Mickey Harte in control for another 3years.

Started by supersarsfields, May 02, 2012, 10:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Tyrone boss Mickey Harte gets new three-year contract

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte is to stay in charge for another three years after agreeing a new contract with the Red Hand county.
Harte, who led Tyrone to All-Ireland Championships in 2003, 2005 and 2008, was in the final year of his current three-year contract.
A recommendation to offer him a deal up to 2015 was endorsed by the Tyrone Committee in Carrickmore on Tuesday.
Tyrone face Armagh in a big Ulster Championship clash on 10 June.
"It is a great privilege to be asked to remain in charge of the Tyrone senior football team, and I gladly accepted that offer," said Harte.
"To be asked to manage the best players your county has to offer is still a wonderful honour."
Harte managed his club Errigal Ciaran and led Tyrone Minors to All-Ireland success before moving up to become senior boss in 2003.

Denn Forever

Why do they keep calling it a "contract"?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Aaron Boone

It's a vote of confidence from the chairman in the poisoned chalice of Tyrone management.

Jinxy

The very best of luck to him.
A true legend of the game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

armaghniac

Surely his position will come into question when Tyrone are hammered by Armagh in the Morgan Athletic Grounds.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: armaghniac on May 02, 2012, 11:55:42 PM
Surely his position will come into question when Tyrone are hammered by Armagh in the Morgan Athletic Grounds.

Yeah, 2022 will be pushing it a bit all right!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

here comes 6

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 02, 2012, 10:34:11 PM
Thats what i was thinking whan i read it on teletext

sheamy

What does Mickey do these days? For a job, like...

Hardy

I can only assume it's soccerspeak. That kind of shite is infecting a lot of the language of GAA reporting - Mickey Harte's Tyrone, centre half, kick off, goal kick, etc.

And on the other hand, a lot of the our most cherished GAA clichés have disappeared in the tendency of reporters to want to sound like Sky - what happened to daisy-cutters, the second moiety, pulling them out of the sky, a hev*, etc?

*Let me know if you know what this means.

Denn Forever

Quotea hev*, etc?

Can you put it into a sentence?  Never heard this before.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

Mickey, bursting out of defence was met with an almighty hev from Johnny.

I'm just looking to see how widespread the term is. It was our standard term for the action in my part of the world.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on May 03, 2012, 09:36:21 AM

I can only assume it's soccerspeak. That kind of shite is infecting a lot of the language of GAA reporting - Mickey Harte's Tyrone, centre half, kick off, goal kick, etc.

And on the other hand, a lot of the our most cherished GAA clichés have disappeared in the tendency of reporters to want to sound like Sky - what happened to daisy-cutters, the second moiety, pulling them out of the sky, a hev*, etc?

It's like a 'showlder' I think. Normally a full on body slam. I think it comes from 'Heft'.

Hardy

That's it - an actual shoulder (in our part of the world, anyway) rather than a "shirtfront". Was/is it in use in Offaly?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on May 03, 2012, 11:56:22 AM
That's it - an actual shoulder (in our part of the world, anyway) rather than a "shirtfront". Was/is it in use in Offaly?

I've heard it before, but more like 'Heft' than 'Hev'. Anyway, as I said, in Offaly it's more often called 'Showlder', where the Ow is pronounced like the exclamation of pain rather than the word Show.

Hardy

I remember a crowd of us having an impromptu hevving tournament in a field on the way home from school one day. Straight knockout (not literally - you know what I mean). Two fellas charged sideways at each other and whoever was forced back - well, sideways - was the loser. It often took a few replays between evenly matched lads before a winner in their matchup could be declared.

The upshot was we were about an hour late home. (The tournament only took about twenty minutes. The framing of the rules, the draw, arranging preliminary rounds and byes because of the odd numbers, etc. took 40 minutes). My mother conducted an inquiry.

Where were you until this hour?
- We were just playin' hevvin'.

Heaven? Playing Heaven? There's no such game as "Heaven" - as she malavogued us about the legs with a wooden spoon.

(Sorry about your thread, Mickey.)