Doíre -v- Ciarraí, Baile Eachaidh, 08.03.2009

Started by screenexile, February 16, 2009, 01:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

3 Weeks is a long time to wait for this one I am massively looking forward to it at this stage. As I mentioned in the other thread it's a good top of the table clash between two teams hitting a bit of form. I suspect Kerry are futher along in their development than we are as we have a new manager in place but I would still expect us to put up a good performance against them on our home patch regardless.

Anyone have an idea who we will get to mark Walsh?!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: screenexile on February 16, 2009, 01:07:46 PM
3 Weeks is a long time to wait for this one I am massively looking forward to it at this stage. As I mentioned in the other thread it's a good top of the table clash between two teams hitting a bit of form. I suspect Kerry are futher along in their development than we are as we have a new manager in place but I would still expect us to put up a good performance against them on our home patch regardless.

Anyone have an idea who we will get to mark Walsh?!

hows that cruciate coming on !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

screenexile

Well I'm hoping to get the all clear to play this time next week. McConnell knows the craic anyway and he has my number if he needs me ;)

Estimator

Quote from: screenexile on February 16, 2009, 01:21:15 PM
Well I'm hoping to get the all clear to play this time next week. McConnell knows the craic anyway and he has my number if he needs me ;)

Sure McConnell will get in for free with the team, why else would he need ye :P
Ulster League Champions 2009

Oakleafer1993

Derry Sink Lakemen
It was Valentine's weekend and following a 14-point victory over Westmeath at Ballinascreen yesterday, the Derry players were certainly feeling the love. They entered the dressing-room at both half-time and full-time with heavy applause ringing in their ears. There was no doubt, the Oakleaf following liked what they saw.

And rightly so; because this was an excellent Derry performance. We'll not rush to package things up and place it in a box labelled 'Perfect', and God knows, February is not even close to being the time for waxing lyrical over a team's performance, but Derry are certainly on the right track. Oakleaf manager Damian Cassidy described the win as "encouraging", and this is probably the correct view to take after only the second league game.

The spread of scorers was a particularly pleasing facet of the Derry performance. Eight separate scorers overall. The full-forward line did all that was asked of them. Eoin Bradley led the line well, with himself and Paul Bradley both notching five points. Eoghan Brown's hard-working performance was rewarded when he grabbed the game's only goal. The industrious wing forward duo of Brian Mullan and Enda Lynn both got their names on the scoresheet. Lynn totalled three points and is proving extremely effective as a runner from deep, while Brian Mullan showed constantly to help Derry quickly release possession from defence. Paul Carton and Gerard O'Kane (two points) also added scores from their defensive positions. Put simply, Derry were not relying on one or two men to win a game.

The majority of Derry's scores came from close range. This is something Tyrone have perfected in recent times, and the 30 yard radius in front of goal was a hotbed of activity for Derry throughout yesterday's match. This is a clear part of Derry's new system of play; with the full-forward line leaving space for the half-forwards and attacking half-backs (who, at times, attacked in droves). Sounds simple enough, but the players must show the energy and intelligence to carry it out effectively.

A major talking point before the game was the inclusion of Barry McGoldrick at centre half back. The Coleraine man was outstanding yesterday in what has been a problem position for Derry in recent seasons. He made some telling interceptions, showed power and poise on the ball, and displayed his excellent range of distribution. He will be tried at centre-back again, when other sides may display more attacking intent, pushing him onto the back-foot and asking questions of his defensive abilities; but if yesterday's showing is an indicator, he has the potential to make this berth his own.

In praising Derry though, we must judge the performance against that of their opponents. Westmeath are a tough resilient outfit, but they effectively collapsed in the second period yesterday after putting it up to Derry in the first-half. Denis Glennon was their key threat, scoring three classy points, but his move out the field in the second-half symbolised the problems the Lakemen were experiencing. And it did little to ameliorate them. Derry continued to dominate possession and were able to match this with some clinical score-taking during a final quarter that resembled a training match.

Damian Cassidy will be content with the performance, but Derry's next outing won't resemble a training match. Kerry will be in town. They've had an impressive enough NFL start themselves, and after last year's Final they have a score to settle. That game might provide a more accurate reflection of how far Derry have really progressed so far this season.

DERRY: B Gillis; B Óg McAlary, S M Lockhart, G O'Kane (0-2); P Carton (0-1), B McGoldrick, C McKaigue; F Doherty, J Diver; E Lynn (0-3), J Kielt, B Mullan (0-1); E Brown (1-0), E Bradley (0-5), Paul Bradley (0-5, three frees). Subs: Paddy Bradley (0-1) for Kielt (43 mins), Patsy Bradley for Diver (49 mins), S L McGoldrick for Lynn (56 mins), Paul Young for Brown (59 mins), K McGuckin for B McGoldrick (62 mins, blood sub)

wherefromreferee?

Screen, I doubt the thread title will have to be changed - heard the game is definitely in Bellaghy,

Anyone know why?
In your Endo!

rrhf

tonesfirstandlast

In praising Derry though, we must judge the performance against that of their opponents. Westmeath are a tough resilient outfit, but they effectively collapsed in the second period yesterday after putting it up to Derry in the first-half. Denis Glennon was their key threat, scoring three classy points, but his move out the field in the second-half symbolised the problems the Lakemen were experiencing. And it did little to ameliorate them. Derry continued to dominate possession and were able to match this with some clinical score-taking during a final quarter that resembled a training match.

What the f### is that-- sounds painful!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on February 24, 2009, 07:50:24 AM
Screen, I doubt the thread title will have to be changed - heard the game is definitely in Bellaghy,

Anyone know why?

not confirmed AFAIK.
its been applied for because its not officially a county ground. so after screenexile and his mates go to the DRA and Fergal Logan, crying and givig off, it could end up in the screen yet  ;D
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

cville

Surely Casement Park would be a good option here? ,,  :(

Tyrone Dreamer

Some very good games in the 1st week of the league after the break. This is certainly one of them and could have a bearing on who makes the national league final. Derry have had 2 excellent results with understrength teams and Cassidy has had made a good start. This is a much bigger test though and will be very interesting to see how the new players cope.

Will Paddy Bradley be back starting? Derry seem to do well in the league when he's not starting which is strange. Should be a decent crowd and you'd have to expect a high quality game. Hard to look past Kerry though who may even give Kennelly his senior debut and the possibility of Donaghy and Dara O'Se being back in the panel. They look strong for this time of year and it will be tough for Derry with a few inexperienced players on.

orangeman

The Screen chairman is complaining bitterly about the decision of the Derry CB to move the Kerry match to Bellaghy AT THE REQUEST OF THE DERRY TEAM MANAGER DAMIAN CASSIDY.

Apparently Cassidy asked for the match to be changed to Bellaghy which isn't a county ground and this has left the Screen men livid.

Their Screen chairman is quoted as saying that it's no business of the team manager where the match should be played.

Incidentally Bellaghy is the home club of the Derry County board chairman, Mr. Mc Cloy.  ;)

Kentucky Blue

some fascinating tussles in prospect for the derry v kerry game.
massive task for derry but with home advantage they could get something from the game.

I think lockhart may be tasked with putting the shackles on the gooch.
but then that leaves walsh!  :o too many good kerry forwards to try and curtail with particular man marking jobs.

Barry McGoldrick could not afford not to go man til man against kerry like he did against westmeath to great affect. Declan O'Sullivan would run riot if not followed with his direct running game. Kerry captain Darren O'Sullivan who i think might be the quickest on the inter county scene would take some watching too, made all the more difficult with the yellow card rule!  :P

Paddy Bradley may get the nod up front along with Eoin. They will hold no fears of the kerry defence.
if any of the fringe players can deliver a good performance they can go a long way as to cementing a permanent position in the team. Big challenge but big opportunity!

Joel Cairo

From today's Irish News:
----

Anger over Derry-Kerry venue switch (Paddy Heaney)

THE Derry County Board's decision to switch the NFL game against Kerry to Bellaghy has been heavily criticised by the chairman of St Colm's, Ballinascreen.
Lawrence Cleary's club was expected to host the glamour tie against the Kingdom on Sunday, March 8, but the Derry board has gained clearance from Croke Park to stage the tie in Bellaghy.
Derry chairman Seamus McCloy told The Irish News that the board was simply acting on the behest of team manager Damian Cassidy.
"He [Cassidy] felt that the surface in Ballinascreen was too heavy, and if there was rain, then it would cut up even worse," said McCloy.
"It was the manager's request. The county board passed the decision to move the game to Bellaghy and it was approved by Croke Park last night."
But this explanation has provoked an angry response from Cleary. After his club hosted the game in which Derry annihilated Westmeath, Cleary felt that there was no justification in moving venues.
"We are really disappointed. I can't understand how they can make a decision on a pitch 18 days before the match.
"At the end of the day, Derry beat Westmeath by 14 points and they scored 1-18. I can't see what the problem is.
"We spent a lot money in our preparations for these matches. We put in new fencing and built new dugouts. We are really annoyed about this."
Cleary said his anger was compounded because Bellaghy is not an official county ground. Celtic Park is listed as the main venue in Derry while Ballinascreen and Glen are the two secondary venues.
Both Celtic Park and Glen are unavailable for the game against Kerry due to redevelopment work. Celtic Park will not be completed until the end of the League, while Glen have resurfaced their pitch, although the club is scheduled to stage the home games against Galway and Donegal.
The unavailability of Celtic Park and Glen meant the Derry County Board had to gain approval fromCroke Park before switching the game to Bellaghy. Cleary said he was not convinced that Pairc de Brun is big enough for a bumper attendance.
"I thought these matches had to be played at county grounds. We are a county ground and Bellaghy is not a county ground," he added.
"If there is a big crowd at that game I just can't see how Bellaghy would cope. They don't have the facilities, and they don't have the stewards to steward a match the same way that we did against Westmeath."
Seamus McCloy readily acknowledged that the Ballinascreen club did a fine job against Westmeath, but he didn't think his home club would have any problem housing the crowd.
"We didn't want to take it away from Ballinascreen because it is a great club with great facilities," he added.
"They hosted the game against Westmeath tremendously well. But the pitch isn't good enough.
"And I can't see the crowd being a problem. Kerry will bring nobody. If it was Derry and Tyrone, you would expect a really big crowd. I think we can expect between three and five thousand."
Cleary also hit out at the county board for complying with Damian Cassidy's request to move the game away from Ballinascreen.
"The Derry management team shouldn't be able to dictate to the county board where the matches should be played.
That is not their job."