All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2017, 01:18:50 AM
Proud of our gallant lads today and hoping they can apply the coup de gras  to an ailing Mayowestros outfit the next day.
By the way the whinging on the mayoblog is amusing.
Also seems inebriated Rhubarbs were fighting among themselves on trains tonight.
Ah well....

As in foie gras? I suppose the lads could do with a bit of fattening up indeed! :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 31, 2017, 04:52:53 PM
Don't mind them Syfīn, we came of age today and proved we can play in Croke Park and compete with a top 3 team.
Heroism all around, great start , totally lost our way, better players didn't perform, came back and in a nip and tuck contest with one of the top teams held our own.
Proud of our gallant lads today and hoping they can apply the coup de gras to an ailing Mayowestros outfit the next day.
Also seems inebriated Rhubarbs were fighting among themselves on trains tonight.
Ah well....

Not that I think all Rossies are like this but four 16yos beat up a mayo lad in front my sister, the man was in his 60s, saw pictures of his face afterwards, disgraceful. drunk as lords but the gaurds took them away

Mayo people really are reaching deep into the barrel on social media and here post-match. Get the fúck on with the football.

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2017, 05:04:19 PM
Don't mind them Syfīn, we came of age today and proved we can play in Croke Park and compete with a top 3 team.
Heroism all around, great start , totally lost our way, better players didn't perform, came back and in a nip and tuck contest with one of the top teams held our own.
Proud of our gallant lads today and hoping they can apply the coup de gras to an ailing Mayowestros outfit the next day.
Ah well....

Not that I think all Rossies are like this but four 16yos beat up a mayo lad in front my sister, the man was in his 60s, saw pictures of his face afterwards, disgraceful. drunk as lords but the gaurds took them away

Mayo people really are reaching deep into the barrel on social media and here post-match. Get the fúck on with the football.

Haha....I told you there'd be war on the train.Trains are like late night kebab shops....avoid unless you want a belt in the puss.

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 31, 2017, 04:56:51 PM
Proud of our gallant lads today and hoping they can apply the coup de gras  to an ailing Mayowestros outfit the next day.
Ah well....

As in foie gras? I suppose the lads could do with a bit of fattening up indeed! :P ;)
might be something to.do with fat larry
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Beffs

Not half as disgraceful as your English teacher getting a regular pay cheque.  ::)

Wildweasel74

If mayo are struggling at full back why didnt they try conor o shea there during the league he has the height and am sure could be converted to fullback, as for forwards Mayo have had 6yrs to find corner forwards but come up with none

dublin7

Played Dublin in croke park with almost a 1st choice team while Dublin played several youngsters. The senior players like Andy Moran should have been given time off in the league and the younger players introduced and given the chance to get match experience. Instead they are still relying on the same players and were bringing on defenders for forwards at the end

thewobbler

Mayo's coaching and management does make you wonder. Maybe the main core of players have crept on a little too far in terms of years, but apart from Keegan and Boyle, when the rest of them cross the halfway line you can almost hear them getting confused (Stephen says keep it, Donal says run with it, Tony says kick it... so what am I to do?).

They're all smarter football men than me but if they could maybe just settle in on a preferred attacking style (which, if best performances over the past 5 years are any indication, would be to run like the clappers at the opposition and let Andy/Cillian come around the shoulder), then they will take Roscommon easily enough. Rossies are a spirited bunch, but Mayo's defence is surely too experienced at marking better players to allow them a big tally.

Seeing as I'm handing advice out to those who do know better, also
start Parsons, see if Andy can last 70 mins, and keep Vaughan the feck away.

macdanger2

Watched the game back there, dunno how Cillian missed those last few chances, one in particular was simple enough. That said, roscommon missed some handy chances in the first half.

I thought we struggled a bit at MF, on at least two occasions Clarke went long and roscommon claimed the ball unchallenged, how can that happen with the amount of big men we have around the middle? Parsons not starting but then deemed fit enough to start was a strange one.

We seemed to give an unbelievable amount of stray passes, it looked like players were tired which probably isn't surprising considering the amount of games we've had.

Would we be better starting Loftus and playing Cillian as a half forward to give us a bit more up front?

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 31, 2017, 09:01:20 PM
Watched the game back there, dunno how Cillian missed those last few chances, one in particular was simple enough. That said, roscommon missed some handy chances in the first half.

I thought we struggled a bit at MF, on at least two occasions Clarke went long and roscommon claimed the ball unchallenged, how can that happen with the amount of big men we have around the middle? Parsons not starting but then deemed fit enough to start was a strange one.

We seemed to give an unbelievable amount of stray passes, it looked like players were tired which probably isn't surprising considering the amount of games we've had.

Would we be better starting Loftus and playing Cillian as a half forward to give us a bit more up front?

Roscommon's midfield is way more mobile than Mayo's, that's why. Parsons doesn't solve those problems.

COC hasn't the workrate for a HF.

macdanger2

Cillian doesn't have the work rate for a HF? Are you for real? He's one of the hardest working forwards around ffs.

How exactly does the mobility of the roscommon MF explain why we lost two of our own kickouts unchallenged??  :o

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 31, 2017, 09:19:09 PM
Cillian doesn't have the work rate for a HF? Are you for real? He's one of the hardest working forwards around ffs.

How exactly does the mobility of the roscommon MF explain why we lost two of our own kickouts unchallenged??  :o

It's very easy for the faster guy to position himself under a wayaward kick before players with the turning radius of small trucks like the O'Sheas.

Until COC suddenly becomes faster and he learns how to tackle he's a serious liability tracking back. He's starting to pick up the reputation for dirt that he has had here and in Dublin for years on a national scale now, so his room for collar tackles and body checks is becoming much lower. If you really think he can mark someone like Conor Devanney or Sean Mulholly go right ahead but McStay will look at COC's channel as an open invitation to attack.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on July 31, 2017, 09:23:04 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 31, 2017, 09:19:09 PM

It's very easy for the faster guy to position himself under a wayaward kick before players with the turning radius of small trucks like the O'Sheas.

Until COC suddenly becomes faster and he learns how to tackle he's a serious liability tracking back. He's starting to pick up the reputation for dirt that he has had here and in Dublin for years on a national scale now, so his room for collar tackles and body checks is becoming much lower. If you really think he can mark someone like Conor Devanney or Sean Mulholly go right ahead but McStay will look at COC's channel as an open invitation to attack.

Have Roscommon morphed into some sort of a footballing stronghold recently ?

I must have missed that bit.

To be fair that was the best chance you'll have get of being in an all ireland semi final maybe ever.

A cold hard ruthess anaylsis would say you blew a huge opportunity against a Mayo team who played Keegan aside as poorly as they possibly could.

Where are all these great forwards Roscommon are supposed to have?

macdanger2

That's exactly my point, we shouldn't have wayward kickouts, nothing to do with mobility.

Cillian is slow alright but he's a decent tackler as evidenced by the amount of turnovers he wins. He's also our best passer and would be able to feed the men inside. He could rotate with Loftus as needed. With himself, Andy and Loftus on the pitch, we'd have a much bigger scoring threat.

INDIANA

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 31, 2017, 09:35:30 PM
That's exactly my point, we shouldn't have wayward kickouts, nothing to do with mobility.

Cillian is slow alright but he's a decent tackler as evidenced by the amount of turnovers he wins. He's also our best passer and would be able to feed the men inside. He could rotate with Loftus as needed. With himself, Andy and Loftus on the pitch, we'd have a much bigger scoring threat.

If you had a real scoring forward line Andy would be the impact sub off the bench.