Ciaran McKeever

Started by Owen Brannigan, August 15, 2017, 09:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Ciaran McKeever released the following statement today announcing his retirement from inter county football:

"It was always my dream to represent Armagh growing up so it's with a heavy heart that I announce my retirement from inter-county football today. It has been a great honour to have been part of the Armagh squad from 2003-2017, as captain for six of those years, and this is not a decision I have arrived at lightly.

"Having met with Kieran McGeeney at the end of 2016 after undergoing two operations, I was unsure of my inter-county future but we decided to try and get the body right for one more year and I believe the time is now right to call it a day.

"I would like to thank every Armagh manager who I have worked under and all county board officials for their continued support throughout my career. Also to my club St Patrick's Cullyhanna, in particular Ciarán McConville who gave up so much of his time to develop my game.

"My journey as a county player has been truly wonderful – it has been a privilege to have been involved with such an incredible group of footballers and I am very fortunate to have tasted the ultimate success at international, provincial and county level and captaining Armagh's U-21s to All-Ireland success in 2004 was a special highlight.

"While always an enormous commitment, playing for Armagh was a fantastic experience and I would like to thank the many people who supported me during my career, particularly my parents Majella and Michael as well as all my family and friends.

"I was always proud to be the Armagh Rep for the Gaelic Players Association and I'd like to thank the GPA for their support and I look forward to remaining active with the players' body in the future.

"I'd also like to thank Denis Hollywood, Armagh GAA Games and Coaching Officer, for spending endless hours with me on a one to one basis as he helped to improve my knowledge of the game and develop the skill set needed to succeed at this level.

"I'd like to pay special thanks to Kieran McGeeney, who I always looked up to as a youngster from my days travelling to watch Armagh play. When I joined the squad in 2003, he took me under his wing and helped me develop as a player, he taught me what commitment and values were required to play for Armagh and I'm glad my journey has ended under his watch. I'd like to wish Kieran and the Armagh squad all the best in 2018 and into the future."

Owen Brannigan

Thanks to Ciaran McKeever for everything he gave to Armagh football over the last 14 years, never less than 100%.

Orior

Good leaving statement and not one cuss word in it!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano

A great servant to Armagh, total commitment to the cause and will be a huge loss.

SkillfulBill

Great servant to Armagh. He is one of those players who the opposition love to hate but would love to have playing in their colours. Best of luck to him in his retirement.

regal

Best of luck to ciaran on his retirement. A superb footballer who i always enjoyed watching.

He was unlucky with injuries since getting injured during our run to the QF in 2014. He put in some excellent performances in the championship that year

omaghjoe

His cameo in his final match was very fitting I felt

tonto1888

A great player for us. I wish him well for the future.

naka

Glad he played for us.
He served the orchard well and personally always felt he would give his all for Armagh.
I wish him well.

sensethetone

What would the Armagh lads consider his best performance?

LCohen

A better player than the rest of the country ever gave him credit for. Great pace over the short distance, attacked every breaking ball like his life depended on it and had the football skills good passer and point taker.

Got involved in too much of the side show on and off the field for my liking. Probably not as good a player as the current eulogies make out. Strong and long lasting intercounty player but not quite all star material. Even on a good day.

Time for someone to step up and take his role

tonto1888

Quote from: LCohen on August 16, 2017, 05:18:48 PM
A better player than the rest of the country ever gave him credit for. Great pace over the short distance, attacked every breaking ball like his life depended on it and had the football skills good passer and point taker.

Got involved in too much of the side show on and off the field for my liking. Probably not as good a player as the current eulogies make out. Strong and long lasting intercounty player but not quite all star material. Even on a good day.

Time for someone to step up and take his role

What off the field stuff did he ever get involved in

rrhf

Always think it's a Nice touch to thank your club coach.  Tough few years in the orange jersey giving his all and matured into a better player as the years went by.

5 Sams

I never liked McKeever...gave him abuse many's a time from the stands and the sofa...BUT thats the sign of a good player. He wound me up because he wound our lads up. A decent player...the type of player you want on your side. Maybe not in the same class as the class of '02 but I admired him.
The Aristocrat Years

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.