New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: whitey on June 25, 2013, 11:25:43 AM
Quote from: gallsman on June 25, 2013, 08:12:21 AM
Quote from: whitey on June 24, 2013, 10:48:13 PM
For grub definitely hit Katz Deli-you'll get a sandwich that'd feed an african village for a week

Staff are ignorant b**tards. We arrived in hungover on a Sunday, didn't cop the Jewish/kosher nature of the place (also haven't seen When Harry met Sally) and asked if we could get a fry up. Server looks at us and goes "Sorry man, not that kind of place" and walked off.

It's a Jewish Deli in Manhattan......what do you expect?

Note the bit where I said "didn't cop the Jewish/kosher nature of the place"...

What I'd expect from anyone in that situation working in the service industry would be to explain the situation and clarify what they were able to offer.

supersarsfields

Has anyone experience of using one of these,

http://www.newyorkpass.com/En/

Seems to offer good value especially with the queue skipping bonus.

gallsman

Quote from: supersarsfields on June 25, 2013, 11:54:01 AM

Not personally but comes highly recommended from a friend.

whitey

Quote from: gallsman on June 25, 2013, 11:43:16 AM
For grub definitely hit Katz Deli-you'll get a sandwich that'd feed an african village for a week

Staff are ignorant b**tards. We arrived in hungover on a Sunday, didn't cop the Jewish/kosher nature of the place (also haven't seen When Harry met Sally) and asked if we could get a fry up. Server looks at us and goes "Sorry man, not that kind of place" and

What I'd expect from anyone in that situation working in the service industry would be to explain the situation and clarify what they were able to offer.

LOL.......stereotypes don't come from Thin air

J70

Staff are ignorant b**tards. We arrived in hungover on a Sunday, didn't cop the Jewish/kosher nature of the place (also haven't seen When Harry met Sally) and asked if we could get a fry up. Server looks at us and goes "Sorry man, not that kind of place" and walked off.

That's New York for you!

AZOffaly

Chinatown and Little Italy are a buzz as well, or at least they were when I went there. Chinatown especially is amazing, you literally feel like you've crossed some international boundary. From the dead birds hanging in the windows, the restaurants etc etc. I had lunch in one of the restaurants in Chinatown. Our group of 4 were the only non-Asians in the place. Some of the food was lovely, some of it was gunk, but it was a great experience.

We went up from there to Little Italy and had an ice cream in some-elli or -ini . It was lovely, and far more familiar to our palate I have to say :) You could nearly hear the Godfather music playing in Little Italy though :)

Carmen Stateside

True about Chinatown, the woman love Chinatown due to the fake handbags.  Couple of friends out one summer were down checking out handbags in the back of a van when suddenly all doors closed.  Police were in the area and the two blades were sitting in the back for nearly an hour in 90 degree heat.  Needless to say they still bought the handbags although I think their little hostage situation got them an extra few dollars off. 

supersarsfields

Going to book a broadway show when we're over. Have been looking at prices online and it ain't cheap. Am I better booking online or trying to book when we're out there at the discount booths?

dec

Quote from: supersarsfields on July 02, 2013, 04:45:25 PM
Going to book a broadway show when we're over. Have been looking at prices online and it ain't cheap. Am I better booking online or trying to book when we're out there at the discount booths?

If you are prepared to wait until the day of the performance you can pick up cheaper tickers at the TKTS booths

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

All shows might not be available and you might wait in line for a while.

Here is a list of what was available on the most recent day

http://www.tdf.org/TKTSBoards.aspx

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2013, 01:42:10 PM
Chinatown and Little Italy are a buzz as well, or at least they were when I went there. Chinatown especially is amazing, you literally feel like you've crossed some international boundary. From the dead birds hanging in the windows, the restaurants etc etc. I had lunch in one of the restaurants in Chinatown. Our group of 4 were the only non-Asians in the place. Some of the food was lovely, some of it was gunk, but it was a great experience.

We went up from there to Little Italy and had an ice cream in some-elli or -ini . It was lovely, and far more familiar to our palate I have to say :) You could nearly hear the Godfather music playing in Little Italy though :)

We only got to Chinatown late one evening and even through it was mostly closed (plenty 24/7 discounts stores, though) and if anything it was better drenched in steam and neon lights. Koreatown is worth a visit for the food alone too.

Quote from: supersarsfields on June 25, 2013, 11:54:01 AM

They're absolutely amazing. I got into the 9/11 Memorial the month it opened even though they had a three month waiting list because the Water Taxi tour on the NY Pass came with tickets to the memorial. Food on Foot, the Empire State, Rockefeller Center (even better than the Empire State in my opinion), there's so much on it that's worth doing and you skip some of the queues to boot.

I'll get another one the next time I go just to do the things I missed out on the first time.

It comes with a good little guidebook of all that's part of the pass and there's an iOS app with maps and the like you can get too.

muppet

What I'd expect from anyone in that situation working in the service industry would be to explain the situation and clarify what they were
able to offer.

That's like walking up to an Orange March and asking can you play your Bodhrán.
MWWSI 2017

JimStynes

Lads I'm over in New York for 3 nights at the start of August (thur to sun) then onto Vegas. It will be our wedding anniversary while we are in New York. Any good restaurants u recommend going to? A steakhouse would be good but we love Italian, Chinese, Mexican and Indian as well. Budget of around 250 dollars. We are staying close to Times Square by the way.

mb80b60

Quote from: JimStynes on July 22, 2013, 02:26:32 PM
Lads I'm over in New York for 3 nights at the start of August (thur to sun) then onto Vegas. It will be our wedding anniversary while we are in New York. Any good restaurants u recommend going to? A steakhouse would be good but we love Italian, Chinese, Mexican and Indian as well. Budget of around 250 dollars. We are staying close to Times Square by the way.

JS, I have eaten in the Old Homestead Steakhouse before.  Very nice indeed.  Steak around $50, starters maybe $15.

Hardy

Or head down to Little Italy for a great range of Italian food: http://www.timeout.com/newyork/best-restaurants-little-italy-and-nolita

Or a popular thing is to eat in Chinatown then walk across Canal Street to Little Italy (Mulberry Street, for instance) for dessert. Chinese desserts are not great. Italian desserts are great.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: JimStynes on July 22, 2013, 02:26:32 PM

Del Frisco's beside the Rockefeller centre.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead