the future of the Intercounty game

Started by caprea, October 24, 2017, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Dublin should be split, and regional teams should be created. They go hand in hand.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on October 25, 2017, 03:24:19 PM
Dublin should be split, and regional teams should be created. They go hand in hand.

What do you mean by regional teams? You think we should split Dublin, and then create teams like the Westmeath/Offaly/Roscommon Shannonsiders or something?

If they do that, they can forget about my euros. The only reason I go to games is because the players represent me or my place.

Owen Brannigan

Any attempt to restructure the GAA beyond existing county boundaries would have to restructure the provincial setups, this will never happen and so the status quo will remain for the foreseeable future.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2017, 03:38:28 PM

What do you mean by regional teams? You think we should split Dublin, and then create teams like the Westmeath/Offaly/Roscommon Shannonsiders or something?

If they do that, they can forget about my euros. The only reason I go to games is because the players represent me or my place.
Laois/Offaly has a nice ring to it and of course would represent all 150k who live there.
Sure ye're all the same there anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on October 25, 2017, 03:45:03 PM

Laois/Offaly has a nice ring to it and of course would represent all 150k who live there.
Sure ye're all the same there anyway.

That is the most horrible thing anyone has ever said to me.

Syferus

If you went to school in Ballagh you might have a different idea of how fluid borders really are, and the problems they engender. There's room for a county-based competition, particularly provincially, but when it comes to Sam there needs to be a reasonable expectation that teams are on an even footing. Ghettoising counties into tiers, like Zulu promotes, is not an answer in any way, shape or form.

You can be sure our grandkids won't be worrying about a Ballagh lad and a Castlerea buck playing together if they're watching their team win an AI.

AZOffaly

They f**king will if it's a Moate lad and a Ferbane lad!

Zulu

Sorry what was my plan Syferus? I know you have difficulty understanding even simple concepts but I haven't promoted a tiered system. As for 'ghettoising' counties, well unfortunately that type of daftness seems to be level of your discourse.

So your solution is to split Dublin and Cork and amalgamate smaller counties? Right, outside of it being totally unrealistic and something hardly any GAA person would support, it solves nothing. As AZ said, people support their own county and few people would readily support amalgamations. What about big counties like Tipperary or Limerick that are unsuccessful? Can they join together or if they become successful will they be split?

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on October 25, 2017, 04:14:06 PM

If you went to school in Ballagh you might have a different idea of how fluid borders really are, and the problems they engender. There's room for a county-based competition, particularly provincially, but when it comes to Sam there needs to be a reasonable expectation that teams are on an even footing. Ghettoising counties into tiers, like Zulu promotes, is not an answer in any way, shape or form.

You can be sure our grandkids won't be worrying about a Ballagh lad and a Castlerea buck playing together if they're watching their team win an AI.

not an answer in any shape or form yet the club structure nationally is based on it.......

tonto1888

when have teams ever been a reasonable expectation that teams have been on an equal footing?
Take Armagh for example. Barring a freak few years 1999-2006, when have we ever been of an equal footing with all the others? What about Fermanagh? Antrim?

Syferus

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 25, 2017, 04:36:39 PM

when have teams ever been a reasonable expectation that teams have been on an equal footing?
Take Armagh for example. Barring a freak few years 1999-2006, when have we ever been of an equal footing with all the others? What about Fermanagh? Antrim?

That's like saying a child in Africa doesn't need clean water because they haven't had it in the past. What does what has happened previously have to do with what's needed to make the game fairer and a genuine competition rather than a race to see who's runner-up to a team with a population exceeding most provinces?

Orchard park

and it should be noted Syferus  Dublin still with only 93 gaa clubs and huge areas not remotely involved in GAA.

soccer is king in that horriblly inaccurate term "working class" dublin and there are more non nationals in dublin than anywhere else.

now i sit back and wait for terms like financial doping to be thrown about

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on October 25, 2017, 04:42:20 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on October 25, 2017, 04:36:39 PM

That's like saying a child in Africa doesn't need clean water because they haven't had it in the past. What does what has happened previously have to do with what's needed to make the game fairer and a genuine competition rather than a race to see who's runner-up to a team with a population exceeding most provinces?

I have misunderstood you but that's still a really daft analogy.
So if we are only talking about going forward from here on in and leaving the past out of it. How can Armagh or Fermanagh or Antrim, or Roscommon even. What is going to give those four counties, and others like them, a reasonable expectation of being on an equal footing.

armaghniac

Quote from: Orchard park on October 25, 2017, 04:48:27 PM
and it should be noted Syferus  Dublin still with only 93 gaa clubs and huge areas not remotely involved in GAA.

That's in part because some of these clubs are enormous and should be split too.

Quotesoccer is king in that horriblly inaccurate term "working class" dublin and there are more non nationals in dublin than anywhere else.

Further promotion of the GAA should take place in these areas, but if this is successful it should not be allowed distort national competitions further. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zulu

Did you not hear tonto1888, you join them together and hey presto problem solved. I don't have the time to dismantle this daft idea but a 5 minute consideration would result in anyone realising it totally unrealistic and unmanageable.