Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Also got Richard Osman's 'The Thursday Murder Club' as a present from the wife. Think my exact words were - do you know me at all??

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: bennydorano on December 29, 2020, 02:52:20 PM
Also got Richard Osman's 'The Thursday Murder Club' as a present from the wife. Think my exact words were - do you know me at all??

You mean the story of a group of pensioners solving the murder in a fancy old people's home doesn't float your boat?  ;D

trailer

Champagne football is a great read. I'm sure lots of you have read it.
Started when the world stops watching, so far so good.
Read a piece the other day about how sports autobiographies aren't selling as well. Rob Kearney sold just over 3k copies of his. Reader fatigue, same stories about the same matches etc. I definitely get that. I love a sports book but had fallen out of love with them. They're were just too sanitised. So I'm looking for that different angle now as it were.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 29, 2020, 03:03:16 PM

You mean the story of a group of pensioners solving the murder in a fancy old people's home doesn't float your boat?  ;D

Came up in conversation before xmas where i then told the wife not to be getting it, (more because ive a pile of unread books already) cue bitta laughin where it transpired it had already been purchased......

But now ive read what its about........im in!!!!

BennyCake

Outsold Obama's book. I know which I'd prefer to read, and it ain't f**kin' Obama.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 29, 2020, 03:25:27 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 29, 2020, 03:03:16 PM

Came up in conversation before xmas where i then told the wife not to be getting it, (more because ive a pile of unread books already) cue bitta laughin where it transpired it had already been purchased......

But now ive read what its about........im in!!!!
Got it too! Must have been some marketing blitz to get everyone to pick it up as a stocking filler.

quit yo jibbajabba

I follow him on twitter and we both watch Pointless usually while makin the old supper. Likeable sort.

Hes just passed 1m followers on twitter today so id say thatd be a good start for any boyo sellin a book

Tony Baloney

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 29, 2020, 06:34:27 PM
I follow him on twitter and we both watch Pointless usually while makin the old supper. Likeable sort.

Hes just passed 1m followers on twitter today so id say thatd be a good start for any boyo sellin a book
Aye me too. House of Games is class.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 29, 2020, 08:58:54 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 29, 2020, 06:34:27 PM

Aye me too. House of Games is class.

Cant get into it for some reason. I like Pointless tbh. Didnt wana go overboard earlier, street cred and all that 😃😉

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2020/1104/1175925-that-place-we-call-home-by-john-creedon-read-an-extract/

This looks good, i could listen and watch John Creedon all day on TV and radio, be interesting to see how this book reads

bennydorano

Quote from: BennyCake on December 29, 2020, 03:28:17 PM

Outsold Obama's book. I know which I'd prefer to read, and it ain't f**kin' Obama.
Finished  The Thursday Murder Club and loved it!

Have read about 20 pages of Obama.

BennyCake

Quote from: bennydorano on January 19, 2021, 10:05:09 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 29, 2020, 03:28:17 PM

Finished  The Thursday Murder Club and loved it!

Have read about 20 pages of Obama.

So the wife does know ye then! :D

Use that other one to light the fire.

naka

received two vintage books on Ireland for Christmas from mrs rather than the usual crap
I a 2 century history of Ireland written in 1888 which is fascinating as written when Ireland still in empire
2 the rising 1916 written in 1918 which again shows me how it was perceived then rather than the glorification now.

always good to look at history from different timelines because the interpretation is so different

Main Street

Quote from: naka on January 20, 2021, 12:45:21 PM
received two vintage books on Ireland for Christmas from mrs rather than the usual crap
I a 2 century history of Ireland written in 1888 which is fascinating as written when Ireland still in empire
2 the rising 1916 written in 1918 which again shows me how it was perceived then rather than the glorification now.

always good to look at history from different timelines because the interpretation is so different
With most big history events it's wise to read different accounts
But if someone asks me to recommend one book about 1916  then it's  Rebels  -  Peter de Rosa 

BennyCake

Tried to read Jack Kerouac's On The Road. Just couldn't get into it, and gave up after a few dozen pages.

Have I missed anything?