rules question : "reset the hand count"?

Started by GreenBridgeHurling, December 21, 2015, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenBridgeHurling

hello there, a question from across the pond ...if you can take the ball to hand twice on a solo, what are the ways to "reset" that hand count,  if any?  Because the gaa rules pdf doesn't seem to address that topic directly, at least as I read it*.   
Bouncing  the sliotar off the ground (with the hurl)  is legit, right, that gives you two more carries? 
How about a punt off the foot to one's self, similar to football?
I feel like I have seen both methods in games, but maybe I just misunderstood.
Thanks in advance ... bonus points for answering  if you are a certified official or can cite a reputable source document.

*https://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/coaching_and_games/rules/Playing_Rules_of_Hurling_100110233127.pdf

PS I also sent a query to GAA Coaching and Development dept but have yet to get a response.

screenexile

Might be wrong but I don't think that hand toeing the ball in Hurling constitutes a reset. I think the ball must touch the ground for that to happen!

AZOffaly

Interesting question. The way the rule is actually laid out would suggest that the time honoured 'batting off the ground' to give yourself another 2 goes is just an interpretation and is not covered by rule.

Rule 1.4

A player may catch the ball, play it on his
hurley, and bring it back into his hand once. A
player who has not caught the ball may play it
from the hurley into his hand twice.

It doesn't mention the fact that he can reset the counter at any time. Obviously the interpretation is that the action of hitting it off the ground is analogous to losing and regaining possession and therefore the counter resets.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 21, 2015, 03:01:04 PM
Interesting question. The way the rule is actually laid out would suggest that the time honoured 'batting off the ground' to give yourself another 2 goes is just an interpretation and is not covered by rule.

Rule 1.4

A player may catch the ball, play it on his
hurley, and bring it back into his hand once. A
player who has not caught the ball may play it
from the hurley into his hand twice.

It doesn't mention the fact that he can reset the counter at any time. Obviously the interpretation is that the action of hitting it off the ground is analogous to losing and regaining possession and therefore the counter resets.

It doesn't answer the question of toe to handing the sliothar back into your hand though, although I've seen it done when someone has lost the hurl in a tackle and has carried the ball forward a few steps.
I think in this instance most referees wouldn't consider it a reset and award a free if deemed to have caught the ball more than twice as toe to handing would be considered still in possession.

I once saw Johnny Leahy throw the ball with force onto the ground (underarm) and take the ball back under control (a reset) and continue to hold possession for a further two times. I thought that would be a free in all fairness, but the ref didn't blow it!

Bord na Mona man

I presume the ball being touched by an opponent also counts as a reset.
In football, you can handpass the ball to yourself legitimately once it touches the ground before you regather it. I'm not sure what the rule says though.

let it fly

I remember billy byrne bouncing the ball off the ground from his hand in the 96 leinster final i think and it wasnt blown, its a strange one because if a player let it fall to the ground as he was being tackled and regained the ball on the bounce I wouldnt see it as a foul but if he purposely bounced the ball off the ground then I would. Players could technically let the ball fall in that case so its hard to say. Down to the referee at the time id say.