TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canice lynch

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 20, 2021, 02:47:52 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on January 20, 2021, 02:25:43 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 19, 2021, 07:09:32 PM
Of all the true crime documentaries on Netflix that I have watched, that is one of the best and seemingly far-fetched, but its real.  The Jinx and The Staircase are two others that are unreal.

I'd have to respectfully disagree about The Staircase. What could/should have been a decent one hour documentary, stretched threadbare in order to fill out a 13 episode series.

It was long compared to others, but that was to do with the fact that its 3 separate shows emerged togethers over the 15/20 years. The Keepers is the nun show, was excellent too. I would expect a really good one on the Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer in the next year or two.

Have you watched 'I'll be gone in the dark" on Netflix? 6 part documentary following this from the perspective of a realt crime author.. Really good show

Jell 0 Biafra

The confession killer is another good Netflix crime doc.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 19, 2021, 09:16:25 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2021, 11:19:18 PM
Watching Dark on Netflix... you'd need a degree in story following to get round it but I love this type of stuff

It definitely requires your full attention, but it is brilliant

If you are into this stuff its brilliant, 3 series long, well acted.

As good as The OA which was dropped by Netflix
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rudi

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on January 21, 2021, 03:14:00 PM
The confession killer is another good Netflix crime doc.

A bit like "don't feck with cats" in that fact is stranger than fiction.

Main Street

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on January 21, 2021, 06:49:57 AM
Quote from: Main Street on January 20, 2021, 05:22:16 PM
Staircase is fine but it's not entertainment, there is no climax last episode, it's procedural and a tad biased towards the husband's innocence. It was very unfortunate for the husband's that it came to pass that his first wife died in a similar manner. What are the odds of that happening?

spoiler alert, much?
Not much if any, much less  a spoiler than saying Perry Mason got his client off or Apollo 13 did make it back or watch out for HAL.

The documentary is 15 years old and the story goes through many twists and turns after the timeline of the info I revealed.
Imo it's very good but it has to be disclosed that the documentary makers are  firmly in bed with the defense.
There was a shabbily made BBC podcast which firmly jumped into bed with the prosecution.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Main Street on January 21, 2021, 07:20:08 PM
Staircase is fine but it's not entertainment, there is no climax last episode, it's procedural and a tad biased towards the husband's innocence. It was very unfortunate for the husband's that it came to pass that his first wife died in a similar manner. What are the odds of that happening?

spoiler alert, much?
Not much if any, much less  a spoiler than saying Perry Mason got his client off or Apollo 13 did make it back or watch out for HAL.

The documentary is 15 years old and the story goes through many twists and turns after the timeline of the info I revealed.
Imo it's very good but it has to be disclosed that the documentary makers are  firmly in bed with the defense.
There was a shabbily made BBC podcast which firmly jumped into bed with the prosecution.

the specific detail you revealed was the biggest twist/reveal/wow moment in the entire series! It doesn't matter how old it is. This is a recommendations thread. Recommendations for people who haven't seen the feckin thing!
Hasta la victoria siempre

nrico2006

Quote from: canice lynch on January 21, 2021, 12:26:28 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 20, 2021, 02:47:52 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on January 20, 2021, 02:25:43 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 19, 2021, 07:09:32 PM
Of all the true crime documentaries on Netflix that I have watched, that is one of the best and seemingly far-fetched, but its real.  The Jinx and The Staircase are two others that are unreal.

I'd have to respectfully disagree about The Staircase. What could/should have been a decent one hour documentary, stretched threadbare in order to fill out a 13 episode series.

It was long compared to others, but that was to do with the fact that its 3 separate shows emerged togethers over the 15/20 years. The Keepers is the nun show, was excellent too. I would expect a really good one on the Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer in the next year or two.

Have you watched 'I'll be gone in the dark" on Netflix? 6 part documentary following this from the perspective of a realt crime author.. Really good show

Aye, watched it a few months ago, don't think its on Netflix though.  Its a HBO documentary and had to do some trawling to get the episode streams.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on January 21, 2021, 09:49:06 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 21, 2021, 07:20:08 PM

spoiler alert, much?

the specific detail you revealed was the biggest twist/reveal/wow moment in the entire series! It doesn't matter how old it is. This is a recommendations thread. Recommendations for people who haven't seen the feckin thing!
The event in  episode 3  was a "wow moment", but was far from the biggest "wow moment" in the 13 episodes.  Those  big "wow moments" came immediately afterwards and in the following episodes.  And in no way could anyone figure out how the documentary or prosecution strategy/case was going to transpire by knowing one event from ep 3.
spoiler alert -   little.  --   hysteria alert  - much.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 19, 2021, 07:12:11 PM
Quote from: Boycey on January 19, 2021, 10:37:23 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2021, 11:26:31 PM
Can't remember if I said before but Lupin is a good watch. Only 5 episodes and if you like The Thomas Crown Affair etc. you'll like it.

I'll have to stick with it then I was starting to waver on only the second episode, a bit corny?
Oh it is surely. It's fairly light-hearted and st only 5 episodes I was happy to go along with it. My heart sinks when I see these 20 episode series.
Now the 2nd most watched series in Netflix history. And it's only been out for 2 weeks. Not bad going

bennydorano

Quote from: bennydorano on January 18, 2021, 11:07:39 PM
Briarpatch on Alibi has started off like a house on fire, bit like Fargo - with a touch of Twin Peaks.
Finished this, class show. Bit indie for some tastes here I'd say tho.

screenexile

Watched the first 2 episodes of It's a Sin... Russell T Davies has made some brilliant TV shows in his time and this is another clinker so far!

Jeepers Creepers

Midsummar on Amazon prime. Maddest film I have ever seen. Please tell me someone else has watched it?

Jell 0 Biafra

Yeah, I  saw it. I like the director from his earlier Hereditary,  which is one of the best recent  horror movies I've seen. Enjoyed it well enough,  but it's basically a remake of the 70s movie Wickerman.

Snapchap

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 24, 2021, 11:24:55 PM
Midsummar on Amazon prime. Maddest film I have ever seen. Please tell me someone else has watched it?

Mad in a good way or a bad way? Worth watching?

Estimator

Quote from: Snapchap on January 25, 2021, 01:08:55 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 24, 2021, 11:24:55 PM

Mad in a good way or a bad way? Worth watching?

Yeah, I've watched it... It's just mental viewing.
Ulster League Champions 2009