Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: LeoMc on November 06, 2022, 07:55:48 PM
If they were putting their 17th and 33rd clubs in and sweeping up the Intermediate and Junior titles there would be plenty complaining.
If you look at Kerry at the other extreme where their 9th club is going into Intermediate.

I don't think they would be complaining. I remember in 07 Ballinagh played Fingal Ravens in the All Ireland Intermediate Semi final in Navan. It was a good competitive game. They won the All Ireland intermediate after that.

Dublin have changed their stance since then. And I doubt Dublins 33rd club would be walking Junior level. A lot of weak clubs in Dublin after the top 20 or so.

Rossfan

I hope I live to see the day Ros CB will be applying for planning for a Centre! where teams might be able to train.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 23, 2022, 09:46:40 PM
Dublin GAA granted planning permission for €6.6million centre of excellence

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41012573.html?fbclid=IwAR3GdRqMS_c-mL5ZCmlpGtLztTazCFI3tIKndfpVHC8WgLXq8oLhx4rOFc4

To match the cluster in the Spawell they are building.

How did we survive without these clusters?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 24, 2022, 10:13:09 AM
I hope I live to see the day Ros CB will be applying for planning for a Centre! where teams might be able to train.....

Building two at the same time is largesse we don't need.  Remember there is also Abbotstown

Hollystown GC is at least closed. The Spawell has bars, restaurant, golf, astro, tennis and a load of smaller business like hairdressers. All will be evicted and at leat 100 jobs gone. For a third cluster.

Rossfan

If only they'd sit on their hands whinging the various Dublin Councils would give them loads of free stuff....

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 24, 2022, 12:58:57 PM
If only they'd sit on their hands whinging the various Dublin Councils would give them loads of free stuff....

Not sure I follow, but both NAMA sales to the DCB for our new 'clusters' were, ahem, intersting.

From the Bunker

Confirmed: Galway become first GAA county to go over €2m in team spending for one season

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41014745.html

armaghniac

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 24, 2022, 12:08:21 PM

Building two at the same time is largesse we don't need.  Remember there is also Abbotstown

Hollystown GC is at least closed. The Spawell has bars, restaurant, golf, astro, tennis and a load of smaller business like hairdressers. All will be evicted and at leat 100 jobs gone. For a third cluster.

Jobs gone is bollix. People get their hair cut, if not in one place than somewhere else. Likewise with drinking.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on November 25, 2022, 11:34:09 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 24, 2022, 12:08:21 PM

Jobs gone is bollix. People get their hair cut, if not in one place than somewhere else. Likewise with drinking.

That attitude will go down very well with the locals who are losing amenities

tonto1888

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 25, 2022, 11:07:38 PM
Confirmed: Galway become first GAA county to go over €2m in team spending for one season

what all would add up to that?

Baile Brigín 2

850k a team? There are professional soccer clubs spending less. I would love to see that spending breakdown.

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 27, 2022, 11:49:29 AM

what all would add up to that?
Joyce and his team? Few nights in Dublin hotels? Wouldn't be long adding up but 2 million is some coin

Rossfan

They have Hurley stuff as well which they're quite good at ;)
And they don't get 90% of their games at home.

Blowitupref

Would be huge travelling expenses for all of the Connacht counties with the majority of their players living, working or studying in Dublin or elsewhere.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose