estate moguls fixing the books like Trump was alleged to be doing? Do you have evidence that the NY AGís office letís such practices slide?

I voted for James fully aware that if she won she would do her job and hold Trump to account where she was able. The GOP certainly wasnít going to and still is a full accessory to his corruption and undermining of democracy.

Itís amazing how you downplay everything Trump and the GOP do, yet lose it over a Democratic state AG just doing her job.

US politics is partisan and has been for decades. If youíve skeletons in your closet, either donít run or else hire some good lawyers because the opposition are going to sniff it out and investigate.

If Trump ends up losing his NY privileges Iím sure the people of Florida will welcome his corruption and stiffing of small businessmen to their state.

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #23407 on: September 22, 2022, 07:04:31 PM »

Thatís not what Iím asking

Letís say you go to trade in a car and you tell the dealer, itís a 2018 model with 25K miles on the clock when in fact itís a 2008 with 250K miles on the clock.

How many times could you pull off that scam? Maybe once if you had someone working with you on the inside

Theyíre essentially alleging that he pulled this off repeatedly, over several decades at numerous financial institutions (that are subject to all types of regulatory scrutiny by a plethora of federal and state agencies and auditors)

Doesnít make any sense (to me)

Agency oversight isnít always all itís cracked up to be.

NYC Dept of Buildings and cranes, Bernie Madoff, oil industry, 2008 crisisÖ

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #23408 on: September 22, 2022, 07:18:02 PM »
Itís not just one ďagencyĒ overseeing these banks

Thereís layer after layer of oversight from federal state and local entities not to mention internal and external auditors.

Makes absolutely no sense that if what he did was fraudulent that it no one ever caught it

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #23409 on: September 22, 2022, 07:23:06 PM »

Thereís layer after layer of oversight from federal state and local entities not to mention internal and external auditors.

Makes absolutely no sense that if what he did was fraudulent that it no one ever caught it

white collar crime

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #23410 on: September 22, 2022, 07:31:46 PM »
I would think that if there is legitimate cause to investigate as there is with Trump, then it should be done, regardless of who it is.

Correct

But did she target him because he did wrong or did she target him because of who he is

He is far from the biggest real estate developer in NY

Has she investigated others for similar fraud or is this a one off

Is this is a one off, that should terrify everyone-R or D, that an attorney general can weaponize their office to target political foes

Weaponize??

Again, youíre ignoring the fact that all of the info leading to this was being highly publicized due to inner circle/fixer testimony before Congress and the disavowal of years of finance information by his accountants. Are the authorities in NY just supposed to ignore it? Were any of these other real estate moguls fixing the books like Trump was alleged to be doing? Do you have evidence that the NY AGís office letís such practices slide?

I voted for James fully aware that if she won she would do her job and hold Trump to account where she was able. The GOP certainly wasnít going to and still is a full accessory to his corruption and undermining of democracy.

Itís amazing how you downplay everything Trump and the GOP do, yet lose it over a Democratic state AG just doing her job.

US politics is partisan and has been for decades. If youíve skeletons in your closet, either donít run or else hire some good lawyers because the opposition are going to sniff it out and investigate.

If Trump ends up losing his NY privileges Iím sure the people of Florida will welcome his corruption and stiffing of small businessmen to their state.

Iím downplaying nothing

If he broke the law he should be prosecuted

But you (and the AG) make it sound like Trump just submitted the inflated valuations and that these valuations are just accepted on face value and that is fraud. Thatís simply untrue

Same thing with the low ball valuations he submitted for property tax purposes-the assessors dont just accept Trumps valuations as gospel. He had/has brass balls to pull off what they claim he did, but my God, what weíre the assessors doing accepting these valuations?

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #23411 on: September 22, 2022, 07:34:57 PM »

white collar crime

By the Banks and regulators?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 07:40:36 PM by whitey »

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #23412 on: September 22, 2022, 07:45:36 PM »
by individuals in banks and potentially regulators... but my point is even with auditors, regulators etc. fraud and while collar crime exist and can unnoticed for years or never discovered... 

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #23413 on: September 22, 2022, 07:47:03 PM »
by individuals in banks and potentially regulators... but my point is even with auditors, regulators etc. fraud and while collar crime exist and can unnoticed for years or never discovered...

If you read about fraud cases that have gone to court theyíve generally taken place over years and often decades.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #23414 on: September 22, 2022, 07:51:33 PM »

True-but this isnít a criminal case-itís a civil case

He would have needed a lot of people in a lots of different positions over many time periods to be turning a blind eye