Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Whatever about SDLP,  FG FF etc isn't it time SF in particular started telling people what way they see the new All Ireland set up.
Wouldn't have to be in detail -just a broad outline.
It would certainly be better than chanting the "Border poll now" mantra.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

red hander

Quote from: michaelg on April 20, 2018, 04:52:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 20, 2018, 04:43:07 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 20, 2018, 02:26:37 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 20, 2018, 12:26:46 PM
Some years ago Robinson was talking at a DUPUDA annual conference of making the Union more attractive to Catholics.
Then Belfast City Council stopped flying the Butcher's and he jumped back behind the tribal barricade.
The Dupes and Unionist majority Councils seem totally unwilling to take any cognisance of the fact there are 2 Nationalities in the 6 Cos.

I agree. But it will be to their detriment. A happy Nationalist isn't talking about a UI.

Exactly. Especially now with reduced unionist majority/Brexit etc, unionism should be bending over backwards to show nationalists they're better off in The uk. Likewise, for SF.

Instead it's "no surrender" and "tiocfaidh ar la".
Agreed.  Also hard to fathom how the DUP could not see the potential damage to the Union when supporting Brexit, particulary when it was fairly obvious that Scotland was likely to vote remain.  Perhaps, like most people, they felt that the leavers were unlikely to win.

Read an article online about six months ago that suggested this re the DUP. Can't for the life of me remember the web address etc, but the guy said his sources told him the DUP was persuaded by right-wing elements within the Tory party to throw its weight blindly behind Brexit. These elements, incl Gove and Johnson, didn't actually believe the UK would vote for it, despite their posturing since the referendum, but the DUP would do itself no harm and in the process enhance its ultra British image. There may or may not be any truth in it.

michaelg

Very possible.  Whilst Arlene doesn't appear to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, wee Nigel is no dozer.  Why it's hard to see how he could not see the potential impact on the union(i.e. Potential break-up) if Scotland voted remain in an overal UK leave vote.

imtommygunn

the more i see of her the more inclined i would be to think that lining her own pocket would be a more likely reason for the support of brexit.

That inquiry is a farce. She is lying through her teeth. Good christian my arse.

BennyCake

DUP supported Brexit assuming it would fail. And at same time, showing the rest of UK that they are the most british of all the Brits in the UK's jurisdictions.

Then when Brexit happens, they had to actually follow through with their patriotic charade.

red hander

Quote from: BennyCake on April 20, 2018, 08:11:04 PM
DUP supported Brexit assuming it would fail. And at same time, showing the rest of UK that they are the most british of all the Brits in the UK's jurisdictions.

Then when Brexit happens, they had to actually follow through with their patriotic charade.

Yep, that's what guy was basically saying in article, but that Tory right planted the initial seed

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rossfan on April 20, 2018, 05:29:50 PM
Whatever about SDLP,  FG FF etc isn't it time SF in particular started telling people what way they see the new All Ireland set up.
Actually Mary Lou in that programme said that in the event of a UI everything was up for discussion and that Unionists had to feel welcome (paraphrasing). This is a refreshing change, coupled with what I thought was an excellent contribution from Colm Eastwood. Stalford deserves some credit as well for his approach.

armaghniac

If Stalford wants a long political career he should expect to be a minister in a UI.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

HiMucker

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 23, 2018, 10:44:25 AM
Actually Mary Lou in that programme said that in the event of a UI everything was up for discussion and that Unionists had to feel welcome (paraphrasing). This is a refreshing change, coupled with what I thought was an excellent contribution from Colm Eastwood. Stalford deserves some credit as well for his approach.
100%

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on April 20, 2018, 04:52:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 20, 2018, 04:43:07 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 20, 2018, 02:26:37 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 20, 2018, 12:26:46 PM
Some years ago Robinson was talking at a DUPUDA annual conference of making the Union more attractive to Catholics.
Then Belfast City Council stopped flying the Butcher's and he jumped back behind the tribal barricade.
The Dupes and Unionist majority Councils seem totally unwilling to take any cognisance of the fact there are 2 Nationalities in the 6 Cos.

I agree. But it will be to their detriment. A happy Nationalist isn't talking about a UI.

Exactly. Especially now with reduced unionist majority/Brexit etc, unionism should be bending over backwards to show nationalists they're better off in The uk. Likewise, for SF.

Instead it's "no surrender" and "tiocfaidh ar la".
Agreed.  Also hard to fathom how the DUP could not see the potential damage to the Union when supporting Brexit, particulary when it was fairly obvious that Scotland was likely to vote remain.  Perhaps, like most people, they felt that the leavers were unlikely to win.
The DUP have a number of clowns that would see Brexit as putting one over on nationalists and the Republic.

trailer

Quote from: tiempo on April 19, 2018, 10:40:58 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 19, 2018, 08:21:09 PM
Quote from: Taylor on April 19, 2018, 06:56:17 PM
I want a UI as much as the next man however the current process is just going to to make them dig their heels in more.

How about trying a different tactic and putting a UI on sideburner and making the Unionists look like the petty fools they are

Because that would mean actually doing something, and SF have nothing to offer themselves. Both sides deflect attention from their useless selves, by attacking the other.

Aye sheer SF incompetence got them this far  ::)

Well that and a little bit of voter fraud...

Armamike

I'm not sure if they have a vision for how it could look, or SDLP either. Certainly any time I've seen reps from either party asked about it they've badly struggled to give an answer.  One possibility would be a federal type of set up which gives people at a more regional level some autonomy.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Rossfan

As I've been saying for 10 or so years a Confederation of the 2 existing Jurisdictions with the terms of the GFA applying to the 6 Cos.
Slimmed down versions of the Dáil and Stormont to run local affairs in their Semi Autonomous Areas.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on April 23, 2018, 05:25:25 PM
As I've been saying for 10 or so years a Confederation of the 2 existing Jurisdictions with the terms of the GFA applying to the 6 Cos.
Slimmed down versions of the Dáil and Stormont to run local affairs in their Semi Autonomous Areas.

Can you really see that happening? I mean, the DUP can't sit down in Stormont with Nationalist parties under a British governmental system. They unlikely to sit down in Stormont under a United Ireland system.

Rossfan

We're talking about a different world altogether .......