All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2017, 09:37:15 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 31, 2017, 09:35:30 PM
That's exactly my point, we shouldn't have wayward kickouts, nothing to do with mobility.

Cillian is slow alright but he's a decent tackler as evidenced by the amount of turnovers he wins. He's also our best passer and would be able to feed the men inside. He could rotate with Loftus as needed. With himself, Andy and Loftus on the pitch, we'd have a much bigger scoring threat.

If you had a real scoring forward line Andy would be the impact sub off the bench.

Agreed but it's not like there's a whole bunch of top quality inside forwards who are just being ignored.

INDIANA

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 31, 2017, 09:43:35 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2017, 09:37:15 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 31, 2017, 09:35:30 PM
That's exactly my point, we shouldn't have wayward kickouts, nothing to do with mobility.

Cillian is slow alright but he's a decent tackler as evidenced by the amount of turnovers he wins. He's also our best passer and would be able to feed the men inside. He could rotate with Loftus as needed. With himself, Andy and Loftus on the pitch, we'd have a much bigger scoring threat.

If you had a real scoring forward line Andy would be the impact sub off the bench.

Agreed but it's not like there's a whole bunch of top quality inside forwards who are just being ignored.

Conor Loftus gives a decent impersonation of one quite regularly but it seems being able to score is an optional extra in Mayo

macdanger2

weareros

Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2017, 09:30:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2017, 09:23:04 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 31, 2017, 09:19:09 PM
Cillian doesn't have the work rate for a HF? Are you for real? He's one of the hardest working forwards around ffs.

How exactly does the mobility of the roscommon MF explain why we lost two of our own kickouts unchallenged??  :o

It's very easy for the faster guy to position himself under a wayaward kick before players with the turning radius of small trucks like the O'Sheas.

Until COC suddenly becomes faster and he learns how to tackle he's a serious liability tracking back. He's starting to pick up the reputation for dirt that he has had here and in Dublin for years on a national scale now, so his room for collar tackles and body checks is becoming much lower. If you really think he can mark someone like Conor Devanney or Sean Mulholly go right ahead but McStay will look at COC's channel as an open invitation to attack.

Have Roscommon morphed into some sort of a footballing stronghold recently ?

I must have missed that bit.

To be fair that was the best chance you'll have get of being in an all ireland semi final maybe ever.

A cold hard ruthess anaylsis would say you blew a huge opportunity against a Mayo team who played Keegan aside as poorly as they possibly could.

Where are all these great forwards Roscommon are supposed to have?

Yet scored more in their senior championship debut in Croke Park against Mayo than Dublin's fancy dan's did in the All-Ireland last year...

INDIANA

Quote from: weareros on July 31, 2017, 10:08:52 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 31, 2017, 09:30:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2017, 09:23:04 PM
Cillian doesn't have the work rate for a HF? Are you for real? He's one of the hardest working forwards around ffs.

How exactly does the mobility of the roscommon MF explain why we lost two of our own kickouts unchallenged??  :o

It's very easy for the faster guy to position himself under a wayaward kick before players with the turning radius of small trucks like the O'Sheas.

Until COC suddenly becomes faster and he learns how to tackle he's a serious liability tracking back. He's starting to pick up the reputation for dirt that he has had here and in Dublin for years on a national scale now, so his room for collar tackles and body checks is becoming much lower. If you really think he can mark someone like Conor Devanney or Sean Mulholly go right ahead but McStay will look at COC's channel as an open invitation to attack.

Have Roscommon morphed into some sort of a footballing stronghold recently ?

I must have missed that bit.

To be fair that was the best chance you'll have get of being in an all ireland semi final maybe ever.

A cold hard ruthess anaylsis would say you blew a huge opportunity against a Mayo team who played Keegan aside as poorly as they possibly could.

Where are all these great forwards Roscommon are supposed to have?

Yet scored more in their senior championship debut in Croke Park against Mayo than Dublin's fancy dan's did in the All-Ireland last year...

I seem to recall picking up a trophy at the end of it though..............

yellowcard

I find some of Rochford decision making bizarre at times, it's almost like he has pre ordained substitutions in mind before the match starts. Like subbing Boyle yesterday made no sense, taking Moran off in the Connacht final, starting Hennelly in last years AI final replay there are several instances of poor decision making. I think Mayo will get over Roscommon as the better side generally tends to prevail in replays but I think that will be as far as they get this year.

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on July 31, 2017, 10:36:14 PM
I find some of Rochford decision making bizarre at times, it's almost like he has pre ordained substitutions in mind before the match starts. Like subbing Boyle yesterday made no sense, taking Moran off in the Connacht final, starting Hennelly in last years AI final replay there are several instances of poor decision making. I think Mayo will get over Roscommon as the better side generally tends to prevail in replays but I think that will be as far as they get this year.

The better side always prevails.

manfromdelmonte

agreed
goes around looking to belt lads and fall onto lads with his knees

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2017, 10:49:03 PM

Football is psychological. Kerry aren't always the best team in matches they win.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

I see a few know alls have us written off again.
Getting kind of used to it now.
Bookies are at it again too- we were 4/1 v Galway, round 3/1 last Sunday and 11/4 next week.
Wouldn't you think we'd know our place and just feckin lose so the media's big friends can get on with sorting out the All Ireland without us lads from Ireland's Gaza Strip fcukn things up.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2017, 11:11:52 PM
I see a few know alls have us written off again.
Getting kind of used to it now.
Bookies are at it again too- we were 4/1 v Galway, round 3/1 last Sunday and 11/4 next week.
Wouldn't you think we'd know our place and just feckin lose so the media's big friends can get on with sorting out the All Ireland without us lads from Ireland's Gaza Strip fcukn things up.

Colm Keys was complaining about us ruining Mayo's three weeks of rest for the Kerry game in the Indo today. There's only one way to make them learn their lesson.

Gold

Totally agree.  No way should he have taken Moran off...idc what age he is. He'd scored a point then was out in front and laid a ball off...1 minute later he was taken off...totally preordained as he is over 30.  Totally wrong as Mayo wouldve been in a semi if he'd stayed on
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

From the Bunker

This has been doing the rounds on Facebook!

***TO ALL ROSCOMMON AND MAYO SUPPORTERS...JUST AN IDEA WE COULD ALL RUN WITH NEXT MONDAY IN CROKE PARK...IT JUST TAKES A MINUTE TO READ...LIKE AND SHARE THIS POST IF YOU AGREE...

In the 7th minute of next Monday's game, we're asking Roscommon and Mayo supporters to give our players a round of applause - a gesture which will also serve to condemn the booing and the verbal abuse of all players.

In this photo, Mayo players Willie Joe Padden and Eugene Lavin lift Dermot Earley shoulder high after the final whistle in the 1985 Connacht SFC final. Mayo won with a bit to spare but that moment of mutual respect and appreciation doesn't get much better. We want to send out this same message to all supporters when it comes to watching games involving their team and opposing teams.

The legendary Dermot Earley passed away in 2010, seven years ago, and we're suggesting that the collective round of applause for Mayo and Roscommon players should take place in the 7th minute of next Monday's game in Croke Park.

What better way to send out the message far and wide that we all condemn the booing and verbal abuse of our amateur players who fill us with such pride and provide so much excitement for all of us.

Syferus

Nice thought but it's the day trippers and teenagers from both counties that will do it regardless.

It's a part of the sport whatever way you try to cut it, but the Mayo whiter than white attitude was severely embarrassing because I sat there in Croke Park and watched Mayo supporters boo every possession by Diarmuid Connolly and he did far less to roil up the opposition than Andy did. I think Andy may well have gotten a great reception from Roscommon supporters when he retired but he sank that ship with his childishness in January. I won't lie and say I didn't take a bit of extra enjoyment from Niall Mc making him look his age yesterday.

I only care about the result, not if someone boos or doesn't boo a player or decision.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2017, 10:49:03 PM

If that was the case, Syf Mayo would be the current AI champions!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi