The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: J70 on September 22, 2022, 09:23:28 AM
I would think that if there is legitimate cause to investigate as there is with Trump, then it should be done, regardless of who it is.

It's clearer than EVER now that Trump's 4 years in office wasn't a presidency, it was a crime spree orchestrated by a lifelong conman and enabled by nearly the entire Republican Party. Once Trump is thrown in prison, every single Republican coconspirator must be held accountable.

whitey

I would think that if there is legitimate cause to investigate as there is with Trump, then it should be done, regardless of who it is.

Correct

But did she target him because he did wrong or did she target him because of who he is

He is far from the biggest real estate developer in NY

Has she investigated others for similar fraud or is this a one off

Is this is a one off, that should terrify everyone-R or D, that an attorney general can weaponize their office to target political foes

Gmac

Quote from: whitey on September 22, 2022, 12:08:13 PM

Correct

But did she target him because he did wrong or did she target him because of who he is

Is this is a one off, that should terrify everyone-R or D, that an attorney general can weaponize their office to target political foes
she's on tape before she was elected saying we need to get rid of this illegitimate president
Denying a democratically elected president is grounds for a prison term under current administration

screenexile

Correct

Does it matter? Surely the evidence will decide if he's done wrong.

How many times was Hillary investigated and then cleared due to political motivation? The GOP have made a rod for their own back with this kind of behaviour!

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on September 22, 2022, 03:24:53 PM

Correct

Does it matter? Surely the evidence will decide if he's done wrong.

How many times was Hillary investigated and then cleared due to political motivation? The GOP have made a rod for their own back with this kind of behaviour!

Jntereteing

How many state AGs brought civil cases against Hillary?

screenexile

Did the actual AG not complete a fairly exhaustive look into the Clinton Foundation only to find nothing?

Surely the State AG has found something on Trump and is bringing it to court??

Is there a huge difference?

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on September 22, 2022, 04:04:53 PM
Did the actual AG not complete a fairly exhaustive look into the Clinton Foundation only to find nothing?

So following this logic a local state (Republican) AG should now reopen that investigation, and pursue civil charges against the Clinton's  (interesting)

screenexile

Quote from: whitey on September 22, 2022, 04:08:08 PM

So following that logic a local state (Republican) AG should now reopen that investigation and pursue civil charges (interesting)

Why would the investigation be reopened if it didn't find anything?

From my reading of it James has been investigating this for 3 years and is bringing charges based on what has been found?

whitey

Quote from: screenexile on September 22, 2022, 04:19:59 PM
Quote from: whitey on September 22, 2022, 04:08:08 PM

So following that logic a local state (Republican) AG should now reopen that investigation and pursue civil charges (interesting)

Why would the investigation be reopened if it didn't find anything?

From my reading of it James has been investigating this for 3 years and is bringing charges based on what has been found?

My understanding is that the "actual" AG conducted a criminal investigation and found nothing

A civil case has a much lower threshold

It's all very complicated

whitey

One question I have is how did he pull this off?

Banks have governance boards, outside auditors, state regulators and a plethora of other entities that review and assess their lending activities

So either they were all in cahoots with him, they were outrageously incompetent or Trump is the biggest genius if the history of the world

lenny

Quote from: whitey on September 22, 2022, 05:13:24 PM

Banks have governance boards, outside auditors, state regulators and a plethora of other entities that review and assess their lending activities

So either they were all in cahoots with him, they were outrageously incompetent or Trump is the biggest genius if the history of the world

He has been corrupt all his life. He's used to not paying people or his taxes. These things usually catch up with people if you wait long enough. He should have been in jail decades ago but it'll be good to see him held to account eventually.

whitey

Quote from: lenny on September 22, 2022, 05:37:11 PM
Quote from: whitey on September 22, 2022, 05:13:24 PM

He has been corrupt all his life. He's used to not paying people or his taxes. These things usually catch up with people if you wait long enough. He should have been in jail decades ago but it'll be good to see him held to account eventually.

That's not what I'm asking

Let's say you go to trade in a car and you tell the dealer, it's a 2018 model with 25K miles on the clock when in fact it's a 2008 with 250K miles on the clock.

How many times could you pull off that scam? Maybe once if you had someone working with you on the inside

They're essentially alleging that he pulled this off repeatedly, over several decades at numerous financial institutions (that are subject to all types of regulatory scrutiny by a plethora of federal and state agencies and auditors)

Doesn't make any sense (to me)

PadraicHenryPearse

white collar crime is a new one on me too  ;D

whitey

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on September 22, 2022, 06:39:12 PM
white collar crime is a new one on me too  ;D

It's a civil case not a criminal case so that makes sense

J70

Correct

Weaponize??

Again, you're ignoring the fact that all of the info leading to this was being highly publicized due to inner circle/fixer testimony before Congress and the disavowal of years of finance information by his accountants. Are the authorities in NY just supposed to ignore it? Were any of these other real estate moguls fixing the books like Trump was alleged to be doing? Do you have evidence that the NY AG's office let's such practices slide?

I voted for James fully aware that if she won she would do her job and hold Trump to account where she was able. The GOP certainly wasn't going to and still is a full accessory to his corruption and undermining of democracy.

It's amazing how you downplay everything Trump and the GOP do, yet lose it over a Democratic state AG just doing her job.

US politics is partisan and has been for decades. If you've skeletons in your closet, either don't run or else hire some good lawyers because the opposition are going to sniff it out and investigate.

If Trump ends up losing his NY privileges I'm sure the people of Florida will welcome his corruption and stiffing of small businessmen to their state.