New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: gallsman on March 12, 2013, 10:19:52 AM
Any recommendations for outlet shopping? Is it worth the trip to Jersey to avoid the sales tax?

You used to be able to claim sales tax back.

And, no I wouldn't be arsed heading to Secaucus Outlets when places like Macy's, The Gap and Banana Republic have sales every other week.

But again, each to their own! Secaucus would be the nearest outlets to the city, just a few miles across in Jersey.

Rois

I was only trying to be helpful and got the internet equivalent of "everything you've said is rubbish"  :P

Well the £320 includes flight from Philly to NY with just an hr and a half layover - the saving def worth it this time (means he has more to spend on NY goods for me...)

Canalman

Just threw Philadelphia airport in as an option given imvho the fact that alot of people don't know how close it is by train to NY. Definitely an option if say you arrive in early in the morning and want to mope around the place for the day. Used to be able to leave luggage in 30th St Station and trains go to NY I think every hour 24/7.

For film buffs it is the station the first murder scene in Witness was filmed.

J70

Quote from: Rois on March 12, 2013, 12:08:46 PM
I was only trying to be helpful and got the internet equivalent of "everything you've said is rubbish"  :P

Well the £320 includes flight from Philly to NY with just an hr and a half layover - the saving def worth it this time (means he has more to spend on NY goods for me...)

Not the way it was meant!

And I missed that you meant a connection in Philly! I thought Philly as your end point, meaning ground trip to NYC from there. In that case, very good tip!!

heganboy

little tip for you all:
when you go to Macys at Herald square (34thst) go straight to customer service with your  (non-US) passport and get the 11% off everything voucher...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

magpie seanie

Quote from: heganboy on March 12, 2013, 03:08:23 PM
little tip for you all:
when you go to Macys at Herald square (34thst) go straight to customer service with your  (non-US) passport and get the 11% off everything voucher...

Yes - this is not an urban myth. I've done it several times myself.

5 Sams

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2013, 03:29:39 PM
Quote from: heganboy on March 12, 2013, 03:08:23 PM
little tip for you all:

Yes - this is not an urban myth. I've done it several times myself.

Yep mise fosta.
The Aristocrat Years

JimStynes

Any recommendations for outlet shopping? Is it worth the trip to Jersey to avoid the sales tax?

Isnt there an outlet called Woodbury Common? Meant to be good

heganboy

Quote from: JimStynes on March 12, 2013, 08:45:53 PM
Or as its known in our house "hell on earth"
There are busses from port authority. There in an hour. Great prices, but it is an outlet store so quality can be a bit lower than the regular brand...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

gallsman

Quote from: heganboy on March 12, 2013, 10:08:58 PM
Or as its known in our house "hell on earth"
There are busses from port authority. There in an hour. Great prices, but it is an outlet store so quality can be a bit lower than the regular brand...

I'd read about that - would there be significant savings to be made vs getting the international discount in Macy's etc? We'll likely be looking to spend several hundred Euro each so could spare half a day to go to an outlet.

J70

As HB says, the quality can be a bit questionable. There's a reason these stores are selling their gear at a consistently lower price. It may simply be something like an improperly finished label, but you have to be careful.

Personally, I'd stick to the city (or take the PATH train across to Newport Mall in Jersey City if you want slightly lower sales tax). The West 34th St area has Macy's, JC Penney's, The Gap and tonnes of other shoe and clothes shops (avoid the likes of Old Navy - gear is very low quality and they're basically the down market brand of the company that owns The Gap and Banana Republic). If you're happy with jeans like Levi's, JC Penney always sells them for about $45 (lower during sales). And then there's the international tax refund which HB gave more detailed info about.

If you're after outdoor gear, Macy's carries stuff like The North Face and Columbia, but the best are dedicated outdoor stores like REI (Houston St) or Eastern Mountain Sports (SOHO and Upper West Side). Paragon Sports on Union Square covers all kinds of sports and carries a huge range. The likes of The North Face and Patagonia have their own dedicated stores in SOHO and the Upper West Side as well.

Carmen Stateside

Woodbury common is well worth the bus ride.  Clothes are high quality ,just out of season.  If you plan to shop around the city just take an open cheque with you. On the way to Woodbury you will pass Palasades Mall.  All your high end stores under one roof. 

Rois

Woodbury Common is one of those Premium Outlet places?  I visited two of those in September - one between SF and Monterey, the other outside Palm Springs.  I spent a fortune and def saved a good bit on handbags (two of).  BF got a few pairs of sports shoes and we both spent a bit in Izod where there was stacks of money off golf and running stuff. 

supersarsfields

The good wife just surprised me with trip to NYC now for the end of July for a birthday pressie. We had a wish list of things that we would like to do. We're staying in Fitzwilliam (Or maybe Fitzgerald's) hotel in Manhattan. Only staying for 4 days so would like to get as much done as possible. So far we would like to do

Statue of Liberty
Ellis Island
Top of the rock
Times Square
Central park (Preferable bike ride)
Broadway show
Shopping day
Was told to take in grand central terminal as well.
Ground Zero

All very touristy things I know. But is there any other things that we shouldn't miss over there. Or is there any on the list that we should avoid? Was told not to bother with Empire state building if doing Top of the rock.
Also would be planning a good nite out on the saturday, ideally would like a good Irish bar that's local to the hotel, so if anyone has recommendations on that as well? 
Also, roughly speaking what sort of Dollars would ya go through over 4 days (Ignoring the shopping side obviously) doing these sort of things? Is drink and food expensive over there?

J70

You probably mean Fitzpatrick's. One right beside Grand Central, another a little further uptown, near Central Park.