Micko Poaches neighbours player!

Started by An Gaeilgoir, February 14, 2007, 07:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

It looks like Mick O Dwyer has poached a Carlow player, Tom Walsh. Is there a trend with Mick regarding this issue? ;)

Jack Dempsey

refreshing to see the below. This guy is one the best midfielders in the game.

'Once a Carlow man, always a Carlow man' - Walsh
13 February 2007

Outstanding Carlow midfielder Tommy Walsh has moved to quash reports that he is about to join Mick O'Dwyer's revolution next door in Wicklow.

Rumours suggesting that Walsh is considering jumping ship have been rubbished by the former Railway Cup player.

"I'm not moving to any other club or county," Walsh insisted. It's merely another element of the rumour factory. I'll be back training shortly and playing for Carlow in their next league game.

"I'm a Fenagh man and a Carlow man and that's the way it will always be

An Gaeilgoir

Didnt Wayne Rooney say something similar before he went to Utd. :P

youbetterbelieveit

yep micko's track record speaks for itself.

With Kildare - Brian Lacey (Tipperary), Karl O'Dwyer (Kerry)

With Laois - Billy Sheehan (Kerry), Shane Cooke(Dublin)

Now Wicklow - Tom Walsh (Carlow)

Handball Ace

Have it from an extremely good source that this transfer is going through. We'll have to wait and see.

bombidal

Quote from: Handball Ace on February 14, 2007, 09:50:50 PM
Have it from an extremely good source that this transfer is going through. We'll have to wait and see.

If this happens which I very much doubt it with after what he has said it will be a black day for the gaa. Also Walsh is the best player Carlow have and would probably get into any other team in Ireland. Strong running Midfielder who can field and score.
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

phpearse

RTE seemed to suggest it was a done deal with the Carlow county chairman on the box pleading for Walsh not to make the move saying that he had to come back to Carlow at some stage and that a lot of people would be very unhappy with the move. If it does turn out that he does transfer and if infact Micko had a hand in the move, then shame on O'Dwyer.

Hardy

He was very straightforward about it. He said it was nothing new for Mick O'Dwyer to be poaching players from other counties and listed some of the names above. "His fingerprints are all over this", he said.

I thought it got a bit sinister when he reminded Walsh that he would "have to come back to Carlow some day". It came across as if the reason he gave the interview was so that he could send this message to Tom. It sounded like something from The Sopranos and I had visions of Tom sleeping with the pinkeens in the Barrow. Maybe that's why he changed his mind.

bombidal

Quote from: Hardy on February 15, 2007, 09:35:22 AM
He was very straightforward about it. He said it was nothing new for Mick O'Dwyer to be poaching players from other counties and listed some of the names above. "His fingerprints are all over this", he said.

I thought it got a bit sinister when he reminded Walsh that he would "have to come back to Carlow some day". It came across as if the reason he gave the interview was so that he could send this message to Tom. It sounded like something from The Sopranos and I had visions of Tom sleeping with the pinkeens in the Barrow. Maybe that's why he changed his mind.

Its quiet true though, he would never be able to come home and go into his local. Hopefully he comes out says he has been offered a house and blows this whole thing up in Wicklows face.
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

lynchbhoy

doesn't he have a brother who is also a good player - if Carlow threaten Tom, the brother could walk also...

realredhandfan

Fair play to Tom Walshe I hope he expose the O Dwyer man for what he is.... everything for himself and a danger to the GAA. When are the GAA going to ban this man from management. 

youbetterbelieveit

yep there is two of them, i think they play ruby aswell with bective rangers.

thebandit

If this is true, then there can be little doubt that there is cash of some sort involved >:(

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thebandit on February 15, 2007, 11:07:10 AM
If this is true, then there can be little doubt that there is cash of some sort involved >:(
he's not the first and wont be the last if this is the case...

youbetterbelieveit

Picked this up off the carlow msg board on hoganstand. Looks like his gone.

The transfer papers were handed into Leinster Council in Portlaoise yesterday. Neither Carlow Couunty Board nor Fenagh are lodging an objection it would seem so it's a done deal. If, despite what is reported to have said to the national media on Monday about Fenagh and Carlow being the only teams for him, his latest change of mind mean that, at the moment, he wants to play for them, then we have to accept it, it's an amateur game. although Wicklow clearly did to persuade him to go ahead with the transfer despite his clear public reservations.

However, an issue that is ignored in all of this is the FACT that he is blatently inelgible to transfer to any club in Wicklow, be that Bray Emmets or Eire Og Greystones. To provide a Wicklow address on a transfer form is one thing but, in FACT, he lives in Dublin which makes such a move illegal but it seems that nobody cares about such detail because a blind eye can be turned if to play for Wicklow is what the player indicates he wants to do on a transfer form. If, as some on this and the Wicklow site have suggested, he is about to move to Wicklow some time in the near future, then the transfer request can only be valid after he has made such a move, but not now or anythime before he resides in that county. The reason I have such a problem with all this is because the approach was made to Walshe, and not the other way around, by Wicklow which is blatant poaching of a player who is not eligible to play for them. If there was a problem with Carlow, then Wicklow should have stayed out of it because they had no more of a right to approach him than Donegal have. Furthermore, after he decided on Monday that he was not after all going to transfer to Wicklow and had informed Andy Shorthall that he would be training with Carlow on Tuesday night, he was clearly approached again by Wicklow who simply refused to let it go. By that night they had persuaded him to do yet another u-turn and the transfer was back on.
At least our best players are our younger players (in fact all of our players are young) who will be better players with experience and that's not counting B Murphy and P Broderick who have yet to play but will have big contributions to make sooner than later