Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: oisinog on August 24, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
Just for information the funds have no been approved with no conditions ie the Gates are remaining in place. The gates were being relocated within the grounds if this was being required and thankfully this is now not the case.

Fund raising has been going on for this for a number of years and it has been a very long process.

This will be a community center available to everyone and the primary user will be the Oisin Club and this hopefully will benefit the whole community in the long run.

Exactly I think DR has got the wrong end of the stick here.

It is tax payers money, yes the DUP latched on to a single issue which was always there but was never a problem before.

They want to use the GAA in general as a political football but saying you wouldn't take a penny of this money is playing into their hands.

Same as the money that was invested in Dunloys building it was tax payers money the fact that Dunloy were able to keep it as solely club run is fair enough other clubs are not that lucky and have to look for other ways of development to achieve their aims.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Minder on August 24, 2016, 06:29:23 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 24, 2016, 03:03:33 PM
yeah Sport NI, lottery funds and club fund raising like;
Club Dunloy - still going strong
Club Lotto
Monthly draw
Yearly fund raiser on May Day
Other smaller fund raisers

we didnt have any pre-conditions put on us or our grounds in receiving the money. yes it was extremely hard work and were lucky to have so many people with a keen interest in wanting to be involved. It was one of the first few about at the time so that made it a bit easier to get the funding.

Money can be raised by the simplest of things that you wouldn't think worth it. Example - tea and chocolate bars during a match. Silly some may say but for all the effort it lifted near £400 at the recent championship double header. Thats £400 that didn't exist before and we have done this small thing at every home game. The simplest and smallest things all contribute to something bigger.

What irks me about this is that they had the funding sorted without any pre-conditions then someone told the DUP about the gates - something that ive never even paid attention in my many visits to the ground or noticed - and all of a sudden it was something that they could stop them getting the money for.

The DUP latched to it and knew they had the club over the barrel. It was breaking their hearts to give them money and they got their way.

I wouldn't of taken a single penny of the money after that

I am getting from that, could be wrong, that we have just went for funding without raising  any of our own ?

We have raised £170k of our own

No def not, i never said that you hadnt raised any of your own money at any time. I know for a fact from speaking to people at your club that the fund raising has been on going for some time and that the members and wider area have worked hard to raise their own part.

hurl like f**k boi!

oisinog

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 25, 2016, 09:04:47 AM
Club Lotto
Monthly draw

we didn't have any preconditions put on us or our grounds in receiving the money. yes it was extremely hard work and were lucky to have so many people with a keen interest in wanting to be involved. It was one of the first few about at the time so that made it a bit easier to get the funding.

Money can be raised by the simplest of things that you wouldn't think worth it. Example - tea and chocolate bars during a match. Silly some may say but for all the effort it lifted near £400 at the recent championship double header. That's £400 that didn't exist before and we have done this small thing at every home game. The simplest and smallest things all contribute to something bigger.

What irks me about this is that they had the funding sorted without any pre-conditions then someone told the DUP about the gates - something that ive never even paid attention in my many visits to the ground or noticed - and all of a sudden it was something that they could stop them getting the money for.

The DUP latched to it and knew they had the club over the barrel. It was breaking their hearts to give them money and they got their way.

I am getting from that, could be wrong, that we have just went for funding without raising  any of our own ?

No def not, i never said that you hadnt raised any of your own money at any time. I know for a fact from speaking to people at your club that the fund raising has been on going for some time and that the members and wider area have worked hard to raise their own part.

So if Sport NI put a condition on the funds you needed that you didn't agree with you wouldn't have taken the money.

The thing is Sport Ni probably did put a condition on the funds probably nothing too drastic but you very rarely get grants without conditions.

At the end of the day we are all tax payers the vote within the club was to detail that if this was a condition would the club be happy to agree to it.

At the end of the day this no longer matters we got the funds with no conditions and hopefully the second grant applied for will come through and the building would will start very soon.

Usain

Quote from: oisinog on August 25, 2016, 01:32:21 PM
Club Lotto
Monthly draw

we didn't have any preconditions put on us or our grounds in receiving the money. yes it was extremely hard work and were lucky to have so many people with a keen interest in wanting to be involved. It was one of the first few about at the time so that made it a bit easier to get the funding.

Money can be raised by the simplest of things that you wouldn't think worth it. Example - tea and chocolate bars during a match. Silly some may say but for all the effort it lifted near £400 at the recent championship double header. That's £400 that didn't exist before and we have done this small thing at every home game. The simplest and smallest things all contribute to something bigger.

So if Sport NI put a condition on the funds you needed that you didn't agree with you wouldn't have taken the money.

The thing is Sport Ni probably did put a condition on the funds probably nothing too drastic but you very rarely get grants without conditions.

At the end of the day we are all tax payers the vote within the club was to detail that if this was a condition would the club be happy to agree to it.

At the end of the day this no longer matters we got the funds with no conditions and hopefully the second grant applied for will come through and the building would will start very soon.

Oisinog. What are you hoping to build? Indoor hall? Gym? 3G pitch? New GAA pitch etc etc

Na Glinntí Glasa

Club Lotto
Monthly draw

If they had of told us to take down any reference to Padraig Pearse Park i for one would 100% been against the funding if that was a pre-condition of getting the money. Absolutely without question.

Look its done now, and the club voted in favour of it.
hurl like f**k boi!

manfromdelmonte

Rename it Pearse Park...

I saw Sambo was in the Irish Indo yesterday bemoaning the declining state of Antrim hurling county teams.

Is it that nobody is bothered up there?

theskull1

We lack the critical mass of people required to properly administrate, coach, fund and support efforts at all the levels and as a result things can be half arsed in too many areas. Plenty of people who can be bothered though. 

It would appear our county board haven't a pot to piss in. I'd love to see the differences in the support given to development squads between ourselves and healthy counties.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Usain

Quote from: theskull1 on August 26, 2016, 09:43:11 AM
We lack the critical mass of people required to properly administrate, coach, fund and support efforts at all the levels and as a result things can be half arsed in too many areas. Plenty of people who can be bothered though. 

It would appear our county board haven't a pot to piss in. I'd love to see the differences in the support given to development squads between ourselves and healthy counties.

Is it fair to say that we as a county haven't really bought into development quads?

Some clubs see them as more of a hindrance than anything else (losing their best player(s) to dev squad training/matches etc). Whereas in stronger counties it is the most important thing any rising star of the game could be involved in.

theskull1

A few U16 Dev squad players going to Tennents Vital instead of the national tournament this weekend in Tipp.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

clootfromthe21

Quote from: theskull1 on August 26, 2016, 04:20:21 PM
A few U16 Dev squad players going to Tennents Vital instead of the national tournament this weekend in Tipp.

And no team in the Tony Forristal (under 14) tournament - seems we entered and subsequently withdrew. What's that all about?

Are we going to field in the Under 15 competition?

Saw Sambo's article. Couldn't disagree with the content but also couldn't help be struck by one of the comments underneath which basically asked why are we (Antrim) "always moaning" - just get together a plan and get on with it.

Always struck me as a little demeaning that we constantly look to outsiders to solve our problems. Haven't Croke Park said they would help financially if we were to come up with a realistic plan?

oisinog

Quote from: Usain on August 25, 2016, 02:53:17 PM
Club Lotto
Monthly draw

Oisinog. What are you hoping to build? Indoor hall? Gym? 3G pitch? New GAA pitch etc etc

The initial plan is new changing facilitys and a number of multi function rooms and a gym

manfromdelmonte

Under 16 hurling tournament result
Galway 9-20 Antrim 0-2

Lads, Antrim hurling is deluded.
Ye are at Christy Ring standard and will be for the next few decades

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 27, 2016, 04:06:48 PM
Under 16 hurling tournament result
Galway 9-20 Antrim 0-2

Lads, Antrim hurling is deluded.
Ye are at Christy Ring standard and will be for the next few decades
I dont think anyone is deluded.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

ashman

The GAA is now mainly a shambles in Antrim.  The county largely covers Ireland's second city.  The GAA a number of years ago out huge money in to Dublin .  Won't happen here cos the don't need Antrim to fill croke park . 

Jesusjones

Nice of you to let us know manfromdelmonte. Go f**k yourself.