Championship Power Rankings

Started by Lar Naparka, August 24, 2011, 11:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Quote from: ross4life on August 24, 2011, 05:01:38 PM
Quote from: AFS on August 24, 2011, 04:43:40 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 24, 2011, 01:26:25 PM
Those rankings are rubbish. There's neither head nor tail to them.

Why are Cork ahead of Donegal and Mayo, both whom made the semis, which Cork did not? Does Championship performance not count? And if it doesn't, what does? Why not have Cork No 1 entirely? Where are Roscommon? Are they misssing because they're a Division 4 team? If it's League based, what are a Division 2 team, Donegal, doing up there at four, ahead of five Division 1 teams?

Rubbish.

They're thirteenth, which is generous enough for a side that has as many hammerings as wins on their record in the last three or four years.

Are the Championship power rankings judged on the last three or four years or just this year?

I'd imagine they're based on whatever Ewan MacKenna fancies.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on August 24, 2011, 04:36:19 PM
He said Mayo are useless.

"Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile."

In other words, it takes one to know one and, IMHO, this applies equally to the aforesaid Mr. Crawford, your good self and the whole of County Meath.
There, I'm feeling a whole lot better now!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross4life

Quote from: AFS on August 24, 2011, 05:49:04 PM
Quote from: ross4life on August 24, 2011, 05:01:38 PM
Quote from: AFS on August 24, 2011, 04:43:40 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 24, 2011, 01:26:25 PM
Those rankings are rubbish. There's neither head nor tail to them.

Why are Cork ahead of Donegal and Mayo, both whom made the semis, which Cork did not? Does Championship performance not count? And if it doesn't, what does? Why not have Cork No 1 entirely? Where are Roscommon? Are they misssing because they're a Division 4 team? If it's League based, what are a Division 2 team, Donegal, doing up there at four, ahead of five Division 1 teams?

Rubbish.

They're thirteenth, which is generous enough for a side that has as many hammerings as wins on their record in the last three or four years.

Are the Championship power rankings judged on the last three or four years or just this year?

I'd imagine they're based on whatever Ewan MacKenna fancies.

Yeah I'd say so & someone needs to tell him we didn't play in All Ireland quarter-final this year.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 24, 2011, 05:06:27 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 24, 2011, 01:50:56 PM
QuoteRemember that 1997 All Ireland they captured by beating no more than Tipperary, Clare, Cavan and Mayo. Well this one is beginning to have that peaceful, easy feeling to it as well.

I got as far as this and then puked, this is the kind of shite rolled out every year that would sicken your hole. Its a f**king insult to all the fine footballers around the country of 1997, we beat the best of what was in Munster that year remember that Tipp team were after beating Cork , Cavan were Ulster Champions and Mayo were Connacht Champions again and had beaten us in the Semi the year before and we had one of the greatest players ever in our ranks as well in a certain Maurice Fitzgerald, but its classed as an easy All Ireland. And to try and make a comparison to this year is just stupid, we beat the All Ireland Champions out the gate in the first half in the Munster final in Killarney, beat Limerick who accounted for the Leinster finalists wexford in the qualifiers, in the Quarter final and so far have beaten the Connacht Champions who are a very good team and we will have a right good cut at either the Leinster or Ulster champions in the AI final.  Yet again its is somehow deemed as an easy run.

Funny. A Kerry buck told me that 1997 was the softest Ireland you boys won since 1962.

Funny. A Mayo buck told me that the Mayo team of 96 were a great team. I wonder what happened to them in the space of a year ?

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on August 24, 2011, 05:12:17 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 24, 2011, 03:22:07 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 24, 2011, 11:41:08 AM
It's just depressing, reading the Meath bit and understanding that this is what everyone thinks and thinking of what we have to look forward to next year and realising that an early exit due to another narrow defeat by a decent team will mean yet another year of this <expletive deleted> circus.

"Better. Much better." My arse.

Did you read Crawfords parting shot today Hardy?

No, I hadn't seen that. It's interesting that that view exists within the panel. I don't know how widespread it is, but the impression was put about that the squad were very happy with Bantyism.

It's good to see someone agrees with me. Apart from the bit where we were going places under Eamonn. I think we'd reached the end of that road, but it's some achievement by the wee fella to go backwards from a competitive record (W-D-L) under Eamonn last year of 8-1-4 to 3-1-7 and try to sell it as progress.

I think it probably exists within every panel among the lads that aren't getting picked.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 24, 2011, 08:39:40 PM
QuoteRemember that 1997 All Ireland they captured by beating no more than Tipperary, Clare, Cavan and Mayo. Well this one is beginning to have that peaceful, easy feeling to it as well.

I got as far as this and then puked, this is the kind of shite rolled out every year that would sicken your hole. Its a f**king insult to all the fine footballers around the country of 1997, we beat the best of what was in Munster that year remember that Tipp team were after beating Cork , Cavan were Ulster Champions and Mayo were Connacht Champions again and had beaten us in the Semi the year before and we had one of the greatest players ever in our ranks as well in a certain Maurice Fitzgerald, but its classed as an easy All Ireland. And to try and make a comparison to this year is just stupid, we beat the All Ireland Champions out the gate in the first half in the Munster final in Killarney, beat Limerick who accounted for the Leinster finalists wexford in the qualifiers, in the Quarter final and so far have beaten the Connacht Champions who are a very good team and we will have a right good cut at either the Leinster or Ulster champions in the AI final.  Yet again its is somehow deemed as an easy run.

Funny. A Kerry buck told me that 1997 was the softest Ireland you boys won since 1962.

Funny. A Mayo buck told me that the Mayo team of 96 were a great team. I wonder what happened to them in the space of a year ?

Mayo bucks aren't always honest like Kerry bucks Mike. That fella was only pulling your tail.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 24, 2011, 08:52:08 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 24, 2011, 08:39:40 PM

Mayo bucks aren't always honest like Kerry bucks Mike. That fella was only pulling your tail.

Ahh, you mean like mind games and the like > ..... yerra, that stuff never works. Don't be bothering with it !

Jinxy

Yerra just go out and play and never mind all that fancy talk.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Orangemac

Would it kill the GAA to come up with official rankings every year? Release them around December when the couty scene is quiet to create a bit of media hype.

Base them over 2 years League and Championship.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Orangemac on August 24, 2011, 11:14:08 PM
Would it kill the GAA to come up with official rankings every year? Release them around December when the couty scene is quiet to create a bit of media hype.

They wouldn't like that in HQ it would have put Dublin behind Mayo for most of the last decade.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

heffo

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 25, 2011, 01:13:47 AM
Quote from: Orangemac on August 24, 2011, 11:14:08 PM

They wouldn't like that in HQ it would have put Dublin behind Mayo for most of the last decade.

You're dead right - looking at our respective ten year records I'd have ye ahead of Dublin every year of the last ten:

Dublin
2001 – beaten by AI winners finalists in Qtr final
2002 – beaten by AI winners Armagh in Semi final (Leinster Champs)
2003 – beaten by AI finalists Armagh in Qtr final
2004 – beaten by AI Winners Kerry in Qtr final
2005 – beaten by AI Winners Tyrone after replay in Qtr final (Leinster Champs)
2006 – beaten by AI finalists Mayo in Semi Final (Leinster Champs)
2007 – beaten by AI winners Kerry in Semi final (Leinster Champs)
2008 – beaten by AI winners Tyrone in Qtr final (Leinster Champs)
2009 – beaten by AI winners Kerry in Qtr final (Leinster Champs)
2010 – beaten by AI winners Cork in Semi final
2011 – In AI Semi-final (Leinster Champs)

Mayo
2001 – beaten in quarter final by Westmeath
2002 – beaten by Cork in quarter final
2003 – beaten by Fermanagh in quarter final
2004 – beaten in AI Final by Kerry (Connaught Champs)
2005 – beaten by AI finalists Kerry in qtr final
2006 – beaten in AI Final by Kerry (Connaught Champs)
2007 – beaten by Derry in last 16 of qualifiers
2008 – beaten by AI winners Tyrone in Qtr final
2009 – beaten by Meath in Qtr final (Connaught Champs)
2010 – beaten by Longford in 1st round of qualifiers
2011 – beaten by Kerry in AI Semi final (Connaught Champs)

AZOffaly

heffo

Gimme a break lads will ya between sorting tickets for this match and being up at the crack of dawn I don't know whether I'm coming or going!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: heffo on August 25, 2011, 10:40:17 AM
Gimme a break lads will ya between sorting tickets for this match and being up at the crack of dawn I don't know whether I'm coming or going!

Your just in the Zone Heffo...
#newbridgeornowhere