TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Anyone seen Quarry? Any good?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JimStynes

Finished The Killing last week. Decent show but it did drag on. Potential to be excellent if they had squeezed the storylines into 8 or 10 episodes.

On the second season of Bosch now and I'm enjoying it so far. LA Cop show with a decent storyline and I like the main character, Detective Bosch.  Worth a try.

Designated survivor and Shooter are both ok just.

screenexile

Haven't slept for 3 nights now watching Scandal. I hate that I'd got out of the habit of finding something with a lot of series that would cause me to watch 6 in a row but here we are!

Anyway it's very watchable I'm well into the second series now and it's been very fast paced and interesting so far.

No Offence on again last night is excellent. I'm a big Paul Abbot fan but Joanna Scanlan is a great actress playing a great character. Having seen The Thick of It this is very different but she pulls it off well. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Others I've watched recently:

Dirk Gently - Netflix original it's bonkers as hell but very watchable
Shooter - Very good so far didn't see the film so no idea how it pans out
Designated Survivor - Enjoyable and interesting but something about it stops it from being brilliant. Not convinced of Sutherland as POTUS
The Affair - Am a couple behind now but agree with above that it's moving very slowly. I wasn't a huge fan of the last series but the Wife loves it so I have to watch it
Madam Secretary - I know it's probably not everyone's cup of tea but I like it!
Bojack Horseman - It's brilliant!!
South Park - Losing it's brilliance the last series was poor I thought

Boycey

Quote from: screenexile on January 05, 2017, 11:06:34 AM
Haven't slept for 3 nights now watching Scandal. I hate that I'd got out of the habit of finding something with a lot of series that would cause me to watch 6 in a row but here we are!

Anyway it's very watchable I'm well into the second series now and it's been very fast paced and interesting so far.

No Offence on again last night is excellent. I'm a big Paul Abbot fan but Joanna Scanlan is a great actress playing a great character. Having seen The Thick of It this is very different but she pulls it off well. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Others I've watched recently:

Shooter - Very good so far didn't see the film so no idea how it pans out
Designated Survivor - Enjoyable and interesting but something about it stops it from being brilliant. Not convinced of Sutherland as POTUS
The Affair - Am a couple behind now but agree with above that it's moving very slowly. I wasn't a huge fan of the last series but the Wife loves it so I have to watch it
Madam Secretary - I know it's probably not everyone's cup of tea but I like it!
Bojack Horseman - It's brilliant!!
South Park - Losing it's brilliance the last series was poor I thought

There is nothing like a good binge on a tv series 'just one more and I'll go to bed.......'

No Offence -I only discovered this last night, cant believe I'd not heard of it before looks promising.

Designated Survivor - Gathering pace, I agree about Sutherland but the whole premise of the programme is that hes an unlikely POTUS so I guess hes playing the role perfectly :) . Suspect it'll be around for a while as Netflix have invested a right few quid in it.

The Affair - 6 episodes into series 3 and nothing has happening yet, patience definitely on the wane.

Madam Secretary - Its no West Wing but I quite enjoy it too.

Blindspot - Absolute nonsense but enjoyable.

Westworld - I'm struggling to get into it but because so many of you speak highly of it I'm persevering. Loved the original film!

Downloaded a couple of episodes of something called Conviction last night, its a legal drama, is it any good?

JoG2

Designated Survivor - very enjoyable, though you never know if its on from one week to the next ! Some great cliffhangers and moves a serious pace. It's in the middle of a winter break apparently and won't be back until March

The Affair - just started season 2, decent and as has been said above, it's a couples show as opposed to blitzing a show solo

Westworld - tbh I though it was just alright. Dolores is some 'woman'

Just found out The Man in the High Castle season 2 is up, so I'll give that a whirl...enjoyed the first season

Do any of the rest of you have a minimum imdb score TV show wise ? I'd rarely watch anything below 8

johnneycool

I watched this years ago, but I presume its a different one than that that you are talking about. The one I watched had Stephen Mangan starring and whilst totally off the wall I found it very watchable, alas I must have been in the minority as they didn't run a second series.

Might give this new one a go.

nrico2006

Actually enjoying Shooter even though its a pretty light show.  I persevered with Westworld too and found it good but don't think it deserved the hype.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rois

Quote from: JoG2 on January 05, 2017, 11:48:44 AM
Designated Survivor - very enjoyable, though you never know if its on from one week to the next ! Some great cliffhangers and moves a serious pace. It's in the middle of a winter break apparently and won't be back until March

Watched this over Christmas and really enjoyed it too.  So there will be some more on the way?  I've seen what was on Netflix up until last weekend - from what you've said there won't be any more for a while? 

JoG2

Quote from: Rois on January 05, 2017, 12:07:54 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 05, 2017, 11:48:44 AM

Watched this over Christmas and really enjoyed it too.  So there will be some more on the way?  I've seen what was on Netflix up until last weekend - from what you've said there won't be any more for a while?

8th March according to wiki Rois

5 Sams

Pleasantly surprised by Tommy Tiernan's new show last night. Good interview with Christy Dignam and this wasnt hard to look at either... :D

The Aristocrat Years

Up The Middle

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 06, 2017, 10:33:58 AM
Pleasantly surprised by Tommy Tiernan's new show last night. Good interview with Christy Dignam and this wasnt hard to look at either... :D

Who is that?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

5 Sams

Quote from: Up The Middle on January 06, 2017, 01:57:34 PM

Who is that?

Vogue Williams
The Aristocrat Years

Up The Middle

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 06, 2017, 02:28:57 PM

Who is that?

Vogue Williams

UNREAL
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

laoislad

Quote from: Up The Middle on January 06, 2017, 02:46:30 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on January 06, 2017, 02:28:57 PM

Who is that?

Vogue Williams

UNREAL
Could she boil a pot of spuds though.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

screenexile

Heard Tiernan's show was excellent last night I must watch it.

Went to see the bauld Christy Dignam last week in Vicar Street 'twas some show. UP FINGLAS!!