USFC: Fermanagh v Down: Brewster Park: 3/6/12

Started by DownFanatic, May 15, 2012, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midlands Man

Fermanaghandsam

I would be shocked if that was the team to start on Sunday, I would expect about 4 changes before kick off, just hope the unit isn't one of them.

5 Sams

From Official Down GAA.
James names his side to face Fermanagh and has named one debutant from the Clonduff Club Arthur Mc Conville in the full forward position and Darren O' Hagan on his third
appearance in the championship gets the corner back position .

1 Brendan McVeigh
2 Daniel McCartan
3 Brendan McArdle
4 Darren O'Hagan
5 Aiden Branagan
6 Kevin McKernan
7 Conor Garvey
8 Ambrose Rogers
9 Kalum King
10 Daniel Hughes
11 Mark Poland
12 Aidan Carr
13 Conor Laverty
14 Arthur McConville
15 Conor Maginn

Weakest Down Championship team in years.
The Aristocrat Years

thewobbler

That's a big statement 5 Sams. 11 of those fellas have played in an All Ireland final. Nearly every one of them has been playing a pretty big role since Wee James took over. Yeah we've lost the marquee players that potentially could make us contenders, but never underestimate the value of experience and consistency.

I'd say just about any team we put out in the noughties was weaker than this. With Maginn, Carr and Poland pulling the strings we'll make plenty of chances. The only square peg is still McKernan; cracking footballer but not the CHB Down needs in front of our full back line.

No1

QuoteWhere is the best spot in enniskillen for pints after the game?

Willie Ramblers was serious value in 2009, I vaguely remember the Fermanagh minor team coming in to drown their sorrows with a crowd of Down men who you'd have thought were celebrating a famous victory.   ;D

It's called Jaggers now I believe.

Mourne Rover

It's hard to see that as a particularly  weak line-up, and there are not too many who can genuinely feel hard done by. Doyle's absence is a blow, but hopefully a little more time will do the job for him. O'Hagan is a fine prospect, who was not involved during the league at all but should be an asset. While the rest of the side is largely as expected,  James sometimes likes the odd late switch or two.

There is no point in thinking about players who are out of the country for various reasons, and with a bit of luck Rooney, McParland,  Gordon and Benny are all getting closer to fitness. A little further discussion with McComiskey would still be a good idea, but, on the strength of our league performances, the team is reasonably close to the best we can manage at the moment.

Down supporters will be acutely aware that we have only gone to Fermanagh in the championship twice in the last 30 years and lost on both occasions with squads in 1983 definitely and in 2009 probably more accomplished on paper than our representatives on Sunday.

However, even against a side which has been preparing for this game since the draw was made, a county which finished third in division one should still be capable of producing a serious display in Enniskillen.

FermGael

I give up.
I have never heard more rumours about one man in my life.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Pangurban

Far from our strongest team, but should be good enough to beat Fermanagh, meaning no disrepect to Fermanagh

5 Sams

Quote from: thewobbler on May 31, 2012, 11:06:50 PM
That's a big statement 5 Sams. 11 of those fellas have played in an All Ireland final. Nearly every one of them has been playing a pretty big role since Wee James took over. Yeah we've lost the marquee players that potentially could make us contenders, but never underestimate the value of experience and consistency.

I'd say just about any team we put out in the noughties was weaker than this. With Maginn, Carr and Poland pulling the strings we'll make plenty of chances. The only square peg is still McKernan; cracking footballer but not the CHB Down needs in front of our full back line.

I know what you're sayin Wobbs but we were weak in a lot of positions in the 2010 AIF as well (starting and subs)...do I need to spell it out??
The Aristocrat Years

southdown

A lot of playmakers in the forward line but my main concern is where the scores will come from.  Apart from Laverty there is nobody there I would consider a scoring forward.   

Do not be suprised if this team is changed before Sunday.

whitegoodman

Would agree with that, 4 half fowards none of them prolific, a midfielder and Laverty who until the last few games of the league wasnt getting the scores that his general play deserved.

Maybe Fermanaghs defence is very poor but I dont know where all the scores are going to come from.

No. 6

The half back line will most likely outscore the forwards as usual  :-\  If Liam Doyle is fit & playing CHB he'll hit frees, Conor Garvey will always be a threat of 1 or 2 pts.
FFS Don't Pass the ball to him!!!

everymanaman

The trigley in the full forward line won't feature for Fermanagh on Sunday, or indeed, any time soon. The days of the inter county overweight, beer slugging full forwards has gone. Jimmy Keavney wanabees no longer cut the mustard in the modern game